THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Read On Free Agency Situation

jrb12711

This is an awesome article on our situation regarding everything. I was just about to write a whole thing up about this very thing but he pretty much mirrors my thoughts exactly. For all you getting angry about not signing people, please take 5 minutes out of your day to read it. I hope this isn't posted in a thread already, I didn't really go around looking for it

http://cle.scout.com/2/1090762.html#disqus_thread

yes makes perfect sense. people think i'm one of those naysayers and i'm really not. i agree with his moves to date. we didn't pay a lot or give up a lot for these FAs we've just brought in. BUT what about CB depth?

on the topic of building a young team through the draft: what happens if these draft picks don't pan out? does that mean we are, yet again, another year behind and are playing this year to rebuild again next year?

the whole game is a crap shoot until you have a solid core of a team to build upon. so i guess in another two years we MIGHT have that if all the planets are aligned and these miracle draft picks play above their heads and then we can sign some high priced FAs to come in and................OH WAIT!!!!! then it'll be time to resign our own top rated FAs (you know these heckert draft picks who are now all-pro starters.....they now want to get PAID) so we'll have no money to spend on those FAs to take us to the next level or over the top!!!!

and the wheel keeps turning.

Let me start off by saying that i think H&H are the best options we've had since we've returned in '99..With that being said i only question if you dont bring in young F/A's and were planning for 2013 what happens if TJ,Haden,Hillis or JT are Foundations decide hell ive been here for 3 or 4 years and we've never done anything and move on???

Thats were i see the problem we may be bringing in young players but whos to say the guys we do have stick around?

Also if you dont believe teams cant turn it around in this day and age i would disagree, i think the Rams proved that last year as well as the Chiefs who made the playoffs..

Are sucess may just well be in McCoy and say he does turn out to be the Real McCoy and we dont have anything around him to help him take that next step,he may just as well go backwards in progressing.Talented QB's ecspically young ones need help developing and that comes from strength in other postions.I dont see are WR's being that and would hate for Colt to take most of the backlash.

Also if you dont believe teams cant turn it around in this day and age i would disagree, i think the Rams proved that last year as well as the Chiefs who made the playoffs..

Rams we're 4-12 the year before they won the superbowl they picked up Kurt Warner i think from the CFl, Traded for Marshall Faulk, and drafted Tori Holt that year if i remember right, so i always believe teams can turn it around in ONE yep i said it ONE year and not this magic number three we decided on here in Cleveland.

Nice article as it hits the nail on the head, for many browns fans we want a return to competitive play but we tend to want it now sometimes not realizing how mismanaged this clubs oversight and direction has been over the years,we cant have it until somebody builds it from right from scratch, and that is what H&H are trying to do..

We need to be a little lucky and a whole lot patient for now...

for many browns fans we want a return to competitive play but we tend to want it now sometimes not realizing how mismanaged this clubs oversight and direction has been over the years,we cant have it until somebody builds it from right from scratch, and that is what H&H are trying to do..

We need to be a little lucky and a whole lot patient for now...

you mean like all the fans that said "F that!" not another 5-11 season! fire mangini and the whole lot of them"?

so in 2 years if this doesn't work out (pleeeeez let it work out!) are all those people going to be the same ones that say "fire the whole lot of 'em!" or are they now (because holmgren is their boy) going to say "give it some more time"?

just asking. but it's pretty funny how things are one way at a certain time for some people but not the same way for the same people when it affects them differently because of the people involved.

i'm all for continuity. god pity the fool that screamed "fire mangini" and next year screams "fire shurmer". now that would be totally stooopid. when does the carousel finally stop? when are people allowed to make a mistake here and there without being fired? geeez.

My favorite quotes from the article:

"The Browns – who in case you haven’t noticed are clearly rebuilding – should let their salary cap grow parallel to the overall improvement of the team."

"In most respects, the 2011 season will be one long evaluation for the principles of the Browns’ hopeful resurgence"

Yes, I hate the fact that this year will be used as evaluation, but it could definetly work out in our favor. We are giving our recent draft picks (McCoy, Little, Hardesty, Sheard, etc...) a great opportunity to get playing time and giving a whole bunch of young guys a chance to compete for roster spots. If we can find a solid foundation and win some games with these guys, then we can spend the next couple offseasons adding the big-name guys that might get us where we all want to be.

So, for now... enjoy watching these young guys play, they're not exactly the worst bunch of players that we've seen here.

My favorite quotes from the article:

"The Browns – who in case you haven’t noticed are clearly rebuilding – should let their salary cap grow parallel to the overall improvement of the team."

"In most respects, the 2011 season will be one long evaluation for the principles of the Browns’ hopeful resurgence"

Yes, I hate the fact that this year will be used as evaluation, but it could definetly work out in our favor. We are giving our recent draft picks (McCoy, Little, Hardesty, Sheard, etc...) a great opportunity to get playing time and giving a whole bunch of young guys a chance to compete for roster spots. If we can find a solid foundation and win some games with these guys, then we can spend the next couple offseasons adding the big-name guys that might get us where we all want to be.

So, for now... enjoy watching these young guys play, they're not exactly the worst bunch of players that we've seen here.

i agree. i like the drafts of the last couple of seasons. i want to see the good players of last year become better.

but what happened to our 'win now' fan base? it's amazing how they're as quiet as church mice now.

and (not trying to be an ass here) what will make next year any different with FA if this year is an evaluation year with quite possibly the same record at 5-11? what will change the mindset of these free agents next year, that they will all-of-a-sudden want to play for cleveland?

but what happened to our 'win now' fan base? it's amazing how they're as quiet as church mice now.

and (not trying to be an ass here) what will make next year any different with FA if this year is an evaluation year with quite possibly the same record at 5-11? what will change the mindset of these free agents next year, that they will all-of-a-sudden want to play for cleveland?[/b]

Colt McCoy... that's what it comes down to. If he plays well and shows that he can lead the way for this team, then they will win more than 5 games this yr and will prove to the league that they are on the right track. If he does not/cannot play well, we're in trouble.

you mean like all the fans that said "F that!" not another 5-11 season! fire mangini and the whole lot of them"?

so in 2 years if this doesn't work out (pleeeeez let it work out!) are all those people going to be the same ones that say "fire the whole lot of 'em!" or are they now (because holmgren is their boy) going to say "give it some more time"?

just asking. but it's pretty funny how things are one way at a certain time for some people but not the same way for the same people when it affects them differently because of the people involved.

i'm all for continuity. god pity the fool that screamed "fire mangini" and next year screams "fire shurmer". now that would be totally stooopid. when does the carousel finally stop? when are people allowed to make a mistake here and there without being fired? geeez.

+1

I agree totally.

Let's get some continuity in Cleveland. It's about time. If it's not one thing it's another. It seems like some people are never happy, no matter what's done. The Quinn/Anderson debate turned into the Seneca/Delhomme/Colt debate. Colt has won that out, but the moment he throws a pick I'm sure the same people will be calling for us to tank the season and get Luck. The Harrison homers are no doubt pissed that we traded him away, no matter what Gocong does it will be a bad deal in their eyes. The Mangini haters got what they wanted, now people are turning into Holmgren/Heckert haters simply because we didn't spend 120 million on Edwards/Asomugha/Plaxico/Braylon/Joseph/whothexxxxever.

ITS BEEN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS.

Jesus, give the guys some time. They know more than you do, whether you want to believe it or not. If you had any idea how to be running a team successfully, you'd be doing it. But you don't. I don't. None of us have experience in running an NFL team. So let the guys who do have experience do their jobs, and stop being such whiny bitches about it.

Yes teams can turn it around in just one year but the big difference when comparing them to the Browns is that in order for us to turn it around is that we must first go through Pittsburgh & Baltimore...

Once you get into the playoffs it becomes a crap shoot... The team thats peaking, the team that gets hot is the team that advances to the big dance...

We play in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL so our task is a bit harder since we've been mismanaged and drafted poorly for the last decade....

A great draft last year with some great trades included... If we repeat the process this year then we'll be in a position to spend big bucks on free agents that might be the missing pieces to the puzzle....

Don't wanna be a one year wonder but rather a team that competes every year...

I think we're finally pointed in the right direction...

Peace

T.Dawg

the Browns simply aren’t in the position to throwing money at free agents. While many signs of life were birthed last season, the utter reality is that the Browns are nowhere close to being a playoff contender.

Because we have a bunch of project players and a project head coach with a project general manager. And it will be a project to make the playoffs with the current talent on this team. Maybe that is why you enter into the free agaent market, so you dont have to many projects to complete to make this thing work.

Archived