THE BROWNS BOARD

Armond Smith

beefjerky

Any reasons why he shouldn't be the main backup to Hillis and taking around 1/3 of the carries? He's fast, possibly the fastest guy on the team, doesn't seem to have a fumbling problem. Could be a real steal for a UDFA. Even when Brandon Jackson gets healthy, I think Armond should be 2nd in line(no disrespect to Hardesty).

I don't know how well his pass catching abilities are, but I doubt they're all that bad. There's a highlight video of him but it's basically just him outrunning everyone(weak competition, still impressive), didn't really see any catches. He also had that 88 yard run against the Lions, preseason, but he still looked very fast. Not sure if was against the 1st 2nd or 3rd team(I'm guessing the 2nd), but I don't think it'd have mattered much.

he's looked pretty impressive IMO too, but not enough to be talking about being the backup to Hillis. For the not having a fumble problem, he did have 2 in the pre-season alone. I do like him enough to be on the team though as the 4th RB, but hardesty is gonna get the looks as the back-up

he's looked pretty impressive IMO too, but not enough to be talking about being the backup to Hillis. For the not having a fumble problem, he did have 2 in the pre-season alone. I do like him enough to be on the team though as the 4th RB, but hardesty is gonna get the looks as the back-up

Yeah I was going off his college numbers in terms of the fumbling, then again it's D3.

I hope Hardesty can do well but honestly I think Armond complements Hillis better, and I have my doubts on Hardesty staying healthy consistently(watch for another knee injury). I don't know why everyone wants this guy to only play special teams, that would be a waste of his talent. Sure to start off on ST would be ok, but not to be there permanently.

Yeah I was going off his college numbers in terms of the fumbling, then again it's D3.

I hope Hardesty can do well but honestly I think Armond complements Hillis better, and I have my doubts on Hardesty staying healthy consistently(watch for another knee injury). I don't know why everyone wants this guy to only play special teams, that would be a waste of his talent. Sure to start off on ST would be ok, but not to be there permanently.

It wasn't even D3, he played NIAI which are very small schools or community colleges.

I like him a good bit better than Porter. Not only is he fast (I read somewhere that he's faster than Scrine) but for his size, he breaks a hell of a lot of tackles. I think the kid's a keeper, but that's just my opinion, not an experts.

Mike

I like the kid too. My only gig is that he has to chill out with the fumbles. Other than that I think he'd make an impact right away.

I like the kid too. My only gig is that he has to chill out with the fumbles. Other than that I think he'd make an impact right away.

Amen there- you need to hit the weight room and build up those arms to keep the fumbles down. The kid obviously has NFL speed and vision.

I really think he'll make the final roster if not- certainly on the developmental squad, assuming no other team claims him- and I think Al Davis had his stopwatch out on his films. :(

Smith impressed me even after the philly wet n wild fumblefest, every time the kid touches the ball you feel like something big could happen i believe he gets the nod over porter..

In game 4 he sparked the team on several occasions and held on to the ball with both hands in traffic when shurmy replaced smith with porter the wind sorta left the sails..

Armond is an exciting player to watch and would add some much needed speed the team otherwise lacks on offense..

I'm not concerned about the fumbles...both those in the Detroit game were careless, unforced fumbles.

As far as comparisons to Harrison, this kid's faster & even though he's smaller than Harrison, he seldom is taken down with initial contact showing surprising power for his size. I always thought that was Harrison's biggest weakness.

Smith is the type back I like as a complement to Hillis. Defenses adjust to a power back, then throw a scat back at 'em.

Only time will tell, but Smith is fun to watch.

Mike

Guy reminds me a lot of Harrison.

Fumbles are something he should be able to fix, as mentioned that multi. fumble game was in that wet philly game.

Can he pass block is probably the big question...

At only 5'9" the bigger question to me would be can he catch because there is no doubt he can get separation out of the backfield on a LB or S..

As a blocker he will likely not fare to well..

At only 5'9" the bigger question to me would be can he catch because there is no doubt he can get separation out of the backfield on a LB or S..

As a blocker he will likely not fare to well..

yes he is definitely a speed guy and not a power guy. If he can't catch, he will be almost useless to the browns since he most likely won't be a great blocker. And even though I do have confidence that he will be able to catch the ball out of the backfield, Hardesty is the #2 back as of now, and the guy I am more anxious to see play in the regular season..

Archived