THE BROWNS BOARD

Cedric Benson Running Style

Thomaspro

Cedric Benson's running style play's to our advantage. He is more of a straight forward power runner. This means he will be seeing a lot Taylor and Rubin. Which is a plus for us since our Defensive Ends our unproven and possibly undersized with a lack of experience.

What do you think?

Thomaspro

Cedric Benson's running style play's to our advantage. He is more of a straight forward power runner. This means he will be seeing a lot Taylor and Rubin. Which is a plus for us since our Defensive Ends our unproven and possibly undersized with a lack of experience.

What do you think?

Thomaspro

Well, I think this: Benson has always gone wild in the past against the Browns, probably for the reasons you suggest: Browns were weak up the middle. Now, it is alleged that they are much stronger up the middle with Rubin, Taylor and Jackson. I hope so. Personally, I believe DQJ is essentially a below average MLB. That said, he is probably better than our OLBs.

The Browns are incredibly weak on the fringes. OLB and DE are big question marks. If Benson is the Bengals main hope in beating the Browns, then I hope that middle will be clogged. (having TJ Ward there as well helps)

Benson is a capable RB around the ends as well as up the middle, he can be a serious screen pass threat as well..

IMHO the middle should be ok however both ends are extremely suspect and we should expect the bungals to test them thoroughly before having to place the game on daltons rookie arm..

While I would agree that he's more of a "between the tackles" runner, to suggest that Cedric Benson will fail against the Browns because he's going to exclude 75% of his potential running lanes and run at Rubin and Taylor is a bit simplistic. Benson can get to the edge. He will not beat anyone to the edge but he can get there and if his team blocks, he'll make yardage. I think D'Qwell Jackson is not going to be meeting Benson at the line. He will give ground as he seems to frequently do.

I am more concerned that Benson is going to beat up our perimeter players and by the fourth quarter he'll be running more downhill.

Two problems with that. They got a HUGE upgrade at WR. IF that guys is given one-on-one coverage, he will have a career day against us.

Agreed. I think that going up against AJ Green is going to be a big test to tell us where Joe Haden is in his development as a CB. I think we've all seen the sick catches that Green is capable of. If Haden is truly a #1 CB then I hope that he shows it here. On the other hand, what some DC will do is put Haden on the #2WR and double Green with Sheldon Brown and the safety. Don't be surprised if the Bengals come out in 3WR or 2TE sets to exploit the holes that are created. We simply don't know exactly how nervous they are or are not about their rookie QB. Do they trust him enough to bait us into stacking the run and throwing 30 times? If they throw 30 times, I think they'll lose.

My personal feeling is that the Browns defensive front has to confuse Dalton enough to make his adjustments less obvious to him. The x-factor in my mind is the Browns defensive line. If this group can get pressure with just the down linemen then our coverage options improve. Can Rubin and Taylor be disruptive enough in the middle? If that happens, look out...we're in for a big afternoon!

Archived