THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Trade For Offensive Lineman

WJ Brownfan

Rams ship John Greco to Browns

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2011, 10:36 PM EDT

St. Louis Rams v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

Offensive lineman John Greco has been traded from the Rams to the Browns, according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

A three-year veteran with four starts and 26 regular-season appearances, Greco will be reunited with former Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, now the head coach of the Browns.

Greco, who played college football at Toledo, was a third-round pick in the 2008 draft. The full terms of the deal are not yet known.

The Browns need OLine depth and now they have some good experience

Wow, this is different. The last few years I had to put up with knuckleheads posting about playoffs because we signed a "big name" FA. Now, this year, I have to put up with knuckleheads running around screaming that the sky is falling because we haven't signed an overpriced veteran............Only in Cleveland.

Wow, this is different. The last few years I had to put up with knuckleheads posting about playoffs because we signed a "big name" FA. Now, this year, I have to put up with knuckleheads running around screaming that the sky is falling because we haven't signed an overpriced veteran............Only in Cleveland.

It's really getting to be tiresome. I'm actually ashamed to be associated with them.

This

Hey guys lets not judge this kid before any of us see him. We could be getting exactly what we need right now but you would never know so why judge. For all we know he could have been in the doghouse of the Rams HC so he never got PT much like Hillis in Denver...Shurmer obviously knows him well as he coached him and gave him his endorsement I am sure. So if you guys believe in Shurmer it would be kind of hypocritical to hate this move. Plus we probably have up a really crappy pick. We don;t need to make sexy moves and get HUGE names to make a splash and improve this team.

Look how the one player we got last year in a trade worked out. Don't be close minded about this deal.

This board is getting hard to handle sometimes with all the negative posts because we aren't making huge splashes in FA. Don't get me wrong I would have loved to sign a stud ... but at the same time you have to realize a lot of better players want to play for good teams which we are obviously not. Which is why you build throw the draft first. Let the youth lay the foundation and the vets will come.

If you build it ... they will come.

This was an excellent move for depth in our rotation, we only give up a 7th if and only if greco becomes a starter..

Good job here by heckert!

I dunno why so many so called fans believe big named FAs can make a team that is restructuring better, most of these divas got where they are because of their supporting cast not necessarily from their elite skills alone..

Throw most these FA guys (most of whom would not come to cleveland for any amount of money) into the mix and watch the woe is me locker room cancer begin to fester..

The only thing i have against H&H thusfar is thwe fact they wasted a year by keeping mangini around and i myself was for giving the guy a fair shot...

We just have to be patient now and see what heckert and shurmur bring to the team...

As browns fans patience is a word we rightfully dont like but wasted time building FA teams because of poor drafts by bad GMs or the feeling that we have to win now has never got us anywhere...

I believe most fans will like what we see by or around mid-season but i would not be surprised to see certain improvements right off the bat..

I agree, it's a good move. No problem here, but I do want to say the pick happens if he starts....as in a game.

That isn't quite the same as being a starter.

Just trying to clarify.

This was an excellent move for depth in our rotation, we only give up a 7th if and only if greco becomes a starter..

Good job here by heckert!

I dunno why so many so called fans believe big named FAs can make a team that is restructuring better, most of these divas got where they are because of their supporting cast not necessarily from their elite skills alone..

Throw most these FA guys (most of whom would not come to cleveland for any amount of money) into the mix and watch the woe is me locker room cancer begin to fester..

The only thing i have against H&H thusfar is thwe fact they wasted a year by keeping mangini around and i myself was for giving the guy a fair shot...

We just have to be patient now and see what heckert and shurmur bring to the team...

As browns fans patience is a word we rightfully dont like but wasted time building FA teams because of poor drafts by bad GMs or the feeling that we have to win now has never got us anywhere...

I believe most fans will like what we see by or around mid-season but i would not be surprised to see certain improvements right off the bat..

Well said. We DO need to be patient. Most of the high $ FA signings have been to get an already solid team "over the hump" to the Super Bowl. They are neither looking for long term solutions nor character. They are looking for that last puzzle piece for the short term...The Browns are not yet at that point.

I like the direction in which the Browns are moving.

Mike

Floyd Womack signed with another team,so it becomes likely

Lavao becomes the replacement.

100% sure on that?

The way I read it, it said if he starts.

In the world of legalese, starts means start's, as in a game, so yes, I am pretty sure.

I agree, it's a good move. No problem here, but I do want to say the pick happens if he starts....as in a game.

That isn't quite the same as being a starter.

Just trying to clarify.

So you just put someone in there on the first offensive play for him and then let him play the rest of the game, officially making him not a starter.

So you just put someone in there on the first offensive play for him and then let him play the rest of the game, officially making him not a starter.

Somehow I think the league office might take a look at that and award the pick.

Not to mention the ethics involved might make it hard for us to have any serious trade discussion with any team in the future.

I know you were just kidding.

fwiw.

He won't play RT....

Browns acquired OG John Greco from the Rams in exchange for a conditional 2012 seventh-round pick.

The 65th overall pick in 2008, Greco had support among the Rams' scouting staff but his inability to consistently pass protect was his undoing. St. Louis valued keeping Sam Bradford upright over all else. Greco is familiar with new head coach Pat Shurmur, and the Browns may be gearing up to release overrated LG Eric Steinbach. Either way, Greco should make the 53-man roster.

Floyd Womack signed with another team,so it becomes likely

Lavao becomes the replacement.

Are you claiming this is just a revolving door move? Pork Chop goes out, Greco-Roman comes in? No real advantage? No improvement in talent level really? Is that a possibility?

Archived