THE BROWNS BOARD

Buster

1 more season

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/08/post_84.html

Nice little story about Buster Skrine currently 2nd string LCB and slated to get some play returning kicks and punts tomorrow. Very fast! Josh's special teams play fell off a bit last year due to injury asnd such so I'm interested in seeing how this kid does. Most likely he will get some playing time on special teams this year 'cuz I'm sure cribbs will be injured sometime.

well from what i saw last night with the new kick off being at the 30 yard lines most kicks ended up squibbing through the end zone. so these return guys really only have to work on the punt returns for numbers this year.

well from what i saw last night with the new kick off being at the 30 yard lines most kicks ended up squibbing through the end zone. so these return guys really only have to work on the punt returns for numbers this year.

Yah, the kicks from the 30 suck. Kind of forgot about that rule change until last night.

To make teams think before they just kick it into or through the endzone they should have touckbacks come out to the 25 or even the 30 yard line to make it a little more fair. Most if not all NFL kickers can put it into or through the endzone with the new rule, this would make them have to decide if strategically if that is the best option. It would definitely make it a little more interesting, and create more opportunitys for returns. Ofcourse this probably won't happen because of the safety issues that made the league feel they had to change the rule in the first place.

To make teams think before they just kick it into or through the endzone they should have touckbacks come out to the 25 or even the 30 yard line to make it a little more fair. Most if not all NFL kickers can put it into or through the endzone with the new rule, this would make them have to decide if strategically if that is the best option. It would definitely make it a little more interesting, and create more opportunitys for returns. Ofcourse this probably won't happen because of the safety issues that made the league feel they had to change the rule in the first place.

They originally had considered that....taking the ball out to the 25, but then they rejected it and left it at the 20.

They originally had considered that....taking the ball out to the 25, but then they rejected it and left it at the 20.

The league says the change was made for safety reasons. I think it stinks. Special teams as everyone knows is 30% of the game so with kick returns become minimalism there taking away 5% of the game.

The league says the change was made for safety reasons. I think it stinks. Special teams as everyone knows is 30% of the game so with kick returns become minimalism there taking away 5% of the game.

I'm not sure what kind of football you watch where a special teams play is conducted every third play, but in the NFL, it's certainly NOT 30% of the game. It's roughly 10-12%. The average kickoff went to the 5 1/2 yd line last year, adjusted for the difference this year and it's going near the goal line. You'll still see roughly 50% of the kicks returned. As one guy put it "9 yards deep and it's coming out, 9 1/2 and I'm thinking about it..." The sky isn't falling.

I'm not sure what kind of football you watch where a special teams play is conducted every third play, but in the NFL, it's certainly NOT 30% of the game. It's roughly 10-12%. The average kickoff went to the 5 1/2 yd line last year, adjusted for the difference this year and it's going near the goal line. You'll still see roughly 50% of the kicks returned. As one guy put it "9 yards deep and it's coming out, 9 1/2 and I'm thinking about it..." The sky isn't falling.

It may not be 30% but I think it is more than 10-12%. Think about it. Every punt, kickoff, field goal attempt, extra point is a special teams play. I think it is about 20%.

I didn't say every third play is a special teams play. What I should have said was it's 1/3 of the game with offense and defense being the other 2/3. Don't take what I wrote so literally. Who says the sky is falling? I'm just saying I don't like seeing more touchbacks.

Another big mouthed newb.

On this question of how much of the game is special teams, I am taking here this past game Browns vs. Green Bay and this is what I come up with from the play by play of the game:

In the first half you had 65 "regular" plays from scrimmage, and 15 special teams plays, making special teams a total of 18.75 % of the plays run in that half.

In the second half there were a total of 70 "regular" plays and 11 special teams plays, making special teams 13.5% of the plays in that half.

For the entire game, there were 135 'regular plays" and 26 special teams plays, making special teams plays about 16.5% of all plays.

I don't know how typical that breakdown is or would be for most NFL games, but that is a snapshot of one particular game.

On this question of how much of the game is special teams, I am taking here this past game Browns vs. Green Bay and this is what I come up with from the play by play of the game:

In the first half you had 65 "regular" plays from scrimmage, and 15 special teams plays, making special teams a total of 18.75 % of the plays run in that half.

In the second half there were a total of 70 "regular" plays and 11 special teams plays, making special teams 13.5% of the plays in that half.

For the entire game, there were 135 'regular plays" and 26 special teams plays, making special teams plays about 16.5% of all plays.

I don't know how typical that breakdown is or would be for most NFL games, but that is a snapshot of one particular game.

I think we are looking at this 2 different ways. If your looking for an exact percentage of special teams plays ran per game then your numbers sound right. All I was trying to say was that when speaking of importance each part of a teams play can be broken down into 3 somewhat equal parts with each weighted the same. Games can be won or lost with special teams just as they can be with the offense or defense.

Would you say if out of the 16.5% of plays in the game 1 or 2 were scoring plays returns for TD or muffed catches on a kick off that led to a scoring drive that those 16% of plays carried more weight? Maybe by a factor of 1.75? That would make the value of those plays close to 29% almost 30%.

nice third post! no you didn't come off as too condescending or anything. thanks for bringing your 'football' schmarm to the table.

I think we are looking at this 2 different ways. If your looking for an exact percentage of special teams plays ran per game then your numbers sound right. All I was trying to say was that when speaking of importance each part of a teams play can be broken down into 3 somewhat equal parts with each weighted the same. Games can be won or lost with special teams just as they can be with the offense or defense.

Would you say if out of the 16.5% of plays in the game 1 or 2 were scoring plays returns for TD or muffed catches on a kick off that led to a scoring drive that those 16% of plays carried more weight? Maybe by a factor of 1.75? That would make the value of those plays close to 29% almost 30%.

Cleveland Browns 2010

Offense: 40.2%

Defense: 45.7%

Special Teams: 14.1%

Kickoffs: 5.6%

And concerning weighting, there were 36 TDs off of kickoff/punt returns last season, for the entire NFL season. The scoring impact simply isn't there. Moving kickoffs 5 yards isn't going to have nearly the impact that people are expecting. The only valid argument has to do with the potential average starting position and an offense's overall success rate of moving the ball from said starting position. But until that data comes out, it's pure speculation.

As for being a 'loud mouth noob' or anyone else that wants to toss around post counts, say whatever makes you feel confident about yourself. The ignorance in your comments speaks for itself and at the end of the day, it doesn't change the statistics/facts. I'm not going to call you names / make ignorant suggestions. This is basic research to see what the real impact is. The statement that Special Teams is 1/3 of the game is just a typical football cliche. Anyone can take the time to look at the numbers and see what the truth is. Some people just prefer to throw around 'common logic' instead of taking the time to understand what is really going on.

And just for fun, I skimmed the Preseason Wk.1 box scores... I didn't run total numbers, but I'd venture to say that the average kick return is UP from last year. This includes 103yd return from B. Walters, 84 by D. Karim, 70 by J. Knox and 58 by B. Banks. Numerous returns over 30 yards.

Remember that the 5yd adjustment was also put in place with the restriction on the kicking team not being allowed to start 10-15yds behind the kicker. So the kicking team doesn't start by running at full speed when the ball is kicked.

And just for fun, I skimmed the Preseason Wk.1 box scores... I didn't run total numbers, but I'd venture to say that the average kick return is UP from last year. This includes 103yd return from B. Walters, 84 by D. Karim, 70 by J. Knox and 58 by B. Banks. Numerous returns over 30 yards.

Remember that the 5yd adjustment was also put in place with the restriction on the kicking team not being allowed to start 10-15yds behind the kicker. So the kicking team doesn't start by running at full speed when the ball is kicked.

Well, I was at the Browns Packers game and I saw plenty of times guys running the ball out from 7 years deep in the End Zone. I doubt that will be the norm in the regular season.

Archived