THE BROWNS BOARD

Did Shurmur Call A Different Offensive Game In The 2Nd Half?

Soju

I think so. I think he played not to lose and to try and burn the clock up with Hillis. It took away all of the rhythm we had going with Colt and the passing game in the second quarter.

This is the number 1 thing I hate about OC's, or in this case, a HC that calls the offensive plays (which for a rookie coach is astoundingly stupid given he has enough on his plate to begin with.)

When you think of teams like the Colts and Pittspuke, do they let off the gas? No they continue to throw and go down field even in thru the 4th quarter.

This playing not to lose mentality will backfire every time. Why keep giving the other team more chances while keeping your score stuck on whatever it was at halftime. It makes no sense!

We need the killer instinct. Our defense is not that good yet to play not to lose, we need to keep firing it down field and continue to be aggressive till the end.

I could feel, couldn't you? When we had our first offensive series after halftime. They were slowing the ball down and trying to eat the clock up.

I said to myself, well, that's it. We essentially got to watch one half of entertaining, high flying football, and now it's time to watch paint dry with this slow, drawn out play during this next half.

What a rip off.

I felt like he went into his shell way too early. As the game was slipping away in the 4th, he also seemed to fall in love with the 2-yard pass route. Was he trying to compensate for the fact that everyone on the line not named "Thomas" or "Mack" just stunk it up? I have no clue.

I agree that the defense is not of the caliber to be able to nurse a lead to victory.

I think that the problem with criticizing play-calling though is that (same old tune....wait for it...) if the players don't execute, it doesn't matter what the play call is. Shurmur did not seem in rhythm for much of the game. I'll give you that. I think it just fits with the overall lack of discipline and organization that caught my eye yesterday.

I don't think Shurmur was trying to nurse the lead. His strategy was to score more points like any other offensive coach would try to do. Was he effective? No, but I promise you he wasn't content with a 4 point lead. He's not Jim Tressel.

OP,You have a problem with him running HILLIS? Since when is trying to run the ball with Hillis a bad strategy? Other fans (myself included) thought Hillis should have gotten the rock more. The goaline where we settled for a field goal was a disgrace. We should have run on 2nd and 3rd down to stuff it in. Even if he doesn't score in two more attempts, it will prolly be 4 and inches from the goaline where would have likely scored a td.

The problem was the offensive strategy and the punt team (McGee) sucking it up so badly in the first quarter, we were trailing 13-0 before we knew what hit us. Shurmur wants to pass to set up the run, which is a good strategy, but it backfired yesterday. If we would have ground and pounded Hillis, there's no way Cinci gets such good field position and such an early lead.

Colt McCoy had 40 pass attempts. This is about 10-12 too many. It's no secret we don't have the weapons to be slinging it on every down.

Hillis gives you short yardage situation to open up your playbook and move the chains with two yard crossing patterns and short dump offs to tight ends.

I have a big problem with you coming on here and blaming the coach for running the ball to Hillis who is our most valuable player on offense. How else do you plan to sustain drives? Passes to Robiskie and NO mass?

I felt like he went into his shell way too early. As the game was slipping away in the 4th, he also seemed to fall in love with the 2-yard pass route. Was he trying to compensate for the fact that everyone on the line not named "Thomas" or "Mack" just stunk it up? I have no clue.

I agree that the defense is not of the caliber to be able to nurse a lead to victory.

I think that the problem with criticizing play-calling though is that (same old tune....wait for it...) if the players don't execute, it doesn't matter what the play call is. Shurmur did not seem in rhythm for much of the game. I'll give you that. I think it just fits with the overall lack of discipline and organization that caught my eye yesterday.

Hey Earl great to see you back and posting again.

I'm really hoping this was a lot of first game jitters as a head coach. Our defense may not be great, but they did seems to step it up during the third quarter. I'm still shaking my head over the easiest, most pathetic touchdown I've ever seen in football. It is a shame that we couldn't get any rhythm offensively. The O-line stunk. period.

Looking forward to 'the anatomy of a play' if you still plan on doing those posts. They were my favorite read of the week.

I like to call it on the job training, for players and coaches alike..

Its just what happens when your team has new coaches,a bunch of new players and a complete system conversion, all with less than a month to put it together complements of the nfl owners, the good news is minus injuries it should get better as the season rolls on with the 5 last games being a monumental test of progress for the browns ..

Archived