THE BROWNS BOARD

What Do You Think Of The Browns Strategy?

Thomaspro

It's not hidden how i feel about it.

The only way this works right now is the cap space has to be spent by 2013 the browns need to get this new system in place, we're a mid level team so i expect over the next two draft our picks are 5-15 and any moves we made to aquire new picks so if we're grabbing a core over 2 years + what we have in 2013 we need to sign our Key FA and spend the rest to bring in 2-3 Studs that seriously round us out.

Worst case scenerio we have a 10-6 non playoff year again.

Building through the draft is a solid way to construct a winning NFL team. If your team isn't good a drafting players, they probably aren't going to be good at choosing free agents. I'm sure Redskins fans are excited year after year at the collection of FAs Daniel Snyder brings in, but that hasn't exactly worked out for them has it? Free agents work best when you have an area or two of need and you can bring a proven player into fill that position of need.

Building through the draft is a solid way to construct a winning NFL team. If your team isn't good a drafting players, they probably aren't going to be good at choosing free agents. I'm sure Redskins fans are excited year after year at the collection of FAs Daniel Snyder brings in, but that hasn't exactly worked out for them has it? Free agents work best when you have an area or two of need and you can bring a proven player into fill that position of need.

Hasn't really worked for the Raiders either.

I'll agree the primary reason the Browns have stunk for over 10 years is lousy drafting. They've whiffed on picking up more than a couple of guys who are going to land in the HOF, most notably LaDanian Tomlinson.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude (need more than one year to evaluate) about Heckert's drafting, but the 2010 class was outstanding. Hayden and Ward are starters, and if McCoy turns into an above average qb, that draft gets an A+.

I've made my position clear- you build through the draft and then if you feel you're close, go for the top FA. BTW, Atlanta thinks they're one player away, and IMHO they gave up way too much to get Julio Jones. Time will tell.

Time will tell? Are you nuts? Atlanta gave away shit. They gave away commodity.

Jones is a player far above teh caliber of any 5 Browns players.

Guys who touch the football win games. Atlanta will be very tough to stop with this kid.

GREAT trade.

YOu give Hackett and A+? Dude, any average player could start in Cleveland. This guy didn't draft any world beaters.

Seriously if you act like this what is the point of being on a Browns forum? Why don't you go to a Steelers forum so you can all jack each other off by how much you think the Browns suck.

Building through the draft is a solid strategy and not having large multi year contracts with parentage money given to FA's give the front office the ability to RESIGN and RESTRUCTURE CONTRACTS of people that they draft so that they stay after the 4 year restricted period. If you toss garenteed money at FA's (which you always have to do for the top guys) you severely risk tying up that money when you want to keep a young guy you are trying to build your team around.

Seriously if you act like this what is the point of being on a Browns forum? Why don't you go to a Steelers forum so you can all jack each other off by how much you think the Browns suck.

Building through the draft is a solid strategy and not having large multi year contracts with parentage money given to FA's give the front office the ability to RESIGN and RESTRUCTURE CONTRACTS of people that they draft so that they stay after the 4 year restricted period. If you toss garenteed money at FA's (which you always have to do for the top guys) you severely risk tying up that money when you want to keep a young guy you are trying to build your team around.

Oh, Ghoolie's just being Ghoolie. Yup, we can use some of that money next year to keep Joe Thomas a Brown for the rest of his career, and bring in the top FAs NEXT YEAR when they'll actually make a difference in the standings. If Hardesty hadn't gotten hurt, the 2010 draft would already be considered the best since '99.

You build through the draft, not free agency. The most successful teams in the league do the same. I can't wait for the Eagles and the Jets to implode and finally you may see a return on investment with the Browns. Going hard in free agency is not the way to go. Soooo what you may have another losing season but you aren't mortgaging large portions of the salary cap on a few transplant players. Draft, build and pay your own, the ones worth paying at least.

Lets bring in some more Eagles retreads..seems to be the beginning of a pattern. I guess I'm missing something here but how much are the Browns under the cap?

It has to be a ton of money..best I can tell around 30 mil..I think 2013 is when having to spend up to the cap takes under the new CBA..watching those pennies I guess.

Is there no middle ground on this board? :P

I'm not happy with (overall) how the Browns havr been run. I think that H&H are on the right track. For the guy who mentions weapons...they did bring in Hillis last year. I would have liked to see a WR added...but that's out of my hands. If you don't have a line...you can't protect the QB or open holes for the RB... So it doesn't matter who the WR is. Jones struggles to consistently catch the ball. Didn't we have one of those ultra-talented WR's on this roster? Didn't the Jets just let him go?

Just some random thoughts.

A strong draft in 2012 coupled with the 90% rule of cap being used in 2013 will spark the signing of 2 or 3 key FA that will get us over the hump and have us competing for a championship in 2013 and beyond for probably close to 10 years barring injury. But of course we seem to be cursed when it come to injury.

First off let me say i was happily surprised that H&H actually said what they meant and meant what they said about their FA stance...

For those that do not like and or do not understand the conservative FA approach of H&H it will become much clearer over the next 2 years, As hoorta points out we will need to keep some key players intact and save room for guys that haven't emerged yet but most certainly will...

The time will come when we may need to reach out for a couple bigger name FAs to close the deal on the AFCN and when we do they will actually see the opportunity to fit in our system and want to come play in cleveland..

H&H are setting us up for the best opportunity to seriously compete in our division that this club has had since its return and beyond, yeah its not flashy and this year it most likely isnt going to be pretty but it is a solid time proven method as long as your GM knows what he is doing and your coaches can coach, for once in many years i am not second guessing the regimes calls thus far minus the wasted year of the mangini debacle which i myself was for..

Waiting for the browns to rise to prominence once again is what i live for and i believe we have the regime in place to make it happen, we just need to be patient a while longer...

Nough said...This is bulls**t if your a Browns fan..waiting and waiting...absurd I say

11 teams still have $20 million or more in cap room

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2011, 8:02 AM EDT

Getty Images

One week into the 2011 spending spree under the new $120.4 million salary cap, 11 teams still have more than $20 million available for the coming season. A source with knowledge of the numbers has shared them with PFT.

Leading the way are the Bengals, with more than $41 million in cap room. The Jaguars have more than $34 million.

And the bronze goes, surprisingly, to the Browns, with more than $30.4 million.

I think it's the right strategy. Of course, I'd rather win right now, but we had too many holes to fill this off season (like many others recently). Build through the draft for sure.

One guy I'd like the Browns to take a chance on is Okoye, the guy the Texans released. I bet he would sign cheap, and has a lot to prove.

I think it's the right strategy. Of course, I'd rather win right now, but we had too many holes to fill this off season (like many others recently). Build through the draft for sure.

One guy I'd like the Browns to take a chance on is Okoye, the guy the Texans released. I bet he would sign cheap, and has a lot to prove.

And he's young. The youngest player to ever be drafted.

First off let me say i was happily surprised that H&H actually said what they meant and meant what they said about their FA stance...

For those that do not like and or do not understand the conservative FA approach of H&H it will become much clearer over the next 2 years, As hoorta points out we will need to keep some key players intact and save room for guys that haven't emerged yet but most certainly will...

The time will come when we may need to reach out for a couple bigger name FAs to close the deal on the AFCN and when we do they will actually see the opportunity to fit in our system and want to come play in cleveland..

H&H are setting us up for the best opportunity to seriously compete in our division that this club has had since its return and beyond, yeah its not flashy and this year it most likely isnt going to be pretty but it is a solid time proven method as long as your GM knows what he is doing and your coaches can coach, for once in many years i am not second guessing the regimes calls thus far minus the wasted year of the mangini debacle which i myself was for..

Waiting for the browns to rise to prominence once again is what i live for and i believe we have the regime in place to make it happen, we just need to be patient a while longer...

Gips,

I agree with this 100%!! It reads as if I wrote it (only better!). I share the same confidence you describe.

GO BROWNS!!

Mike

Since we came back we've drafted terribly and spent tons of money on free agents...

We drafted the wrong players and we signed the wrong free agents...

This is the 1st FO that has drafted well and I'm sure that when the time is right they will spend the money to get those players who'll put us over the top....

It's hard as hell to say be patient but truthfully this year is a year of evaluation... We don't know what we have yet and throwing around money wont make us better..

If this years draft class turns out great, we should be set to put a competative team on the field year after year.. I like this approach..

Also, some of the excess cap money that we have will be used to sign some of our key core players (Thomas, Hillis, etc) to long term deals..

Peace

T.Dawg

Archived