THE BROWNS BOARD

Cuts

why cant we win

idk if this is posted anywhere didnt see it but

Delhomme is gone and trusnik to dolphins so far

The Browns will release veteran quarterback Jake Delhomme, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported today. The move can't officially be made until 4:01 p.m. Thursday. Meanwhile, unrestricted free-agent linebacker Jason Trusnik has agreed to a two-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, the Miami Herald reported today. The Dolphins won't be able to officially sign Trusnik, a Nordonia High School graduate who spent the past two seasons with the Browns, until 6 p.m. Friday.

The Browns' plans to cut Delhomme, who was scheduled to make $5.4 million in 2011, are not surprising. Delhomme, 36, would have been third quarterback on the team's depth chart behind projected starter Colt McCoy and backup Seneca Wallace.

Delhomme entered last season as the Browns' starting quarteback, but he suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 1 and was sidelined for the next three games. He returned to action in Week 5, filling in for Wallace after Wallace suffered a high-ankle sprain of his own late in the first half against the Atlanta Falcons. Delhomme, however, was re-injured later during the game.

He started four of the five games in which he appeared last season, compiling a record of 2-2 as the Browns' starting quarterback. He completed 93-of-149 passes for 872 yards and two touchdowns with seven interceptions.

Before signing a two-year contract with the Browns in March of last year, Delhomme spent seven seasons with the Carolina Panthers. He led them to the Super Bowl in 2004 and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2005.

However, Delhomme's final season (2009) with the Panthers was awful. Plagued by a fractured finger on his throwing hand, he played in only 11 games, throwing eight touchdown passes and 18 interceptions. He was cut following the season.

The fact that they cut Delhomme does not mean that he won't be a Cleveland Brown this fall. It just won't be at the price he was scheduled to make. They can bring him back at a cut rate price....assuming no one else wants him for a lot more money than he would get here. Can you see anyone giving Jake a lot more money than the Browns would?

I think we all assumed Jake was gone. He will backup in NO or Car.

Who will be our third string QB? Do we have just camp arms behind Colt and Seneca ... neither of whom have been a starter going into camp before? Guess we'll pick up a clipboard holder when the dust clears.

Zombo

This move is great, the addition by subtraction move..

That's great and all, but sign someone. This just in when heckert was in philly I could have sworn they signed asante samuel from the patriots.

You need to build through the draft but add starters in free agency.

I don't think Heckert is saying we aren't going to sign anyone, just that we shouldn't go out and sign the names that are out there. I just hope we get a starting caliber DE and a RT, and possibly a WR although it seems like that pool is thin. I agree with that philosophy, i mean look at the teams that consistently just go buy the top players. I mean have the redskins and vikings been revelant lately? It's not always about signing a guy just because of the name.

He isn't saying that we are not going to sign someone, just that we are not necessarily going to try and throw money at every single big name out there. He ogt 3 decent names last year and he will go after another 2-3 decent names this year and more than likely pick up several more under radar back up types he thinks might have hidden talent.

He isn't saying that we are not going to sign someone, just that we are not necessarily going to try and throw money at every single big name out there. He ogt 3 decent names last year and he will go after another 2-3 decent names this year and more than likely pick up several more under radar back up types he thinks might have hidden talent.

I hope the "hidden talent" isn't hidden so well it can't surface quickly.

Well look at it like this, He got 10 guys in FA last year. Something like 6 FA (the decent names being Watson Fujita and Pashos) and traded for 4 players (one of them a big name in Sheldon Brown). The hidden talent in this group was Hillis and Gocong who both had career years and you could also argue that Fujita and Watson had hidden value since no one expect Fujita to be able to move to a 3-4 and still perform (career year until he was injured) and Watson killed his carrer bests that he set like 3 seasons ago. So that is 10ish guys in all, he won't do as much this year, but I think you can still expect around 8 new guys to come in along with us retaining some of those UDFA and resigning some of our FA.

I think we all assumed Jake was gone. He will backup in NO or Car.

Who will be our third string QB? Do we have just camp arms behind Colt and Seneca ... neither of whom have been a starter going into camp before? Guess we'll pick up a clipboard holder when the dust clears.

Zombo

Right now they just have McCoy, Wallace, and this (you don't need a) Weatherhead (to tell which way the wind blows) kid they just picked up.

I suspect they may either resign Delhomme at a far reduced rate, or get another (cheap) veteran QB. (can you say Bruce Gradkowski, or J.P. Losman, or even Troy Smith)...or how about another veteran Holmgren has history with: Brett Favre

(made you look :ph34r:

Right now they just have McCoy, Wallace, and this (you don't need a) Weatherhead (to tell which way the wind blows) kid they just picked up.

I suspect they may either resign Delhomme at a far reduced rate, or get another (cheap) veteran QB. (can you say Bruce Gradkowski, or J.P. Losman, or even Troy Smith)...or how about another veteran Holmgren has history with: Brett Favre

(made you look :ph34r:

Gradkowski is going to Cincy to keep the seat warm for Dalton. Just say no to J.P. Blowsmen and Midget Smith.

Zombo

--Derek Anderson is available

Meanwhile, unrestricted free-agent linebacker Jason Trusnik has agreed to a two-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, the Miami Herald reported today. The Dolphins won't be able to officially sign Trusnik, a Nordonia High School graduate who spent the past two seasons with the Browns, until 6 p.m. Friday.

The fact that they cut Delhomme does not mean that he won't be a Cleveland Brown this fall. It just won't be at the price he was scheduled to make. They can bring him back at a cut rate price....assuming no one else wants him for a lot more money than he would get here. Can you see anyone giving Jake a lot more money than the Browns would?

Trusnik another Traitor? What's he going to do in Miami, wash LeBron's cars and mow his lawn?

Regading Jake, I have no objection to bringing him back at vet minimum- that's all he's worth, if McNabb only garnered a couple sixth round picks in a trade- as the emergency third string quarterback.

Really? Trusnik?...we're talking about ...Trusnik? would he even make the roster of either the Steelers or Ravens?

I didn't think so.

Just having a little fun- the guy is a Special Teams player at best. And yeah, the Browns probably didn't even make him an offer. Being from the Cleveland area, I would think he'd have taken it.

Archived