THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts From Last Night

Earl34

With the understanding that you can't read too much into preseason, most of us have been yearning for the NFL to get back to being the NFL...it merits some discussion. The thoughts that follow are regarding the first teamers unless otherwise specified.

Things I liked

1. Colt McCoy- Yes, I'm a homer but 9/10 passing with two deep throws on the money is a great night out for a preseason. He looked poised and obviously the WCO is his game. While Texas ran the spread offense, the passing concepts are remarkably similar as I had posted last year. His throws were accurate and that pass that he dropped into traffic over the middle was a thing of beauty (don't remember the receiver).

2. Josh Cribbs- Cribbs really did a nice job on that TD. If you ever watched any of the Bears trying to convert Devin Hester to WR, you'll notice that some of these guys simply can't do the little things it takes to be WR (crisp routes, not tipping their hand, etc).

3. The return game. Norwood has a bit of that wiggle that's very exciting. Still trying to think of who he reminds me of. He's a bit small, so durability may be an issue.

4. Ben Watson- Yes, he had a false start but this guy can play the TE position.

5. Offensive Flow- yes. I liked it.

6. Brian Sanford, DE- This kid (#70) was on the practice squad last year and he had a good game against (admittedly) their backups. He had at least two tackles and was in on a lot of plays. On the goal line, he penetrated and played his gap with good discipline. He's a little slower than you like but he also showed being able to setup the right tackle. He used a couple of combination moves to get into the backfield and he had the strip sack of Harrell. I don't know that he makes the team as he's got a few guys ahead of him but I was watching line play late in the game and he stood out.

7. Brandon Jackson- This guy is going to be very good for us and we will need him to be. Good runner, great blocker. Hillis is bound to wear down (although I hope he doesn't)...and this guy is a great backup.

Things I didn't like

1. Defensive line- There were brief moments where the starters looked ok. Phil Taylor can move his feet a bit but for the most part, the starting four got no pressure. There was one play where three of the four linemen (all but Rubin) were on the ground. That's not good. Taylor played far too upright for an interior lineman. Jayme Mitchell had no secondary move. He had one sack which was nice but he used a speed move upfield every time.

2. Linebackers not named Fujita- D'Qwell Jackson may have over 150 tackles this year if he stays healthy but they're bound to all be 5-10 yards downfield. Does this guy have a problem meeting the runner IN the damned hole? As GB took out their better players, Benard seemed to play better but he's going to be one of these guys who is going to have a hard time finding a position in the 4-3.

3. Jauron, what's with the blitz?! This is preseason. In case Jauron missed the memo, you don't show your blitzes in preseason. Maybe an a-gap blitz here or there but Jauron was blitzing like it was the Super Bowl and he was behind. Dude! Cover-2 and a bit of zone. THAT'S IT! You got beat on a lot of those blitzes too.

4. DBs- I really wanted to put this into the "like" category but they just had a rough night. Haden played reasonably well. I felt bad for Sheldon Brown. He seemed to get turned around a lot and while he was tight on the receiver, he wasn't locating the ball well. The safeties hit well and it's hard to know if they looked bad because of breakdowns by the front seven.

5. Eric Steinbach- I've said it so much I should probably just presume it's a given. This guy is a terribly over-rated offensive lineman. He gets stood up or knocked back on most plays. The only good push he had was on the Hillis TD on an angle block. Mack bails this guy out repeatedly.

6. Running game. I guess it's still early but there was very little push early in the game. The final YPC was a respectable 3.9 but one rush was a reverse for 20 yards and the first and second team rushing was closer to 3 yards per rush; that's not going to be good enough.

7. Backup QBs- Seneca may be okay for a game here and there (he was last year) but he didn't move the team and threw a pick against their backups. Jarrett is a work in progress.

Just some thoughts to get the debate going. Add on or disagree as you see fit.

Didn't get to watch the game (little bro turned 21) so i was wondering how the offensive play calling looked, as well as the WRs.

Also will there be a replay on the STO? I can't remember if they have done that before but I couldn't find anything on my quick peruse of the TV guide, and i don't have NFL network

With the understanding that you can't read too much into preseason, most of us have been yearning for the NFL to get back to being the NFL...it merits some discussion. The thoughts that follow are regarding the first teamers unless otherwise specified.

Things I liked

1. Colt McCoy- Yes, I'm a homer but 9/10 passing with two deep throws on the money is a great night out for a preseason. He looked poised and obviously the WCO is his game. While Texas ran the spread offense, the passing concepts are remarkably similar as I had posted last year. His throws were accurate and that pass that he dropped into traffic over the middle was a thing of beauty (don't remember the receiver).

2. Josh Cribbs- Cribbs really did a nice job on that TD. If you ever watched any of the Bears trying to convert Devin Hester to WR, you'll notice that some of these guys simply can't do the little things it takes to be WR (crisp routes, not tipping their hand, etc).

3. The return game. Norwood has a bit of that wiggle that's very exciting. Still trying to think of who he reminds me of. He's a bit small, so durability may be an issue.

4. Ben Watson- Yes, he had a false start but this guy can play the TE position.

5. Offensive Flow- yes. I liked it.

6. Brian Sanford, DE- This kid (#70) was on the practice squad last year and he had a good game against (admittedly) their backups. He had at least two tackles and was in on a lot of plays. On the goal line, he penetrated and played his gap with good discipline. He's a little slower than you like but he also showed being able to setup the right tackle. He used a couple of combination moves to get into the backfield and he had the strip sack of Harrell. I don't know that he makes the team as he's got a few guys ahead of him but I was watching line play late in the game and he stood out.

7. Brandon Jackson- This guy is going to be very good for us and we will need him to be. Good runner, great blocker. Hillis is bound to wear down (although I hope he doesn't)...and this guy is a great backup.

Things I didn't like

1. Defensive line- There were brief moments where the starters looked ok. Phil Taylor can move his feet a bit but for the most part, the starting four got no pressure. There was one play where three of the four linemen (all but Rubin) were on the ground. That's not good. Taylor played far too upright for an interior lineman. Jayme Mitchell had no secondary move. He had one sack which was nice but he used a speed move upfield every time.

2. Linebackers not named Fujita- D'Qwell Jackson may have over 150 tackles this year if he stays healthy but they're bound to all be 5-10 yards downfield. Does this guy have a problem meeting the runner IN the damned hole? As GB took out their better players, Benard seemed to play better but he's going to be one of these guys who is going to have a hard time finding a position in the 4-3.

3. Jauron, what's with the blitz?! This is preseason. In case Jauron missed the memo, you don't show your blitzes in preseason. Maybe an a-gap blitz here or there but Jauron was blitzing like it was the Super Bowl and he was behind. Dude! Cover-2 and a bit of zone. THAT'S IT! You got beat on a lot of those blitzes too.

4. DBs- I really wanted to put this into the "like" category but they just had a rough night. Haden played reasonably well. I felt bad for Sheldon Brown. He seemed to get turned around a lot and while he was tight on the receiver, he wasn't locating the ball well. The safeties hit well and it's hard to know if they looked bad because of breakdowns by the front seven.

5. Eric Steinbach- I've said it so much I should probably just presume it's a given. This guy is a terribly over-rated offensive lineman. He gets stood up or knocked back on most plays. The only good push he had was on the Hillis TD on an angle block. Mack bails this guy out repeatedly.

6. Running game. I guess it's still early but there was very little push early in the game. The final YPC was a respectable 3.9 but one rush was a reverse for 20 yards and the first and second team rushing was closer to 3 yards per rush; that's not going to be good enough.

7. Backup QBs- Seneca may be okay for a game here and there (he was last year) but he didn't move the team and threw a pick against their backups. Jarrett is a work in progress.

Just some thoughts to get the debate going. Add on or disagree as you see fit.

I agree with ya on most things for sure...

Its to early to gripe as some things are likely because of the lockout, rust and new systems being installed with many rookie parts..

With that said a few stand out things that caught my eye in a troubling way.

(1) We still appear very weak at the FS position, its almost as if elam was still out there, lets hope jauron can do something here because we are shallow and adams is not a 1st quality starter and young may not be either....

(2) Our D-line had no consistent threatening push, for now i will chalk this up to 2 rookies and an ex-viking 3rd stringer learning the art of getting owned by a decent O-line, hopefully it doesnt taste good to them and they learn to deal with it..

(3)Sheldon brown still gets turned around too easily and seems to have an identifiable weakness in man coverage at the corner of the endzone, and if we cant apply more pressure at the line and or if brown doesnt adjust it will prove to be as big an exploitable weakness as adams starting at FS..

Overall i really like what jauron wants to do with the defense but we may be a couple or few bolts short of completion at the end of the day..

As for showing blitz packages generally its not a good idea but for this group i was glad to see them apply them as our guys really need to work on these things and our coaches need to evaluate what will and wont work with this group...

I didnt see much wrong with the offense that practice and shaking off the rust wont fix..

And yes having a real head coach that knows how to get the most out of his QBs is awesome!

(3)Sheldon brown still gets turned around too easily and seems to have an identifiable weakness in man coverage at the corner of the endzone, and if we cant apply more pressure at the line and or if brown doesnt adjust it will prove to be as big an exploitable weakness as adams starting at FS..

When he was with Philadelphia, Sheldon Brown did play some safety. It may simply be that he's at CB because the third CB isn't starter material. With that in mind, the question that should be asked is

"Where should Sheldon Brown play to put the best combination of defensive backs on the field in the base package?"

Alternately phrased, you could ask "Is Adams or Young at SF better than (insert third CB here) at corner?"

Nice job, Earl, but I disagree about the dline. They are learning a new defense, and they shut down the running game of the world

champs hugely. The Browns led big in rushing yards gained. They are still coordinating things, and I was glad to see a few blitzes - you show those

to practice in real situations, and to put opposing teams on alert that the Browns can kick arse now.

They were getting rid of the ball real quick, and it's a very, very solid oline. I was very happy with the offensive line.

LOVED the first exhibition game !!!!! What a freakin breath of fresh air !

Nice job, Earl, but I disagree about the dline. They are learning a new defense, and they shut down the running game of the world

champs hugely. The Browns led big in rushing yards gained. They are still coordinating things, and I was glad to see a few blitzes - you show those

to practice in real situations, and to put opposing teams on alert that the Browns can kick arse now.

They were getting rid of the ball real quick, and it's a very, very solid oline. I was very happy with the offensive line.

LOVED the first exhibition game !!!!! What a freakin breath of fresh air !

The d-line was actually my biggest concern after watching the game. Not trying to be a downer because overall I thought it was a great game for the Browns. But I saw verrry little pressure from our front 4 (and Jauron is known to rely on just those 4 to create the majority of the pass rush). I understand there are 2 rookies on the line, but the preseason is not used to showcase running plays so saying they shut down the run is a bit of a stretch... I just didnt really see too much out of them, but its very early, I understand.

And give Sheldon a break, if that touchdown pass wasnt perfectly thrown by a top 3 QB in the NFL, and a great route by an experienced WR, no one would be talking about how bad he played...

I agree with just about everything except the defensive play calling. Juran is a conservative coach we won't see much blitzing during the regular season. He was forcing CB's to cover man on man and seeing who can cover and who can get to the QB. I believe because it's preseason there evaluating what they have. As far as the D-line goes I think we all knew the pass rush would be a big problem especially with no real DE's.

For there first game after a two weeks of practice and new systems and coaches I'm pleased. I still think were 5-6 win team. We also beat Green Bay last preseason to.

everybody has been blitzing a lot so far. jauron is going to run an aggressive defense and its good to see what works early and what doesnt.

jackson looked very good but the line doesnt seem to have any quality depth. jackson made a lot happen all by himself.

another guy i was impressed with was #10 jordan norwood. i couldnt hear his name and nobody in my section knew who he was but we were all lovin some of the plays he was makin

I was actually amazed to see so few mistakes for such a short training camp. We'll only go as far as our talent (or lack thereof) will take us, but we didn't see drive killing penalties on the Browns' side of the ball. This was a well coordinated effort & we'll see what happens from here on.

It was an enjoyable game to watch & that WCO, with Colt leading, is going to be lots of fun to watch.

Kudos to the Coaching Staff for the preparation.

Mike

If you had the same preseason philosophy on offense, you'd just give the ball to Hillis up the middle on every down.

Turn the D loose. Let our boys get a whiff of what the QB smells like before the real games. Let them have some fun.

I felt bad for Sheldon Brown. He seemed to get turned around a lot and while he was tight on the receiver, he wasn't locating the ball well.

That was Aaron Rodgers intention on the TD Pass. You can chalk that one up to a receiver knowing where the ball's gonna be and the QB putting it only where his guy can catch it. No Defense for a perfect pass. As far as the rest of the game I can't speak on all I got to see was the highlights. It looked like they were having fun and I think that's something they've missed since 07. It was a nicely played game from the highlights I saw.

Archived