THE BROWNS BOARD

Predictions For Remaining 2010 Draft Picks And 2011 Draft Picks

Harry Buffalo

2010 Draft Picks:

1st Round:

Joe Haden: He did really great in the second half of last season when he finally got to start but this season I see teams starting to focus on what ever side of the field he is not on, meaning that we should also see Sheldon Brown have more INT's than last season. Having said this since he will be starting the whole season I see his INT and pass deflection numbers to remain about the same and possible improve a little bit.

80 tackles, 6-8 INT's.

2nd Round:

T.J. Ward: Another player who surprised us last season. I didn't think this guy was good enough to start when we drafted him but he proved me wrong. Seemed to improve in his coverage ability last season and if he spent the off season continuing to work on his coverage and hands he should be able to do even better improving on last years INT total. I don't see him having quite the tackle count he had last season since I don't think they will keep him on special teams as much but I still see him having a 100+ tackle season.

100 tackles, 4 INT's

Montario Hardesty: Never got to see the guy play do to his torn ACL. From looking at his college play he is a Peyton Hillis clone with slightly less strength, and slightly more speed and agility along with the craziest spin move I have ever seen. I think he will make it through at least most of the season healthy but will still miss between 2-4 games with some kind of injury, but when he plays I think he should be able to make an impact in both the running game and the passing game.

100-150 carries for 500-650 yards, 25 catches for 150 yards, 5 total TD's

3rd Round:

Colt McCoy: This will be the season for McCoy. I think he will show that he improved his arm strength over the off-season and that he will do better in the final 4 cold weather games. He should at least break 3000 yards passing since he broke 1500 passing last season in 8 games where they had him manage the game more than actually go out and play. I also think he should have more of a 1.5 - 1 or 2 - 1 TD to INT ratio next season. Will Andrew Luck be a better NFL QB, more than likely. Will McCoy show us that he has enough talent that we don't need to look anywhere else for a QB regardless of who it is. YES!

3500 yards and 25 TD's to 12-15 INT's

Shawn Lauvao: Only got 1 start I think last season and didn't get to have any back up duty until the second half of the season do to having a bad high ankle sprain in the first half. When he was on the field he didn't look that great, but that can be expected of a rookie third round pick making not only the transition to the NFL but from tackle to guard. I still think Lauvao has a good chance to be a good starter at RT and eventually take over on the left side after Steinbach retires.

Will play in all 16 games, starts at least 8 and will give up 4ish sacks.

6th Round:

Carlton Mitchel: Has great potential but was only on the active roster for a hand full of games last season and only had one play whcih was a 9 yard run on and end around. I personally expect the reason he didn't see the field last season was because he not only had to spend a lot of training camp focusing on his catching ability and making sure he caught with his hands instead of his body, but he then had to spend the season working on his route running ability. When you add all that together that left very little room to work on his blocking which was pretty much the WR's #1 job last season. I'm not saying that Mitchel be the #1 guy next season, but he should definitely make some sort of impact.

25 catches, 350 yards, 2 TD's. 10ish tackles on special teams.

2011 Draft

1st Round:

Phil Taylor: A big and physical DT from Baylor who shows alot of positives to outweigh alot of his negatives. His negatives are that he had to transfer from Penn State do to off field issues and that he used to be 385 pounds. The positives are that he has kept his nose clean all his years at Baylor (he even goes out and does missionary work now) and he has lost a lot of weight and is keeping it off (is now around 335). He is coming in to be a run stuffer which I think he will do quite well at next to Rubin. Having those two guys should free up our linebacker and allow Rubin to improve on his 2 sack season last year and Taylor him self should get 1 or 2 sacks as well.

60sih tackles, 1-2 sacks.

2nd Round:

Jabaal Sheard: Was one of the top 5 pass rushers in this years draft. I think keeping him at DE will be great for him and that he would have struggled more in a 3-4 as an OLB. His rookie season won't be his best but he can and should be a pro bowler after he manages to put on 20 more pounds in the next 2-3 years. Even though he was a good run stopper in college, due to his weight he should struggle with it to start out and he has enough speed rushing moves to get by.

40 - 50 tackles, 8 sacks.

Greg Little: Plays mean which I like and has great hands and jumping ability. He already knows the WCO which should make his transition better than some of our WR currently on the roster even though he didn't play any football last season. His strength his first season will more likely be in red zone situations.

50-60 catches, 800 yards, 8 TD's

4th Round:

Jordan Cameron: A Physical freak but only has 2 years of football experience and only 1 year of experience at TE. This is a guy who should either sink or swim. A high ceiling the likes of which could match Gates in SD. Should make immediate impacts on special teams, red zone, and maybe even see some time as a slot reciever.

20 catches 250-350 yards, 4 or 5 TD's

Owen Marecic: Will be starting right away and should be on par or a little bit under where Vickers was with is blocking, but also offer us another option as a short yardage rusher and in the passing game. Will become an instant fan favorite.

10-20 rushes for 20-40 yards and 2 TD's 10-20 receptions for 150 yards and 2 TD's

5th Round:

Buster Skrine: Will make an instant impact on special teams. Has all the physical tools except for weight and height. Was good in Division 1-AA even though he had 4 different DB coaches in 4 years, so how good he becomes really just depends on how well that actually factored into how well he played in college. If he can be coaches well be could be looking at a potential pro bowler in a few years, if not he should be a serviceable nickle or dime CB who will give us a nice speed option as a return man.

20 tackles 1 INT 1 defensive or special team TD

Jason Pinkston: I think he can become a good guard or tackle in the NFL if he changes his weight room attitude alone. Even though he apparently never worked that hard on his strength and had shorter arms he still managed to be a great tackle at Pitt and was an All American his junior season. I don't see him starting ahead of Lauvao this season but if both Pashos and Wommack go down with injuries he could spot start at tackle.

Plays in 8 games, 1 or 2 starts, allows 2 sacks (would be more if he had more playing time)

7th Round:

Eric Hagg: Nebraska's MVP fell very far in last years draft. He had good INT numbers and tackle numbers for his career and is way better than last years 5th round pick Assante who we took in the 5th round. Hagg is a steal in the 7th round but how much of an impact he will make this season off of special teams in really just a guess. I think he should be able to do great things as a special teamer, finally allowing us to get rid of that dead wieght known as Soresen, but I just don't know what kind of impact he will actually make on defense. I know that he is very versatile as a DB. He played what they called a nickel safety in which was a LB/Saftey hybrid type of role. Jauron has said Hagg can play anywhere from nickle or dime corner to FS and that it is possible that Hagg has the ability to take over the starting spot at FS some time during the season. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if this guy also saw some time at LB either.

20 - 40 tackles with 1 INT 1 FF

So Greg Little immediately becomes your best receiving option? Not trying to be a dick but the only person to come close to 800 yards receiving last season was Ben Watson I believe. Although McCoy should definitely be improved. I actually thought he was pretty good last season and the other guys should step up as well. I just don't see a guy that realistically could be option 4 in a offense putting up 800 yards receiving.

1. Watson

2. Momass?

3. Hillis

4. Little?

So Greg Little immediately becomes your best receiving option? Not trying to be a dick but the only person to come close to 800 yards receiving last season was Ben Watson I believe. Although McCoy should definitely be improved. I actually thought he was pretty good last season and the other guys should step up as well. I just don't see a guy that realistically could be option 4 in a offense putting up 800 yards receiving.

1. Watson

2. Momass?

3. Hillis

4. Little?

Well the goal this year is to use the WR's more is it not. I can agree that it is unclear who the #1 WR will be but my money is on Little. Hillis should still see some catches but he won't be as much of a focus in the passing game as he was last season. I think the same goes for Watson as well. I think in the passing game you will see the 1st and 2nd reads being WR's alot more often than they are TE's and HB's.

Well the goal this year is to use the WR's more is it not. I can agree that it is unclear who the #1 WR will be but my money is on Little. Hillis should still see some catches but he won't be as much of a focus in the passing game as he was last season. I think the same goes for Watson as well. I think in the passing game you will see the 1st and 2nd reads being WR's alot more often than they are TE's and HB's.

McCoy is still a young QB and has a new Coach. I can still see Watson and Hillis being the safety valves but with the switch to the WCO you may be right. Either way I'm still not seeing a very raw rookie stepping in and snagging 50-60 balls for 800 yards.

I havent been excited about a Browns rookie as Much as I am about Little in a long time. I LOVE this kid even before we drafted him and I happen to think he is the perfect fit for the WCO. I could see him having a very similar season to what Mike Williams had last year for Tampa or comparable to Mike Wallace in 2009.

To me 800 yards as a rookie is totally realistic. And I think he is a future STUD.

The one thing I will cherry pick on this is Montario Hardesty's stats. Even if he is healthy, 5.0 YPC seems a bit high for a guy that never saw 5.0 YPC in college.

That was obviously the best case scenario and in my opinion only possible as being the alternate to a hard runner like Hillis. I said 100-150 carries for 500-650 yards. He could easily have the 150 carries for 500 yards which would leave him with a 3 YPC average. I don't really see him having under a 4 YPC average though.

i know the thread is about the picks of the past two years but why wouldn't momass be the number one receiving option this year especially with the new system we're going to run and the work he's done in the offseason?

i know the thread is about the picks of the past two years but why wouldn't momass be the number one receiving option this year especially with the new system we're going to run and the work he's done in the offseason?

He could and he couldn't. I personally think Robo we surpass MoMass this season but Im not going to get excited or pissed about either until I can see what they can do in the new offense.

Not to say MoMass is going to be a bum. I obviously don;t know what he is going to do this year. But what did he show you last year to think otherwise?? He honestly had no signs of improvement from year 1 to year 2.

Little is obviously an unknown but he has loads of potential.

And RoBo started to play decently at the end of the year last year

Guest c-dawg

Solid post. I like your reasoning.

I hope someone pans out on the right side of our line soon, it'd be great to lock that down.

Thanks for keeping us focused.

1. Watson

2. Momass?

3. Hillis

4. Little?

The supposition is that the North/West Coast offense that is being implemented under Shurmur will open up the passing game...which will be an equal opportunity affair for the Browns. Yes, Watson will get his share. As will MoMass, as will little, as will Hillis, and will Jordan Cameron (or is it Cameron Jordan?), such that maybe they all will get about 600-800 yards. I would rather have 5 guys with 800 yards than one with 1500 and the others only 300-400.

I think MoMass has the tools to be a good WR in the league. I'm not sure what is stunting his growth, whether it was inconsistency at QB or problems making adjustments he just didn't improve like we would have hoped. This is surely a make or break year for both Robo and MoMass.

I think both MoMass and Robo have the tools be to good in this league, it's just who knows if they can pull together all the separate pieces that they need to get their game going. This is the last season they will have to show whether or not they deserve to stay on the team, if they don't I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them tossed in order to bring in other young guys or a proven Vet next season.

Archived