THE BROWNS BOARD

Espn's 2011 Power Rankings Week 1

Gafreleets

Steelers at third is pretty legit. but browns all the way down there? not that i think you'll be 10-6 this year or anything, but i could easily find at least 5 teams that i think the browns could wipe the floor with.

anyway.........

2011 Power Rankings: Week 1

RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT

1 (1) Packers 10-6 Are we seeing an NFC Championship Game preview when the Packers host the Saints Thursday? (Walker)

2 (2) Patriots 14-2 I'm a little concerned how they match up against man-to-man coverage, but they are the AFC's top dogs. (Clayton)

3 (5) Steelers 12-4 QB Ben Roethlisberger could have his best statistical year in 2011. (Walker)

4 (3) Eagles 10-6 The Eagles will have new starters at four of the five offensive line positions, including at right tackle. They must keep Michael Vick upright for the season to be a success. (Fox)

5 (4) Saints 11-5 Turnover at running back gives the Saints' offense a new feel this season. (Sando)

6 (6) Falcons 13-3 The Falcons showed they're serious with the draft-day trade for Julio Jones. (Sando)

7 (7) Jets 11-5 Rex Ryan and the Jets face a tough ride back to the AFC title game. It's tough to do it three straight years. (Clayton)

8 (9) Ravens 12-4 We will find out right away where Baltimore stands in Week 1 against Pittsburgh. (Walker)

9 (8) Colts 10-6 When does Peyton Manning play, and how well can he do at the start of his season? (Kuharsky)

10 (10) Chargers 9-7 Time to turn talent and statistics into wins. Slow start and/or playoff fade are old scripts. (Kuharsky)

11 (17) Texans 6-10 Have depth at running back to compete minus (or with a limited) Arian Foster if they have to. (Kuharsky)

12 (12) Buccaneers 10-6 NFL's youngest team has one of the brightest young QBs in Josh Freeman. (Sando)

13 (13) Bears 11-5 A brutal schedule the first three weeks could lead to a slow start. (Walker)

14 (16) Cowboys 6-10 With no offseason to speak of, it might take awhile for the defensive players to get used to Rob Ryan's schemes. Once they do, the Cowboys could be scary good on defense. (Fox)

15 (11) Giants 10-6 No team suffered bigger preseason losses from an injury standpoint than the Giants, particularly in the secondary. At least they get the Redskins in Week 1. (Fox)

16 (18) Lions 6-10 The Lions (4-0) took the preseason seriously. Will it translate into the regular season? (Walker)

17 (15) Rams 7-9 Primary question is whether the Rams did enough to help Sam Bradford at WR. (Sando)

18 (14) Chiefs 10-6 It's often difficult to follow up a breakthrough season with a strong showing. That's Todd Haley's challenge. (Kuharsky)

19 (22) Jaguars 8-8 Not enough preseason progress on big issues: playmaking on offense and pass-rushing on defense. (Kuharsky)

20 (25) Vikings 6-10 Thanks to Chris Johnson, Vikes RB Adrian Peterson could be thinking dollar signs with every big rush this season. (Walker)

21 (21) Cardinals 5-11 Kevin Kolb's arrival gives the Cardinals renewed hope following a 5-11 season. (Sando)

22 (23) Raiders 8-8 Was 2010 division sweep a fluke? The Raiders need to be more consistent no matter the opponent. (Kuharsky)

23 (20) Titans 6-10 Add Chris Johnson and a healthy Kenny Britt to the mix and the offense could surprise. (Kuharsky)

24 (24) Dolphins 7-9 It amazes me that the offensive line is a problem with all the investments and work in trying to fix it. (Clayton)

25 (19) Seahawks 7-9 Decision to go with QB Tarvaris Jackson as starter has confounded NFL. (Sando)

26 (26) 49ers 6-10 49ers could have as many as six new starters on defense. (Sando)

27 (27) Broncos 4-12 Kyle Orton is better than people think. And the transition to John Fox's thinking could be too. (Kuharsky)

28 (29) Redskins 6-10 Mike Shanahan will have Rex Grossman start the season at quarterback, but in all likelihood John Beck will finish it. (Fox)

29 (28) Browns 5-11 Lack of quality depth will hurt the Browns. (Walker)

30 (31) Bills 4-12 The Bills look better stopping the run, but their defense will struggle against passing teams. (Clayton)

31 (30) Panthers 2-14 Panthers have an interesting mix with Steve Smith, Jeremy Shockey and a rookie QB. (Sando)

32 (32) Bengals 4-12 Coach Marvin Lewis says the 2011 Bengals are better than the 2010 Bengals (4-12). It should be a close race. (Walker)

Have to agree with the Gaffer.

"Browns 5-11 Lack of quality depth will hurt the Browns. (Walker)" well then, until the injuries hit- you have them ranked too low. And the Colts - Manning? Too high.

Have to agree with the Gaffer.

"Browns 5-11 Lack of quality depth will hurt the Browns. (Walker)" well then, until the injuries hit- you have them ranked too low. And the Colts - Manning? Too high.

True, you nailed it hoorta. For a guy who once covered the Browns full time Walker seems to really dislike them. It's very rare to read something positive about the Browns from him.

The Gipper's power rankings....every bit as legit as anything anyone else can come up with:

1. Packers

2. Patriots

3. Falcons

4. Eagles

5. Jets

6. Saints

7. Chargers

8. Bears

9. Cowboys

10.Buccaneers

11.Ravens

12.Texans

13.Steelers

14.Chiefs

15.Giants

16.Browns

17.Lions

18.Rams

19.Vikings

20.Bills

21.Cardinals

22.49ers

23.Raiders

24.Colts (w/o Manning)

25.Titans

26.Dolphins

27.Broncos

28.Panthers

29.Seahawks

30.Redskins

31.Jaguars

32.Bengals

I think the lack of depth could be a problem but the key word is "could". It all depends on injuries. I think we're on the right track and and 9-7 or with some luck 10-6 season is very possible. I'm more in the 7-9 or 8-8 camp for what I think the season holds for us. But with a ton of injuries to key players (cribbs, mccoy, hillis etc) it could be a long year and more like 4-12.

I'll predict that you miss by an average over 4 spots on these teams. Eagles, Jets, Chargers, Bears, Texans, Steelers, Browns

Well, on your revision, you dropped 6 teams down, but only pushed one team up. I can't work that way. You'll have to do a complete rearrangement of all the teams, not just a few.

Your missing the point, as normal, your ranking has several major holes in it. Mostly involving the Steelers and the Browns, coupled with your obvious belief, based on your ranking of the Eagles and Jets, that championships can be bought..............when was the last time you saw a team buy a championship?

But.............to make you happy, I will rank them all in my next post and then we will see who is closer at various points of the season.

I got your point, I simply ignored it as being nonsensical. As far as the re-ranking you did, yes, it was essential when you started second guessing mine. That said, having the Steelers ranked #1 is also non-sensical. I don't see where they have gotten any better from last year, just older.

This is obvious, and typical of you. I really don't expect you to know anything about anyone but the Browns but that is stupid even for you.

How about this......The Steelers are returning the same virtual team but with some improvement at WR and cornerback as well as unheard of depth on both offense and defense.

Really? Where is this improvement? I mean, yes, they along with 31 other NFL teams had a draft. That is solely what you are basing your belief on? I guess because the Browns had a draft they are now improved with unheard of depth at DT, DE, CB, WR, TE, SS, CB etc. etc. etc.

By your measure than there are 32 improved teams in the NFL

Archived