THE BROWNS BOARD

Is it Time to Move On?

YtownBrownsBacker

I hope Randy Lerner is giving a lot of consideration to telling Pioli he is moving on. Supposedly it isn't about money, but it is about power. A guy that has sat and watched Belichick make most decisions now wants absolute power. He wants to bring in a HC from college that Lerner doesn't want anything to do with.

Didn't we get into this mess by giving Savage complete control over football operations. Well, Pioli may have a little more experience then Savage and maybe a little less ego, but this isn't Bobby Beathard that we are trying to convince to come here. This is friggin Pioli..................come on.

Who is this guy that thinks he can hold us hostage? Time to move on Randy.

I would kiss Rich McKay's ass to get him up here. The guy is a experienced professional with a very good track record. You could offer him the VP of football operations job, just like Tuna has in Miami. Let him bring in a young player personnel director to mentor and go after the best available HC.

Lerner needs to grow some balls and say nobody gets absolute power. We are going to build a team concept operation and if you don't want to be part of that, thanks for your time.

Go talk to Rich McKay, Tom Heckert or Charley Casserly.

IMHO the only time a gm should have absolute power is when his ass is on the field as the coach as well...i prefer shared power with the HC having a lot of input on who his assistants are and who actually plays for him..the gm retains the right to fire any of them for obvious reasons including an unreasonable or ignorant coach..

We dont really know whats going on both randy and pioli may have agreed to finish it after they both look at other considerations pioli may not even have serious intentions to go anywhere..

Theres still plenty of time and randy needs to consider a lot of things its more important that he get it right this time..

It's a bit early to settle for the second (or lower) choice at this point, no? Remember that the last time the Browns gave their #1 pick a "take it or leave it" ultimatum, the team ended up with Chris Palmer, who was fired the year #1 won the Super Bowl.

Also, could we at least wait until the guy turns the job down before pretending we believe that he isn't a quality candidate?

Dennis

Calm down....relax.....

It's hard in today's fast food society to get overly anxious for a decision. Keep in mind that less than a week ago this guy was working for a team that still had playoff hopes and super bowl aspirations. Just because our sorry-ass team was out of it by week 3 and we've been awaiting our savior for several weeks now doesn't mean Pioli should be forced to make a HUGE decision within a couple of days.

Society and the Browns would benefit from having more patience.

My point being, is he really the 1st guy, or top guy, if you can't agree on amount of power and if he is trying to force a coach on you that you don't want. Or, is he really the first guy if he is just playing you to get a better deal with NE.

That being said, most of what we have heard is speculation because we don't know what is really going on with them.

I'm just saying, if it is "absolute power" or a dispute over Ferentz, then let's move on. If that isn't the case, then I hope they land him.

I surely am not going to say that a Rich McKay would be a #2 pick settlement. I actually think he is far more qualified then Pioli and has a nicer resume.

Nobody would rank McKay over Pioli right now. McKay needed Dimitroff to get the job done in Atlanta. McKay threw buckets of money at Mike Vick. He's a smart guy, no doubt, but it would be an enormous step down.

I'm really hoping we get Pioli and either Mangini or McDaniels.

McKay did a heck of a job in Tampa Bay with Dungy and rebuilt Atlanta until Vick went to the dogs. I don't think it would be that big of a step down especially if you can't land the HC you want with him. Sorry, but as much as I originally liked Pioli, I don't want him if I have to take Ferentz with him. If he's bringing McDaniel, that's a different story.

If it's Ferentz, I'd rather have McKay and Mangini or Heckert and Spagnoula.

I think Heckert and Spags are my favorite option at this point. Shit, Ghoolie and Spags would be my top choice; I think Spags might be the next superstar coach...

For the mere fact that anything other than Pioli at this point would be perceived as a failure or secondary choice, Lerner better buck up the cash wagon and get it done.

Do you understand it isn't about the money. The money has been settled. It's about not wanting the coach he wants to bring in and not giving him "ABSOLUTE POWER", which he has asked for.

Sometimes after you interview your first choice you realize he isn't the best choice.

Please tell me why anybody else would be perceived a failure? Pioli might have been his initial first choice, but if you can't agree on the direction he wants to take the team, should you sign him anyway? If Lerner has to move on to find a better fit, it won't be about money. He fired Savage and Crennel at a cost of over $20 million still owed, so it isn't about money.

Actually I think he got out of paying Savage cause of the letter to the fan that he was able to write off the money owed because of that. Read that somewhere.

Actually I think he got out of paying Savage cause of the letter to the fan that he was able to write off the money owed because of that. Read that somewhere.

They haven't decided on a settlement yet. It may not be the whole $10 million+, but I remember when he let Davis go, he gave him more then he was entitled to, like a bonus for screwing up. Lerner won't let it go into the courts. He is a private man and doesn't like to draw attention. He'll pay Savage a good amount just to be rid of him and maybe a clause that he can't take any of the Browns scouts or personnel people for 2 years.

Archived