Travis Ivey (DL)

Chris Matthews (WR)

Steve Octavien (LB)

Ko Quaye (DL)

Ramzee Robinson (DB)

DeAngelo Smith (DB)

Sidney Tarver (LB)

Phil Trautwein (OL)

The Browns also terminated the contract of wide receiver Demetrius Williams.

The team's roster is currently at 63 players.

Browns waive 16 players

Posted 7 minutes ago

The Browns waived the following 16 players on Saturday morning:

Branndon Braxton (OL)

Andre Carroll (DL)

L.J. Castile (WR)

Calton Ford (OL)

Coye Francies (DB)

Evan Frosch (TE)

Carl Gettis (DB)

Eric Gordon (LB)

Travis Ivey (DL)

Chris Matthews (WR)

Steve Octavien (LB)

Ko Quaye (DL)

Ramzee Robinson (DB)

DeAngelo Smith (DB)

Sidney Tarver (LB)

Phil Trautwein (OL)

The Browns also terminated the contract of wide receiver Demetrius Williams.

The team's roster is currently at 63 players.

Bummer about Francies. He's a hard hitter. Just not enough roster spots......

Brandon Jackson heads to injured reserve in Browns final moves

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 3, 2011, 9:42 PM EDT

Brandon Jackson AP

The Browns started their cuts early Saturday by letting go of 17 players.

After a long day of moves, the final ten players moves they made will complete our 32-team journey through Cutdown day.

Cleveland placed Brandon Jackson on injured reserve with a toe injury. There was some dispute about how long Jackson would take to recover, but the Browns clearly felt they couldn’t wait for him. Perhaps an injury settlement could be possible if he gets healthy.

Also cut: OL Dominic Alford, QB Jarrett Brown, RB Tyler Clutts, LB Archie Donald, RB Quinn Porter, DL Brian Sanford, OL Jarrod Shaw, LB Brian Smith, and WR Rod Windsor.

MaryKayCabot: Browns waive:

OL -Alford

QB -Brown

FB -Clutts

LB -Donald

RB- Porter

DL -Sanford

OL -Shaw

LB -Smith

WR -Windsor

OL - Branndon Braxton

DL - Andre Carroll

WR - L.J. Castile

OL - Calton Ford

DB - Coye Francies

TE - Evan Frosch

DB - Carl Gettis

LB - Eric Gordon

DL - Travis Ivey

WR - Chris Matthews

LB - Steve Octavien

DL - Ko Quaye

DB - Ramzee Robinson

DB - DeAngelo Smith

LB - Sidney Tarver

OL - Phil Trautwein

Terminated Contract - Demetrius Williams

B jackson IR

MaryKayCabot: Browns waive:

OL -Alford

QB -Brown

FB -Clutts

LB -Donald

RB- Porter

DL -Sanford

OL -Shaw

LB -Smith

WR -Windsor

OL - Branndon Braxton

DL - Andre Carroll

WR - L.J. Castile

OL - Calton Ford

DB - Coye Francies

TE - Evan Frosch

DB - Carl Gettis

LB - Eric Gordon

DL - Travis Ivey

WR - Chris Matthews

LB - Steve Octavien

DL - Ko Quaye

DB - Ramzee Robinson

DB - DeAngelo Smith

LB - Sidney Tarver

OL - Phil Trautwein

Terminated Contract - Demetrius Williams

B jackson IR

Well, that means Smith (RB) made the team, and the only surprise in the cuts is Coye Francis. Was thinking Carlton Mitchell was definitely on the bubble.

I am really starting to like Armond Smith. I am glad we kept him.

Looking over who other teams cut I didn't see anything spectacular ... but I did notice the Jags cut our old pick Don Carey ... We could use the safety depth and he is still very young. I wouldn't hate picking him up. The Bungles also cut Brandon Ghee who was there third round pick last yr. I don't know much about him ... but he was a third rounder just last yr and we also need some CB depth.

I am also a little curious to see if Shurmer trys to have us go after either Donnie Avery or Mardy Gilyrd eventhough I don't think we need either.

There were no real big suprises that we cut this year. So now that we made our final cut who we gonna pick up off the wire? Im licking my chops at some of the releases:

New England

Brandon Meriiweather, S

Brandon Tate, WR

Denver

Parrish Cox, CB

New England is good at releasing players at the right time. As appealing as Merriweather may seem I'd doubt he would help us much. I could be wrong

if they cut QB Brown..............who's the 3rd string QB?

We will have a third QB on the practice Squad. And on Gamedays, Cribbs can fill the role and run the option if they both are absolutely knocked out.

Zombo

We will have a third QB on the practice Squad. And on Gamedays, Cribbs can fill the role and run the option if they both are absolutely knocked out.

Zombo

That's my thinking....and it is probably a better option then trying to run our O with a 3rd stringer.

Work Cribbs in practice every once in a while with a 10-15 play package....lot's of roll options and handoffs to Hillis.

A guy that's only 27 and went to the Pro-bowl the previous 2 years doesn't lose his job in half a preseason game. Doesn't happen, there was something else that contributed to his release......He's a Chicago Bear now anyway.

I'd like to see S Mark Legree on the team or atleast the practice squad. He's a ballhawk and has alot of potential but playing against weak competition in college isn't helping his chances. David Gilreath would make for a nice developmental receiver on the practice squad to.

Browns claim QB Thaddeus Lewis, LB Quinton Spears, DL Emmanuel Stephens off waivers

by NATE ULRICH on SEPTEMBER 4, 2011

in CLEVELAND BROWNS,NFL

The Browns have claimed the following players off waivers: quarterback Thaddeus Lewis from the St. Louis Rams, linebacker Quinton Spears from the Miami Dolphins and defensive lineman Emmanuel Stephens from the Atlanta Falcons. To make room on their roster, the Browns waived defensive end Auston English and linebacker Benjamin Jacobs. They also terminated the contract of defensive end Derreck Robinson.

The 6-foot, 219-pound Lewis will reunite with coach Pat Shurmur, who spent the past two seasons serving as the Rams' offensive coordinator. Lewis was signed by the Rams last year as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Duke University. He was on the Rams' 53-man roster for the season-opener last year before spending the final 14 weeks on the practice squad. In four preseason games this year, he completed 23-of-32 passes for 266 yards and a passer rating of 96.6.

The 6-4, 234-pound Spears is an undrafted rookie from Prairie View A&M University in Texas, where he played defensive end. In four preseason games this year, he compiled two tackles, a sack and a pass defensed.

The 6-3, 255-pound Stephens signed with the Falcons last year as an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Mississippi. In four preseason games this year, he recorded nine tackles and a sack.

In addition to the other moves, the Browns also signed six players to their practice squad: offensive linemen Dominic Alford and Jarrod Shaw, fullback Tyler Clutts, running back Quinn Porter, defensive lineman Brian Sanford and wide receiver Rod Windsor. All six players were cut by the Browns on Saturday.

ScottPetrak

#Browns add 3 off waivers: QB Thaddeus Lewis, LB Quinton Spears, DL Emmanuel Stephens. Browns cut DL Auston English, LB Jacobs, DL Robinson.

Scott Petrak

#Browns start to fill practice squad, all waived Sat.: OL Alford, OL Shaw, FB Clutts, RB Porter, DL Sanford, WR Windsor. 2 spots left.

Browns claim QB Thaddeus Lewis, LB Quinton Spears, DL Emmanuel Stephens off waivers

by NATE ULRICH on SEPTEMBER 4, 2011

in CLEVELAND BROWNS,NFL

The Browns have claimed the following players off waivers: quarterback Thaddeus Lewis from the St. Louis Rams, linebacker Quinton Spears from the Miami Dolphins and defensive lineman Emmanuel Stephens from the Atlanta Falcons. To make room on their roster, the Browns waived defensive end Auston English and linebacker Benjamin Jacobs. They also terminated the contract of defensive end Derreck Robinson.

The 6-foot, 219-pound Lewis will reunite with coach Pat Shurmur, who spent the past two seasons serving as the Rams' offensive coordinator. Lewis was signed by the Rams last year as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Duke University. He was on the Rams' 53-man roster for the season-opener last year before spending the final 14 weeks on the practice squad. In four preseason games this year, he completed 23-of-32 passes for 266 yards and a passer rating of 96.6.

The 6-4, 234-pound Spears is an undrafted rookie from Prairie View A&M University in Texas, where he played defensive end. In four preseason games this year, he compiled two tackles, a sack and a pass defensed.

The 6-3, 255-pound Stephens signed with the Falcons last year as an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Mississippi. In four preseason games this year, he recorded nine tackles and a sack.

In addition to the other moves, the Browns also signed six players to their practice squad: offensive linemen Dominic Alford and Jarrod Shaw, fullback Tyler Clutts, running back Quinn Porter, defensive lineman Brian Sanford and wide receiver Rod Windsor. All six players were cut by the Browns on Saturday.

Means Jarrett Brown isn't coming back to be the third QB.

Archived