THE BROWNS BOARD

Capt5Ain America Review

Captain America

Marvel

PG 13 125 min

It's been a while since Captain America has graced the comic book hero A list but the name's certainly embedded in pulp lore. I'm not sure if Marvel has a “golden age” but this fellow was the first one of the vanguard when Siegel and Shuster's Superman began to draw imitators.

The Captain was born of an age of American patriotic fervor in 1941and was just one of many pop culture figures assisting the war effort to vanquish Shicklegruber and his axis allies.

Steve Rogers was the typical 98 pound weakling with an attitude. Though too small for military service the kid refused to back down to bullies and fiercely defended any perceived slight to his (or his country's) honor.

After repeated failed attempts to sign up for the war Rogers becomes a guinea pig of sorts for an experiment designed to turn ordinary men into super soldiers. (a hook that permeates Marvel Comics to this day)

Well it works and the newly created Captain America is fitted with a red white and blue outfit and sent out on the road to drum up war bond sales. When real fighting men scorn him as no more than a shill Rogers decides to upset the applecart and lead a rescue mission that earns him the respect of the men and his officers.

Unfortunately it also draws the attention of a really bad guy.

James Carville look alike Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) is a genetically altered renegade Nazi who heads a group called Hydra; even more despicable than Hitler's boys and that's a tough act to follow.

He's after some silly ancient artifact (not unlike the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) that will help him rue the world. Everybody wants to.

So there's your conflict.

It's not that CAPTAIN AMERICA is terrible but it's pretty generic and loaded with hooks and plot twists that we've seen many times before and more effectively. Though it's never boring it still lacks the drama or emotion needed to get the audience's collective hearts pounding.

It seems to me one more tweak of the script would have set up more in the way of spirit but that was one thing that was overlooked, like the awkward voice dub in the first fifteen minutes.

C+

WSS

• 1 month later...

We haven't had time to see any movies. I did rent one - about a bunch of political prisoners who escaped their prison in Siberia -

and who walked thousands of miles across Siberia, Mongolia - to India and freedom. Only three made. Based on a true story...

it wasn't entertaining, very sad and tragic... fast forwarded a lot on that one.

I would like rent Capt America I figure - thanks for the appraisals, Mr. Steve. I appreciate them !

Captain America

Marvel

PG 13 125 min

It's been a while since Captain America has graced the comic book hero A list but the name's certainly embedded in pulp lore. I'm not sure if Marvel has a “golden age” but this fellow was the first one of the vanguard when Siegel and Shuster's Superman began to draw imitators.

The Captain was born of an age of American patriotic fervor in 1941and was just one of many pop culture figures assisting the war effort to vanquish Shicklegruber and his axis allies.

Steve Rogers was the typical 98 pound weakling with an attitude. Though too small for military service the kid refused to back down to bullies and fiercely defended any perceived slight to his (or his country's) honor.

After repeated failed attempts to sign up for the war Rogers becomes a guinea pig of sorts for an experiment designed to turn ordinary men into super soldiers. (a hook that permeates Marvel Comics to this day)

Well it works and the newly created Captain America is fitted with a red white and blue outfit and sent out on the road to drum up war bond sales. When real fighting men scorn him as no more than a shill Rogers decides to upset the applecart and lead a rescue mission that earns him the respect of the men and his officers.

Unfortunately it also draws the attention of a really bad guy.

James Carville look alike Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) is a genetically altered renegade Nazi who heads a group called Hydra; even more despicable than Hitler's boys and that's a tough act to follow.

He's after some silly ancient artifact (not unlike the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) that will help him rue the world. Everybody wants to.

So there's your conflict.

It's not that CAPTAIN AMERICA is terrible but it's pretty generic and loaded with hooks and plot twists that we've seen many times before and more effectively. Though it's never boring it still lacks the drama or emotion needed to get the audience's collective hearts pounding.

It seems to me one more tweak of the script would have set up more in the way of spirit but that was one thing that was overlooked, like the awkward voice dub in the first fifteen minutes.

C+

WSS

I liked it better than you did Steve. I say B+

Archived