THE BROWNS BOARD

Steinbach Out For Season

why cant we win

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6909548/eric-steinbach-cleveland-browns-season-back-injury

EREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns starting offensive guard Eric Steinbach is out for the season with a back injury.

Steinbach underwent back surgery on Tuesday to repair a "disk issue." Cleveland coach Pat Shurmur said the surgery went well, but that the team will place Steinbach on injured reserve, ending his season.

The Browns were awarded offensive lineman Oniel Cousins off waivers from Baltimore earlier Tuesday, a move made for protection if they had to put Steinbach on injured reserve.

Steinbach left practice two weeks ago when his back stiffened up. He had been getting treatments before opting to have surgery.

The 31-year-old hasn't missed a snap in two years, playing between Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas and Pro Bowl center Alex Mack. Steinbach's quickness allows the Browns to use him on sweeps, and his blocks helped Peyton Hillis rush for nearly 1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.

Steinbach has been with the Browns for four seasons. He signed with Cleveland in 2007 after spending four seasons in Cincinnati.

Cousins was drafted by the Ravens in 2008. He made four starts and appeared in 25 games.

With Steinbach out, rookie guard Jason Pinkston, a fifth-round pick from Pittsburgh, has been working with the first-team offense.

I think we are about to find out just how valuable Eric is to the team. There has been much debate on these forums about his size and about his paycheck.

Earl34 has noted several plays where he has been stood up and over powered. At the same time he can pull and run block like a mofo and his experience is a big plus.

Hate to see it become a career ender

I agree, but to be honest always felt Steinbach was viewed much like Verba....way better then he really was.

I don't know if Pinkston can replace him, but Steiny was far from replaceable.

Well, this is the NFL, and injuries are a part of the game. Someone is going to have to step up, player and coaches. Good luck to ES as I've suffered through 4 lower back surgeries myself.

Archived