THE BROWNS BOARD

Penalties, Punting, And Play Calling

firebiker911

I haven't seen such a sloppy game since my kids flag football game Saturday. Actually my kids team had fewer penalties than the Browns today (11) and they are 6 and 7 year olds. These guys need to be more disiplined if they expect to move the ball. Third and longs usually don't equal scoring drives and leave the oppostion with great field position especially when you kick 14 yard punts. Which leads too...

I see I'm not the only one not impressed with our new punter. I think we need to punt him back to the grocery store he was working at.

Also, not impressed with the conservative play calling with such a small lead late in the game. Maybe Shurmur should concentrate on that instead of knocking down referees.

That being said. It is week one and these problems can be fixed. Lets get it done sooner than later.

I haven't seen such a sloppy game since my kids flag football game Saturday. Actually my kids team had fewer penalties than the Browns today (11) and they are 6 and 7 year olds. These guys need to be more disiplined if they expect to move the ball. Third and longs usually don't equal scoring drives and leave the oppostion with great field position especially when you kick 14 yard punts. Which leads too...

I see I'm not the only one not impressed with our new punter. I think we need to punt him back to the grocery store he was working at.

Also, not impressed with the conservative play calling with such a small lead late in the game. Maybe Shurmur should concentrate on that instead of knocking down referees.

That being said. It is week one and these problems can be fixed. Lets get it done sooner than later.

Not sure you noticed or not but you just covered why the play calling was so vanilla. When penalties make it 3rd and forever...not a play in the world is going to bring you a multitude of success. As far as the poor punting...it gives the other team field position which in turn makes it difficult for us to get good field position. No coach in their right mind is going to watch their team commit penalties on the simplest of plays and then call something more complex. When these young men on the field execute the basic plays with discipline and sound fundamentals then we'll see some different and complex plays. Our backs are against the wall due to having no off season...a young team...new offensive and defensive systems. So the big thing for us is to play fundamentally sound football. Meaning few penalties and few turnovers. If we can't even do that...don't expect to see flea flickers and double reverses because even if we somehow get a big play.....a lack of sound fundamentals will result in a penalty therefore making the play null and void and most importantly a huge waste of energy. It's got to be basic for now because it's new. If I was Shurmur I wouldn't call anything but vanilla plays until we can execute those vanilla plays to perfection and for positive gains. If I'm Shurmur....I want this young group of guys to pull their heads out of their asses and execute before I throw in any kind of complexity. Point blank period.

So what is the excuse now? New coach? We need to get a coach and give him atleast 3 full seasons. This coach is by far the worse. I have never seen anything like this. The team looked lost on the field. The coach called plays that didn't have a chance at working. Our defense looked like morons. Why is it so hard to get a decent defense? I remember when teams feared our defense.And with this switching coaches every other year we will never have a decent team.

Our lose gets laid out on the O-Line and the punter PERIOD. No blocking lead to shitty plays, you get blocking and those player work. There were ZERO holes for Hillis and Hardesty and Colt couldn't stay in the pocket for more than 2 seconds on any given pass play. I xxxxing love how every xxxxing time there is a lose it's always, Shitty coaching/fire the coach, you never think that the players need to execute.

Stop the whining. It was a disappointing loss, Developing a winning team is a journey. But the Browns are on the right track.

But with injuries, AND a new coaching staff AND an entirely new system on offense and defense, AND the rain, AND a division opponent

that is desperate to get off the bottom AND an offensive line with a NEW RT and a ROOKIE at LG....

and a ROOKIE in his first game...

seriously. Take a chill pill, some of you guys, and have some fun with watching the improvement in the next few weeks.

I say, the glass is half full, and in a few weeks, it will be 3/4 to 7/8 full.

and, THIS glass doesn't leak.

Our lose gets laid out on the O-Line and the punter PERIOD. No blocking lead to shitty plays, you get blocking and those player work. There were ZERO holes for Hillis and Hardesty and Colt couldn't stay in the pocket for more than 2 seconds on any given pass play. I xxxxing love how every xxxxing time there is a lose it's always, Shitty coaching/fire the coach, you never think that the players need to execute.

I'll give Sheard a pair of goat horns in addition- it looked like the Bengals were running Benson to his side all day, with tremendous success.

Other than that, I totally agree with your post. Taylor played really well for his first game. Hayden was outstanding- discounting the busted play, he held AJ Green to no catches. Jackson's play was a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, it was one game. Now if we go 0-4 and look this bad against the Titans, I'd expect the screaming to be deafening.

Archived