THE BROWNS BOARD

Broderick Bunkley To The Browns!

Crozone

you want us to be like the jets? What exactly have they won? AFC championships are not the goal. Neither are the playoffs. People remember champions. We're not building a team to end up 10-6, we're building to win a superbowl. That's the only goal.

Look at the last 10 or so superbowl champions. Name 1 that did so by making huge splashes in free-agency or trades. Yes the saints picked up brees but there were massive questions about his health, arm strength, and ability to win when it mattered.

Packers main pieces all drafted

Saints main pieces drafted, minus brees who i explained before and vilma who had his own injury concerns and was aquired from the jets for a 4th rounder

Steelers-draft

Colts- draft

Patriots- draft (how many superbowla have they won since bringing in moss and co?)

Giants- draft minus plaxico who was signed for slightly over 4mill a year and was one of those signings to help get them over the bubble

Ravens- draft

Rams- draft

Do I need to continue?

No you don't need to continue because your arguement is xxxxing bad.

First team i decided to look up and see what they did to build before their superbowl run was the Ravens so let's look what they did the 3 years from 97-2000 and see if anything affected them.

Tony Siragusa, DT

April 24, 1997; From Indianapolis Colts

After seven years of relative obscurity, “Goose” became the face of the brick wall at the front of the Ravens' Super Bowl defense. It wasn't just his girth that made this such a big signing. This jokester added to the Ravens' cockiness and nastiness at the same time.

Michael McCrary, DE

April 7, 1997; From Seattle Seahawks

McCrary had a breakout season in Seattle in 1996 and the Ravens scooped him up the following year. He was a relentless sack-machine and was the chief quarterback-tormenter on the Super Bowl defense. After six years and 51 sacks in Baltimore, McCrary was inducted into the Ravens' Ring of Honor.

Trent Dilfer, QB

March 13, 2000; From Tampa Bay Buccaneers This one definitely didn't seem that big at the time and lasted just one year, but how can you not count the Super-Bowl winning signal-caller? Dilfer was brought in to be Tony Banks' backup, but took over the starting gig in Week 8. You know the rest.

Sam Adams, DT

April 17, 2000; From Seattle Seahawks

Adams joined Siragusa to form the Ravens' run-stuffing duo in 2000. His tenure lasted just two years, but the greatest defense of all time wouldn't have been the same without Adams' gargantuan presence in the middle. He also went to a Pro Bowl while in Baltimore.

Rod Woodson, FS

Feb. 20, 1998; From San Francisco 49ers

The young Ravens defensive backfield got its leader when Woodson arrived in 1998. Woodson not only unified the group, but also contributed 20 interceptions in his four seasons. Just last year, he entered the Hall of Fame with some of his best seasons coming in purple and black.

Shannon Sharpe, TE

Jan. 18, 2000; From Denver Broncos

Sharpe was perhaps the most integral piece added to the Ravens' Super Bowl roster. He carried the Ravens' passing game to Tampa in 2000 and was a father-figure for Ray Lewis. In 2001, he helped mentor his replacement, Todd Heap. The leadership and personality Sharpe brought to the Ravens in two seasons can't be measured.

Don't make me go do more homework on the rest of the teams who added through free agency who won the superbowl i would hate to list thier moves and make more Cleveland fans feel shitty for being so Retarded.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many people are missing the point. As a franchise you must have a base of talent you have built in order to sign these top tier free agents! What does Cleveland have to offer to these free agents?

A qb who is a question mark...

A running back with one good season under his belt...

All unproven wideouts...

A young defensive secondary that has shown some flashes of talent...

A front office that hasn't been in place for two years yet...

A brand new first time unproven head coach...

Yes Baltimore signed all these free agents, but they did so after drafting players like ray Lewis, Ed reed, etc...

I'm all for signing great players, as long as people understand we need to build a franchise, not a one and done team!

Your looking at those moves in hindsight. I'll give you Woodson and Shannon for sure, but those were final veteran pieces added to take the team over the top. Siragusa as well.

To put dilfer on that list is a joke. Putting a motorized throwing machine on a merry-go-round would have been as effective of a passer, hence his release after he "leads" his team to the superbowl.

Sam Adams first pro bowl was after he joined the ravens, so to call him a big name free agent is a joke.

Mccrary, while having a breakout year in Seattle couldn't sign elsewhere while a free agent for the life of him until Baltimore took a chance on him.

This all brings me back to the point I've been getting across, and other educated football fans are agreeing with me on. When your team is severely lacking in talent you aquire it by drafting smart and with accuracy. Making sure you don't miss on first and second rounders. Once you have acquired enough talent via draft, and your team looks like it is above average- on the verge of having something damn good, you can sign big name free agents that can bring your team to the superbowl.

Our browns are projected as another middle of the pack team. One more draft and we will have the talent to compete in this division.

P.s. Love how you picked the champions from over a decade ago because none of the teams since would even come close to supporting your comments other than the few examples I already illustrated bahahaha

I'd hate to be friends with many of you in real life. Nothing but whiny bitches.

Go root for the Bills.

I feel the same way about many Colts fans. And as Colts fans, they probably have a lot less to bitch about than Browns fans. I think it must be that most people in general are whiny bitches. I see it in almost every forum I go into. It's really sad.

Your looking at those moves in hindsight. I'll give you Woodson and Shannon for sure, but those were final veteran pieces added to take the team over the top. Siragusa as well.

To put dilfer on that list is a joke. Putting a motorized throwing machine on a merry-go-round would have been as effective of a passer, hence his release after he "leads" his team to the superbowl.

Sam Adams first pro bowl was after he joined the ravens, so to call him a big name free agent is a joke.

Mccrary, while having a breakout year in Seattle couldn't sign elsewhere while a free agent for the life of him until Baltimore took a chance on him.

This all brings me back to the point I've been getting across, and other educated football fans are agreeing with me on. When your team is severely lacking in talent you aquire it by drafting smart and with accuracy. Making sure you don't miss on first and second rounders. Once you have acquired enough talent via draft, and your team looks like it is above average- on the verge of having something damn good, you can sign big name free agents that can bring your team to the superbowl.

Our browns are projected as another middle of the pack team. One more draft and we will have the talent to compete in this division.

P.s. Love how you picked the champions from over a decade ago because none of the teams since would even come close to supporting your comments other than the few examples I already illustrated bahahaha

The other thing he's conveniently ignoring is the very top FAs- the difference makes as he calls them- have 4 (or in the case of Asomugah 8 years) of experience. 90+% of the time they want to go to a team where they can win and win NOW.

There was no way in hell Nnamdi was coming to the Browns, and the Texans overpaid for Joseph.

Guys like Mucho Stinko and Haynesworth will be cashing retirement checks by the time the Browns are ready to contend.

most of you anti FA guys are making it seem like we on the other side want us to just jump up and throw money at the first big name that comes across the table. no where did i say that.

having a base squad of players is not a prerequisite to signing a player who plays in a position that was not addressed in the draft. 80% of us on this very forum said the most needed position to address in this very short window of opportunity (FA this year) was DE, CB and RT. correct?

so we traded for a DT, an OL who's barely seen the field, a backup RB (at best) and a safety whose fans of his former team say is terrible.

so is it a crime or being whiny to suggest we could have at least made offers to the DE we all coveted or a CB who was cut and is from the area?

talk about bitching. who's worse, the whiners or the bitches?

"bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks" ....snoop dogg.

Win us another game or two? bro if you think we're a 500 team 2 games put's us at a 10-6 team and HELL YA that's xxxxing good enough right now, get 3 guys who can win you another 3 games or more a year those things add up ya know.

I am also starting to hate people arguing FA signings from washington last i looked all those FA go there and then get benched by the coaching staff and treated like shit before they get a chance to do what they were paid to do.

RE: Washington- so you calling Shanahan- he of several Super Bowl rings a doofus?

I don't have a crystal ball this year- but if you're happy with 10-6 and a one and done in the playoffs, God bless ya. That ain't good enough to build a consistent winner.

most of you anti FA guys are making it seem like we on the other side want us to just jump up and throw money at the first big name that comes across the table. no where did i say that.

having a base squad of players is not a prerequisite to signing a player who plays in a position that was not addressed in the draft. 80% of us on this very forum said the most needed position to address in this very short window of opportunity (FA this year) was DE, CB and RT. correct?

so we traded for a DT, an OL who's barely seen the field, a backup RB (at best) and a safety whose fans of his former team say is terrible.

so is it a crime or being whiny to suggest we could have at least made offers to the DE we all coveted or a CB who was cut and is from the area?

And I'm saying Shurmur and Heckert probably watched an hour or two of film on Clemens. Have you? Then they decided he wasn't worth it. We'll get to see opening day if they were right, as Clemens signed with the Bengals. The best DE went elsewhere, ditto the best two FA corners.

your right, those were our most glaring needs. Possibly they think pashos can return healthy and make an impact, so I'll give a skeptical pass to the FO on that one. DE is definitely an area of concern, and I was baffled to hear they didn't make ray Edwards an offer, especially after he was talking the browns up right around when the lockout ended.

Thy being said, who would you have brought in that would actually have signed here? For cb's I think Clements comments about not giving Cleveland a hometown discount was a clear enough statement to show he wasn't coming here, and Joseph obviously signed with the texans because he thinks they can win now.

As for defensive ends there wasn't really a guy that fit the Heckert mold of undersized super athletic defensive ends to play the weak side, and I'd say we're already decently enough set on the strong side. I think we still have a linebacker and DB coming, and now maybe a wr depending on how these injuries shape up

No you don't need to continue because your arguement is xxxxing bad.

First team i decided to look up and see what they did to build before their superbowl run was the Ravens so let's look what they did the 3 years from 97-2000 and see if anything affected them.

Tony Siragusa, DT

April 24, 1997; From Indianapolis Colts

After seven years of relative obscurity, “Goose” became the face of the brick wall at the front of the Ravens' Super Bowl defense. It wasn't just his girth that made this such a big signing. This jokester added to the Ravens' cockiness and nastiness at the same time.

Michael McCrary, DE

April 7, 1997; From Seattle Seahawks

McCrary had a breakout season in Seattle in 1996 and the Ravens scooped him up the following year. He was a relentless sack-machine and was the chief quarterback-tormenter on the Super Bowl defense. After six years and 51 sacks in Baltimore, McCrary was inducted into the Ravens' Ring of Honor.

Trent Dilfer, QB

March 13, 2000; From Tampa Bay Buccaneers This one definitely didn't seem that big at the time and lasted just one year, but how can you not count the Super-Bowl winning signal-caller? Dilfer was brought in to be Tony Banks' backup, but took over the starting gig in Week 8. You know the rest.

Sam Adams, DT

April 17, 2000; From Seattle Seahawks

Adams joined Siragusa to form the Ravens' run-stuffing duo in 2000. His tenure lasted just two years, but the greatest defense of all time wouldn't have been the same without Adams' gargantuan presence in the middle. He also went to a Pro Bowl while in Baltimore.

Rod Woodson, FS

Feb. 20, 1998; From San Francisco 49ers

The young Ravens defensive backfield got its leader when Woodson arrived in 1998. Woodson not only unified the group, but also contributed 20 interceptions in his four seasons. Just last year, he entered the Hall of Fame with some of his best seasons coming in purple and black.

Shannon Sharpe, TE

Jan. 18, 2000; From Denver Broncos

Sharpe was perhaps the most integral piece added to the Ravens' Super Bowl roster. He carried the Ravens' passing game to Tampa in 2000 and was a father-figure for Ray Lewis. In 2001, he helped mentor his replacement, Todd Heap. The leadership and personality Sharpe brought to the Ravens in two seasons can't be measured.

Don't make me go do more homework on the rest of the teams who added through free agency who won the superbowl i would hate to list thier moves and make more Cleveland fans feel shitty for being so Retarde

Jamal Lewis...Ray Lewis....John Ogden....Ed Reed...are all drafted hall of famers. Dilfer and Goose? Really? Most of the guys you mentioned were on the downside of their careers. That would be pointless to us since we would finally have a solid core when their ready to retire. We would have to replace them more than likely when your ready to make a run anyways.

Personally IMHO it makes more sense to spend the money on the studs we have and make sure they never hit the market while bringing in young talent around them. Quality fas hit market every year....wait til you know your ready for a run before you pull a Philly. Philly's time is now. Ours isn't.

Really i could pick you apart like a hotwing kid before i do you need to go look at every team you listed and look at the free agency signings pre superbowl so you can be better prepared for this arguement because i will break down every single team you listed and make my point, to the point of embarassing all you FA haters.

You also dogged Dilfer for winning a superbowl heres a news flash they didn't win another one after he left, they had a piece that worked perfect for their system and because the fans perception of him being bad he got the boot except he did every single thing he needed to do to get his team into a posistion not to win but NOT TO LOSE EVERY GAME.

I want you to make me look dumb. Show me the free agent pick ups. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that wants to see it. Except for brees and vilma in new Orleans, every core from every team listed was built through draft. If you claim otherwise prove it. You already flopped on you breakdown on the ravens. Remember I'm not looking for players that they signed that turned into quality players after they arrived, im talking about big name free agents that were given lucrative contacts. Now let's see it or please sit down and learn how to build a successful franchise

And for dilfer, he is and will always be known as the worst quarterback to win a superbowl. They won despite their poor qb play, not because of his talent or lack of

Uhh reggie white, deion sanders, bart scott to name a few...

For relevancy purposes let's keep it in the last 10 or so years.

And please don't get me started on Deion.... His 2 superbowls were because of the great teams around him. Not taking anything away from his talents, but he wasn't the reason they won the big one

He was an addition to fill an area of need. As a matter of fact that 95 cboys team is a perfect example of a shite team turning things around in a hurry through the draft.

They won their championships because of Troy, emmit, and mike, not deion

The Browns aren't going to target the high dollar guys like Asomugha, and they shouldn't since we aren't ready to contend for a super bowl. Once the big names are off the board there will be some bargains out there which can help the team. Yes, you build though the draft, but good pieces can be added though free agency. Eric Steinbach is a guy we picked up via free agency about four years ago, I'd say that was a good addition. As long as we are smart, no big dollar "name" guys at the back end of their careers, this team can add players via free agency that can contribute now and for the next several years. Think younger guys, like 25-26 coming off their rookie contracts heading into their prime football years. Usama Young isn't a big name but he fits that profile. Young, servicable player with some potential upside, good special teams player.

Uhh reggie white, deion sanders, bart scott to name a few...

White is the only one I'll grant you. Sanders went to an already loaded Cowboys team that had uh, for starters, Aikman, Larry Allen, Russell Maryland, Jay Novacecek, and Emmitt Smith. they just as easily could have won the SB without Dion.

And ditto Bart Scott- went to a Ravens D that already had Ray Lewis and was equally loaded.

Really i could pick you apart like a hotwing kid before i do you need to go look at every team you listed and look at the free agency signings pre superbowl so you can be better prepared for this arguement because i will break down every single team you listed and make my point, to the point of embarassing all you FA haters.

You also dogged Dilfer for winning a superbowl heres a news flash they didn't win another one after he left, they had a piece that worked perfect for their system and because the fans perception of him being bad he got the boot except he did every single thing he needed to do to get his team into a posistion not to win but NOT TO LOSE EVERY GAME.

See, now, I agree with you on the Ravens and Dilfer. He was an important cog for them in their SB run. Yes, it was their defense that won it for them, but Dilfer fit their system and "managed" that offense to a level that the persons that ran it before him could not. He was essentially the prototype for the likes of Brad Johnson in Tampa and BR in Pittsburgh.

Great job Heckert, it sounds like Bunkley doesn't want to come to the Browns. Reports are saying they don't know if he will ever show up. Even if he doesn't we still have to give the Eagles our 5th round pick.

That's not entirely true. His rights may still be held by Philly pending his passing of a physical. Normally, that's how it goes on contracts. Since Bunkley hasn't shown up in Cleveland, it's safe to say he hasn't taken a physical, much less passed one.

Jason is right - but how bogus is it that you could trade for a player, and he refuses to show up? And you STILL have to give up your pick?

I'd say, let's trade Taylor to about 10 teams around the league for a first round pick, and have him never show up, and we still keep him, and

get ten extra first round picks.

something can't be correct with this.... (I wouldn't have traded for Bunkley)

Brodrick Bunkley has yet to report to Browns training camp and "no one knows if he ever will."

Bunkley was shipped from Philly to Cleveland on Saturday, a move he couldn't have been pleased with. The Browns remain on the hook for the 2012 fifth-rounder they sent to the Eagles even if Bunkley doesn't show because NFL trades are made "at your own risk." The Browns clearly didn't do enough digging into the player. Related: Eagles

Brodrick Bunkley has yet to report to Browns training camp and "no one knows if he ever will."

Bunkley was shipped from Philly to Cleveland on Saturday, a move he couldn't have been pleased with. The Browns remain on the hook for the 2012 fifth-rounder they sent to the Eagles even if Bunkley doesn't show because NFL trades are made "at your own risk." The Browns clearly didn't do enough digging into the player. Related: Eagles

Wow this is really troubling i dont even know what to say honestly.

You just can't fix stupid

so let's see the list of forum members NOT allowed to complain at any point this year goes like this:

1. CLEVELandMILIDH

2. Tim Couch Pulls Out

3. chrisP_chicken

4. 1 more season

5. D bone

6. blowe

anyone i forget??

BTW, have any of you ever been to the POLITICAL DISCUSSION forums on this board? anyone go on there and tell them they are dumb or stupid or a whiny bitch for expressing their views? YEAH, DIDN'T THINK SO. don't like the guy's views, skip it, read on. this is a forum of browns fans who might not agree with way things are being done or have been done past, present, future BUT we all want the same thing (except Rich maybe)and that's for the browns to win. when i'm wrong i'll admit it. i've got no problem doing that. but whose to say anyone is wrong at this point? wrrebel might right in every word he types (except for the homophobe stuff and want to punch someone in the face stuff) but he's got the right to complain just like you guys on the list above have. don't bash him for it.

so let's see the list of forum members NOT allowed to complain at any point this year goes like this:

1. CLEVELandMILIDH

2. Tim Couch Pulls Out

3. chrisP_chicken

4. 1 more season

5. D bone

6. blowe

anyone i forget??

BTW, have any of you ever been to the POLITICAL DISCUSSION forums on this board? anyone go on there and tell them they are dumb or stupid or a whiny bitch for expressing their views? YEAH, DIDN'T THINK SO. don't like the guy's views, skip it, read on. this is a forum of browns fans who might not agree with way things are being done or have been done past, present, future BUT we all want the same thing (except Rich maybe)and that's for the browns to win. when i'm wrong i'll admit it. i've got no problem doing that. but whose to say anyone is wrong at this point? wrrebel might right in every word he types (except for the homophobe stuff and want to punch someone in the face stuff) but he's got the right to complain just like you guys on the list above have. don't bash him for it.

this is america dammit!!

I'll call anyone a whiny bitch when they sound like a whiny bitch. I don't care what the topic is.

I'll call anyone a whiny bitch when they sound like a whiny bitch. I don't care what the topic is.

I am over on 48th and clark or 73rd and union most days of the week if you ever wanna stop by and talk about who a bitch is, unlike tim couch i never pull out.

Yeah it ussually takes me to week 6 or 7 to say fu#k football

Heckert is a douche... I hate his fat face and beaty little eyes

I wonder how the jew heckert feels about shurmer the nazi??

We should run blitzkrieg this year

What opinion? This is all I've heard, name calling and complaining about every move made. Where's the football talk?

Have you took time to make yourself knowledgeable about anybody we signed? Based on your responses it wouldn't appear so.

Archived