THE BROWNS BOARD

Cin At Cle Or How To Lose In The 4Th Quarter

Dick Mellon

There was 4:22 left in the game.

CLE gets the ball down by 3 points.

CLE has all 3 timeouts.

Proper game and clock management would have the Browns move the ball down the field while running-down the clock.

The goal would be to score at least 3, while leaving CIN with no time.

This can be accomplished with an effective running game.

Shurmer’s play calling over the next three possessions:

1. PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, PUNT.

2. PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, (ball over on downs).

3. PASS, PASS, PASS, RUN (4th and inches) PASS - INT.

Mr. Shurmer's neglect of the running game will lead to many, many more 4th quarter loses as the season wears on.

Mr. Shurmer inherited a run-first-ball-control offense with a 1000 yard rusher, then promptly abandoned the run, calling 47 pass plays in week one.

Let's look at the Bengal's play calling for their last two drives:

1. RUN, RUN, RUN, PUNT.

2. RUN, RUN, RUN - TD.

CIN understands clock and game management.

CLE does not.

CIN won that game in the 4th Quarter.

CLE called 12 passing plays in wet conditions, resulting in 2 completions, a punt, an over-on-downs, and an interception.

On opening weekend last week there were more passing yards thrown than any other weekend ever. It's a passing league now!

It is a passing league. Therefore we should have a decent receiver now, not one that could be good. The wr core we have are just plain junk.

Did cincy take the lead in the 4th because of there (SIC "their) run game? No.

CIN took the lead due to an error made by the CLE Defense.

However, aside from that striking, embarrassing error, CLE played average Defense.

One mistake on Defense is forgivable compared to Mr. Shurmer making the same mistake 12 times in a row:

PASS,

PASS,

PASS,

PASS,

PASS

PASS.

PASS,

PASS,

PASS,

PASS,

PASS,

PASS.

. . . . .If CIN had executed 12 plays from scrimmage while CLE was still in the huddle, I would consider that an issue as well.

But that error on "D" happened once.

CLE was down by 3.

Plenty of time on the clock.

All three timeouts.

CLE had the ball three times.

3 points is not alotta points to make-up in three possessions of the ball against a CIN Defense.

So, that is the difference between a single, incidental, aggravating screw-up on Defense, and a coach that does not know how to clock-manage / game-manage / and play-call on Offense.

Come on guys. Even Shurmur said he made some mistakes. Give the man a chance to coach a few more before we break out the pitch forks and torches. The pressure off the edges is a concern this Sunday...we are all aware of that...let's see how the man responds. If we've thrown the ball 20 times by the end of the first half...I'll really start to question the guy. It was the first game...fielded a ton of rookies...and didn't play the one that everyone wants to find out about (Greg Little). I think he'll make some plays but I'm with you guys that say we need some receivers. Someone to compliment him and he'll probably improve more and more. Rather we do that through the draft or we go to the emporium (FA) it really makes no difference. No question about it fellas 40 pass attempts with a premier rusher screams going to the well way too many times.

It was a common complaint by Rams fans (where Shurmur was OC), that he didn't run Steven Jackson enough, there were a number of games where he'd only have 10 total carries or so.

While I think the Browns lost due to horrible field position in the 1st quarter from shanked punts, and then the Bengals snap while the Browns were still huddled, I agree about the clock management.

given there were so many incompletions, it stopped the clock each time and gave more time to the Bengals to come back, where as if it were more pass/run balanced the clock would have kept rolling, then in the 4th(maybe it was in the 3rd, I was so sickened I don't remember) before the huddle blunder happened, all they'd have to do is run the ball.

as a side note I don't see how Mellon is anything like Ghoolie, I haven't seen Mellon post like a 13 year old calling everyone childish remarks over their opinion, not that I get offended by anything Ghoolie says anyway.

It was tough to not see the run game get going, but our offensive line sadly has taken a step back since last year. All I can say for tomorrow is if Peyton doesn't see 25+ carries i might drive to cleveland myself and start raging haha. That Colts run D is so vulnerable to the run I think I could score a few TD's on it

Archived