THE BROWNS BOARD

Are Fans Starting To Jump Ship?

Soju

Now I'm being serious.

This constant losing over the past 12 years has affected people in different ways. For some people it doesn't matter, and they'll always say it's a process, or it takes time, or we'll get better.

Still, others piss and moan and berate the fact our team is a perennial loser with no direction and no talent. And it's true, our team just doesn't have the same level of talent as other teams, and hasn't since we came back in the league.

Which side are you on?

I'm in the latter group.

I've been reading the Plain Dealer article's online and the comments that came afterward, and I feel there is something in the air about this team....this year...something is different. Fans are truly, genuinely, ready to give up on the Cleveland Browns. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, but even I am starting to weigh the possibility of cutting the lawn or going shopping instead of watching the game, when in past years that would have been out of the question.

I just don't think fans are getting a fair shake.

You really have to ask yourself, were you "really" that upset when we lost, or did you just sort of accept it with an, "eh.." "Oh well," sort of attitude.

If you did, you are probably starting to move on from your emotional attachment to this team. And if this goes on for a decade more, or perhaps less, we may be on the same fan dedication level as the Jacksonville Jaguars or Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans.

I'm serious, it's moving in that direction.

Honestly, I was pretty pissed off that we lost. We played a Cinci team that supposedly didn't deserve to field a roster this season. Our OLine was terrible, our defense fell asleep during the most important part of the game. We lost a game we were winning in the 4th quarter. McCoy looked like a typical Browns QB.

The only good thing about our loss is that numerous 'good' teams lost to crappy teams yesterday. If they didn't lose to crappy teams, at least they lost (Pissburgh).

I'll admit it. Once that disaster started yesterday I thought oh well it's the browns what else did you expect. The excitement of a new season was fun while it lasted. If you became a browns fan with the return the last 12 years have been bad. If you've been a browns fan for the last 40 years it's been horrible. Yes the last 12 years have been bad but add 3 dormant years with mediocrity before that and the 80's where a loooooong time ago.

It's so rare to run into another browns fan. If you do it's a rarity and what you have in common is usually fan misery and disappointment.

Ill most likely always be a browns fan but the days of being emotionally attached to this team long gone. There are just so many other things I could be doing.

I won't be going to any games unless the tickets are cheap and I am already around Cleveland.

Fact of the matter is that they need to start throwing money at people to bring the talent in. This whole mess starts and ends with the quality of players we have.

Our WRs are weak and slow - Massaquoi was wide open but just too slow to catch the long ball late in the game. McCoy showed his worst yesterday. It was the first time I thought "This guy has a noodle arm". He was great at getting around the pocket and avoiding the rush, but he isn't Mike Vick and the OLine was TERRIBLE. If anything, Cleveland might win 3 games this year and I think they will be lucky to do that.

How in the hell does McCoy have a noodle arm? He threw several long balls yesterday that were good. You get him a better O-Line and he completes 10 more passes. That game yesterday made me sick, but lets blame the actual guilty parties instead of pinning the lose on the QB who couldn't stand in the pocket for more than a second.

I think the team needs to be on the same page. This was a very short off season with the lock out. Our left side on the oline is missing steinbach, didn't think it would make that much of an impact until yesterday. Colt needs a lot more time. He was deflecting some sacks, but he needs more time. The run defense was horrible against Benson. Our back field played decent. The only long ball that we weren't all over is the pass ty AJ Green. The only reason Haden wasn't all over that is because, for some damn reason, the d was still in a huddle (pretty pissed about that). IMO, Haden and Ward are still beast! They will be stars and continue to shine! I'm not giving up on this team yet, I think we have the right people in the front office, but they do need to fork up the money for more talent.

I'll never, ever, give up on the Browns. I'll always root for them and never jump ship.

But with that being said, I will be as harsh a critic as I want after supporting this team. I was sorely disappointed yesterday. We got a glimpse of Same Old Browns with the penalties, a glimmer of what the Browns can be in the 2nd and some 3rd quarter, and finally more of the same old Browns blowing a lead at the end of the game.

It's crushing and hard to look forward to the next game. I'll be getting excited though, once the depression subsides a little.

Yea, I will personally never jump ship. I honestly couldn't imagine rooting for another team after vesting so damn much into the browns. But as others have said, by around week 11-12 when we inevitably suck I'm not hitting up the bars glued to the TV like I will be the first 5-6 weeks of the season. I'm sure i'd still watch if I got the game, but being an out of town guy I'd much rather sit and home and drink watching a gamecast or crap internet feed then pay double in a bar just to see a losing product. It's only week one though guys, it's hard to be optimistic but i'm not sure what everyone expected. A new HC, rookies at several positions and about a month to get it all together. That doesn't spell out a 12-4 season. It sucks to keep saying this but we have to be patient and let these guys actually have time to play together before we put the paper bags on our heads.

I think the team needs to be on the same page. This was a very short off season with the lock out. Our left side on the oline is missing steinbach, didn't think it would make that much of an impact until yesterday. Colt needs a lot more time. He was deflecting some sacks, but he needs more time. The run defense was horrible against Benson. Our back field played decent. The only long ball that we weren't all over is the pass ty AJ Green. The only reason Haden wasn't all over that is because, for some damn reason, the d was still in a huddle (pretty pissed about that). IMO, Haden and Ward are still beast! They will be stars and continue to shine! I'm not giving up on this team yet, I think we have the right people in the front office, but they do need to fork up the money for more talent.

Ward played like shit yesterday. He is the reason Bensen scored on that 39 yard TD run because he was 20 yards out of position and he got burnt all day by that TE. The part of our run defense that sucked were our DE's and OLB, our inside DT's and MLB played a fantastic game. Anything ran from the OT on out was a guaranteed 4 yards or more.

REAL BROWNS FANS DON'T JUMP SHIP.

That's for other teams' fans who want to go root for whatever team wins a superbowl.

The rest of us will ride the ride, and have fun along the journey, to the superbowl.

Some of you will become a fan of an already winning team.

Exactly like "immediate gratification WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

I'll never jump ship, but when we suck I'm more likely to just tape the game on the dvr and watch it later minus the commercial breaks.

I was so much looking forward to watching the Browns opener. Found myself thinking at random times all week about the game. I usually take my daughter to all her soccer games and watch her play, but this time told the wife she was on duty.

So by the end of the first quarter I'm swearing at the tv, saying things like "new season, same old Browns". I don't know how you folks who travel to every game keep doing it.

Then worst part was seeing the team make so many mistakes and penalties. Generally, undisciplined teams, are poorly coached teams. Now it is too early to say Shurmer sucks, but that was not a good start. I was not one of the ones who wanted to fire Mangini and start over again, (how many winning organizations fire the coach and GM every few years?) but it is worth noting that under Mangini we were one of the least penalized teams. I wonder what might have been had Mangini been given a guy like Shurmer to install a real offense? Why did Mangini have so many older players on the roster? I think it was the pressure to win right away, not knowing he had a few years to build something.

I wonder if we are under the spell of "in Holmgren we trust". We know how "in Phil we trust" worked out.

I'm not giving up. We are at least assembling some decent young talent on this team, Heckert seems to know what he is doing. But I don't understand why we have a Mike Holmgren in the front office instead of on the sideline coaching the team. That is what he does best.

Let them jump ship. I could care less honestly. I said this in one of my very first posts almost 3 years ago and it still holds true today. Anyone can root for a team when they are good, but how many stick with them when they are bad? When the Browns finally reach the top, I know that I will drop to my knees and cry because of the emotional roller coaster it will have been. Nothing will be more satisfying though.

Let them jump ship. I could care less honestly. I said this in one of my very first posts almost 3 years ago and it still holds true today. Anyone can root for a team when they are good, but how many stick with them when they are bad? When the Browns finally reach the top, I know that I will drop to my knees and cry because of the emotional roller coaster it will have been. Nothing will be more satisfying though.

Perfectly stated! I remember how angry I was having to work & miss part of the 1964 Championship game & I am still a loyal Brown's Fan. After all this Team & we Fans have been through, the winning will be that much sweeter. The casual "jump on a winner's bandwagon" fan will NEVER experience the joy we will.

Thank you for a perfect reply.

Mike

I will never jump ship on the browns, but yesterday when Colt opened up the game with a completed pass to himself, I turned and looked at my dad n said "only the browns could start the year off that way" we must have laughed for 20 mins straight. Fans dont jump ship tho seriously

Our OLine was terrible, our defense fell asleep during the most important part of the game.

Just think, you'll probably get your swagger back after playing the colts. Any team in the nfl, and probably most college teams will beat the colts right now. They are horrifically bad. Enjoy your win next week.

If you don't want to be a fan anymore then don't! That's your decision. I'm sick of crybaby fans anyway. In the NFL (except for tiebrakers) it doesn't matter who beats who. A win is a win, and a loss is a loss. We are 0-1, but so are 5 playoff teams from last year: steelers, colts, chiefs, saints, falcons, and the seahawks. Sure yesterday was awful. But it was just 1 game out of 16. The Browns are a very young team which means we will lose some we shouldn't, but we will also win some we shouldn't. At the end of the year, we will still be somewhere near 8-8 overall, and will get 2 more first round picks to help turn this team into a contender. And if Atlanta keeps playing like they did yesterday, the browns are going to get 2 very good 1st rounders!

This would be the worst time in that last 30 years to jump ship!

I love to laugh and make fun of the idiots here who predict the same impossible things week in and week out, year in and year out.......and the idiots who buy in to it. But for the first time in a very long time there is the foundation of system in place.

Now would be the worst time to jump ship......just don't expect things to happen overnight.....sit back, look for small things like a coach who has control, players playing for the team rather than themselves, schemes that make the best of the talent on the field while a "style" is being developed, small improvement in key areas, etc

Stop listening to the cheerleaders....stop watching the scoreboard......and stop believing that "it's your turn".......the NFL doesn't give turns. Formerly Sane

Really solid post of several !

I have to admit I was surprised at my own reaction of "Oh well... The Browns lose again" especially on opening day...

But I want more then anything to see them be winners. It just has to happen.... I don't believe in a curse or any of that non-sense... Someday...someday... hopefully I will see it happen.

I remember a certain team in 2007 that lost to a division rival 34-7 and went on to lose two more games after that and they screamed mutiny too. Then that same certain team went on to a 10-6 record and narrowly missed the playoffs. All the screams for mutiny were silenced at least for a season. So all this I'm jumping ship stuff...feel free...we'll see you when we're 10-6 or 11-5. I'm not a clairvoyant so I can't say the same will happen this season as it did in 07 but my point is we have a very fickle fan base especially considering how many times the reset button has been hit. I feel like I'm playing my cousin in Tecmo Bowl sometimes when discussing football with some of you. Things not going so well let's quit or hit the reset button again. Jim Fassel once said "If you want in...get in. If you want out....get out. Kay?"

I remember a certain team in 2007 that lost to a division rival 34-7 and went on to lose two more games after that and they screamed mutiny too. Then that same certain team went on to a 10-6 record and narrowly missed the playoffs. All the screams for mutiny were silenced at least for a season. So all this I'm jumping ship stuff...feel free...we'll see you when we're 10-6 or 11-5. I'm not a clairvoyant so I can't say the same will happen this season as it did in 07 but my point is we have a very fickle fan base especially considering how many times the reset button has been hit. I feel like I'm playing my cousin in Tecmo Bowl sometimes when discussing football with some of you. Things not going so well let's quit or hit the reset button again. Jim Fassel once said "If you want in...get in. If you want out....get out. Kay?"

You're right about the team that lost 34-7 on opening day...the difference is that team lost to the Steelers on opening day, not a team picked to finish near the bottom of the league. However, that 2007 team came back the very next week and beat Cincinatti 51-41 and that was the start of a fun season (until Anderception showed up in Cincy in December). I'm not jumping ship yet, but the Colts looked HORRIFIC yesterday and we should win this game. We lose to them, we may as well start thinking about who we take in the top 5 of next years draft and I'll start debating whether I'm even going to go to the game when I'm in Cleveland in November.

It's not so much that we lost the first one of 16...it's the way it was lost. The first quarter looked like a pee wee football team out there. We were lucky to stil be in the game. Baltimore or Pittsburth (despite how shitty they looked yesterday) would've put up 21 on us in the first quarter and won by 30.

You're right about the team that lost 34-7 on opening day...the difference is that team lost to the Steelers on opening day, not a team picked to finish near the bottom of the league. However, that 2007 team came back the very next week and beat Cincinatti 51-41 and that was the start of a fun season (until Anderception showed up in Cincy in December). I'm not jumping ship yet, but the Colts looked HORRIFIC yesterday and we should win this game. We lose to them, we may as well start thinking about who we take in the top 5 of next years draft and I'll start debating whether I'm even going to go to the game when I'm in Cleveland in November.

It's not so much that we lost the first one of 16...it's the way it was lost. The first quarter looked like a pee wee football team out there. We were lucky to stil be in the game. Baltimore or Pittsburth (despite how shitty they looked yesterday) would've put up 21 on us in the first quarter and won by 30.

Gotta agree with you on the Baltimore/Pittsburgh thing. "Anderception" LMAO...that will never get old and I remember that from like the 08-09 campaign. I feel ya man seriously I do. But damn can we commit to one front office, to one coaching staff, and to a group of players until this thing takes a significant turn for the better? The whole starting over after a season or two...not gonna fly. Championship teams are not built like that. I think wise spending in free agency is a good thing the best example of a bottom feeding team turned to gold is the New Orleans Saints. They did it by wisely spending in free agency and drafting well. Not spending at all I agree not the wisest of decisions but that train left the station months ago. Maybe if this continues this year (preferably not)this new FO and coaching staff will take a shot at free agency. Even if this season is a success...there's still a lot of room for improvement. But the interchange of management and coaching will only add to the woes just as it has these last 12 years.

Where does this jump ship crap come from? You either did along time ago or you never will! These fans aren't going anywhere, their falling back into reality. I wouldn't dare pencil in a win for any Browns team for the past decade, but I have certain amount of expectations. Well lets just say they were too high. Who knew fielding a defense before the other team snaps the ball was reaching too far?

Seriously, that was unacceptable. I watched almost every game to some capacity. There were rookie coaches and players, lockout rust, miscommunication, etc. in many games, but the Browns didn't even look like a NFL team at times. That I will not accept as a fan.

If I can't expect basic professional coaching ability, what can I expect? This dude is supposed to be the missing link to the best system we've ever had and he starts out looking worse than Josh FCCKING McDaniels. Yeah, I know they'll get better, I mean how can't they? Yeah, the season ain't over yet, but this FO can't send us to a worse record with THEIR guys and have fantastical ideas that we will be happy with this crap. A few more weeks of that and it will be a long climb back to respectability.

This would be the worst time in that last 30 years to jump ship!

I love to laugh and make fun of the idiots here who predict the same impossible things week in and week out, year in and year out.......and the idiots who buy in to it. But for the first time in a very long time there is the foundation of system in place.

Now would be the worst time to jump ship......just don't expect things to happen overnight.....sit back, look for small things like a coach who has control, players playing for the team rather than themselves, schemes that make the best of the talent on the field while a "style" is being developed, small improvement in key areas, etc

Stop listening to the cheerleaders....stop watching the scoreboard......and stop believing that "it's your turn".......the NFL doesn't give turns.

Ghoolie's been blowing smoke, but there has been incremental progress. Two years ago I said the Browns didn't have a defensive player that could start for the Steelers, and now there's several, Joe Haden being the most notable. There's a philosophy where we want to go, and the last two drafts have been solid. Unfortunately it may take a couple more. And to the jump shippers- to win it all, you not only have to be good, sometimes a little (or a lot) of luck comes into play. You replay Super Bowl XLII 100 times, and I say the Patriots beat the Giants 90% of the time. The young 'uns wouldn't remember, but us old timers do- when the Browns won their Championship in 1964, they were huge underdogs.

I haven't jumped ship--my heart will always be with the Browns. I was pissed off after Sundays' debacle--but I wasn't the least bit surprised. I was watching the game w/my brother-in-law, who is a Steelers fan and down in the dumps over their game. With 6 minutes left he said, "You're doing OK--you're up 17-13". Without thinking I said "Yeah, but when there are 2 minutes left in the game we'll be down 20-17 and throwing 3 yard passes on 3rd and 8." I'm like a lot of other posters--I love the Browns but the games are starting to mean less and less emotionally. My wife asked me 3 years ago how I can continuously watch a team that has sucked so bad for so long. I gave her the stock answer--"It's a Cleveland thing."

[b

Ghoolie's been blowing smoke, but there has been incremental progress. Two years ago I said the Browns didn't have a defensive player that could start for the Steelers, and now there's several, Joe Haden being the most notable. There's a philosophy where we want to go, and the last two drafts have been solid. Unfortunately it may take a couple more. And to the jump shippers- to win it all, you not only have to be good, sometimes a little (or a lot) of luck comes into play. You replay Super Bowl XLII 100 times, and I say the Patriots beat the Giants 90% of the time. The young 'uns wouldn't remember, but us old timers do- when the Browns won their Championship in 1964, they were huge underdogs.

Ghoolie's been blowing smoke lol yes is an understatement. But his fundamental arguement is spot on, and your guys explanation/comeback for his argument is exactly right as well.

Ghoolie in a nut shell is saying: We have a major lack n talent across the board on our team

Which is absolutely true...notice across the board...sure we have a few exceptional players, but majority not good enough

What your saying along with a lot others is: It takes time, we have a new coaching staff, new system we all just have to be patient for a few more years n build through the draft n FA market.

Thats very true as well

All n all we've had since 1999 to bulid through the draft n FA market and havent done soo...yes its frustrating as hell...we always have "new coaches" "new system" "new ideas" im tired of holding on the these "new" things as hope that a few years down the road it will work out. And maybe this time it will! God knows we're all hoping. Lets get rid of the hoping and put some talented players out on the field and give us a chance to win every game and make things a lot easier on the coaching staff.

Just think, you'll probably get your swagger back after playing the colts. Any team in the nfl, and probably most college teams will beat the colts right now. They are horrifically bad. Enjoy your win next week.

Hey guy- if we can lose to the Bengals backup quarterback- we can certainly lose to yours. :) Personally, I'd at least bet heavy on the Colts to cover. Add in I will be in attendance @ the game with my better half AKA "The Curse" in tow. The story is back in 1986 during the great Browns-Jets double overtime win, when all appeared lost, the wifie prayed- "Lord if you let the Browns win this game I don't care if I ever see them win another one". Request granted. For the next 20+ years didn't matter who the Browns were playing, or what city she went to, Indy- Detroit- Cinci- KC- it was an automatic loss. A few years back we thought the Curse was broken after she saw Cleveland beat- none other than- the Jets. However, she's been 0-fer since, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Archived