THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs Is Not A Wr

beefjerky

I fully expected the Browns to win this game but Cribbs is simply not a WR. the coaching staff is wasting his talents by not utilizing him correctly. when he runs deep and has to slow down to catch a long ball, that isn't his best skill at all and he's not good at that. I remember plenty of posters mentioned how Cribbs is best facing the action, not having to look back.

Listen to every commentator out there always comment about how Cribbs has that rare combination of "speed, size, quickness", like Rich Gannon said in the game.

he needs to be played the way Bush was played, the way Sproles is played now on the Saints. that is, giving him a screen pass with room to run and he'll get a big yardage gain every now and then, giving him an occasional carry as well. list him as a WR as you want, but that's the way he should be utilized, he is not a deep ball WR, he's not a red zone threat guy, so what you wanna do is give him space to run, block for him, and he will juke as many defenders as possible for a potential huge gain, or even breakaway for a TD.

besides that qualm of mine, and some occasional poor play calling(no runs on 3rd and 1 for hillis but marecic who blows it?), great Browns win :D. I especially liked the way the defense played besides letting Addai run all over them for a period of time. I also hope Little starts full time with Massaquoi now as he seems to be doing well, I was high on him the day they drafted Little so there should be no reason why he shouldn't be starting over Robiskie(was Robiskie even in the game? anyone know? I didn't see his number or his name called).

Back to Cleveland vs Miami they go.

3 catches for 40 yards, not bad for the listed 3rd WR. Also if Robo wants to do anything in this league he is going to have to put on 30-40 pounds and switch to TE. Also don't agree with Marecic carring the ball on 3rd and short, he only had a 2.0 yard per carry average in college, he is not a short yardage option, almost as stupid as giving the ball to Hardesty in the redzone.

Overall good game though.

3 catches for 40 yards, not bad for the listed 3rd WR. Also if Robo wants to do anything in this league he is going to have to put on 30-40 pounds and switch to TE. Also don't agree with Marecic carring the ball on 3rd and short, he only had a 2.0 yard per carry average in college, he is not a short yardage option, almost as stupid as giving the ball to Hardesty in the redzone.

don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's not capable of being a WR, but he would produce way more in a Sproles type role with short screen passes, with room to run. every great team like the packers, saints, patriots, put their players in the best place for them to succeed, the browns should do the same.

look at how fast he runs on returns, all the tackles that don't bring him down, he won't be able to do that if he's constantly being lined up deep.

The hand of to Marecic brought back memories of handing of to Vickers in short yardage situations. Did it ever work? Unless Hillis was exhausted, injured, or needed a bathroom break,no way you take him out on the goal line. Marecic did seal the left end with a good block on Hillis td run Good win.....

I thought Cribbs was used effectively today. We have to have him in the game to run pass routes on some plays, otherwise, whenever he is in the game the defense will know its a screen pass.

He is not a great wide receiver in the traditional sense, but he is capable of making plays downfield. He caught a deep pass for a td from Mccoy in pre-season this year. And, just his presence causes defenses to take notice and possibly adjust their formation or coverage. This helps other guys get open.

Cribbs is a bottomline stud. I hope he has proven to Shurmur he deserves more touches and maybe they can add the WildDawg package w. josh in addition to the screen passes that they have added in the gameplan. Anyway to get this guy the ball should be welcomed because everytime he touches it he is electric and gets way more yardage than you thought was even possible to get.

We have to have him in the game to run pass routes on some plays, otherwise, whenever he is in the game the defense will know its a screen pass.

I don't think that's necessarily true, he's a good blocker and can block on a lot of plays when he's in, instead of receiving always receiving a screen pass.

Joe Thomas a season or two ago said he hoped to see Cribbs playing on running plays sometimes and that he's every bit of capable of being a full time starter at RB(I wouldn't want this, he'd get beat up too much and probably lose some of his quickness), that was before the emergence of Hillis though so he probably had more reason to say something like that.

By the way as a side note I'd like to see more deep passes called, preferably to Little cause that was his strength in college with NC. the play calling is too conservative for my liking.

He isnt the most graceful looking WR on the field and he isnt the sleekest KO return guy you will ever see and he certainly isnt an awesomely built RB like hillis nor does he have the look of a winning QB, but hey Cribbs is what he is man, he is a genuine playmaker and no matter how he touches the ball every time he does there is always the chance he will make something big and beautiful happen with it..

As far as WR skills go i have seen much worse as a matter of fact we currently have several "natural receivers" that cant do what josh does and that even includes getting legit seperation..

To me cribbs looks like and is built like the ultimate safety and i have no doubt he would be the ultimate playmaker at that as well..

I fully expected the Browns to win this game but Cribbs is simply not a WR. the coaching staff is wasting his talents by not utilizing him correctly. when he runs deep and has to slow down to catch a long ball, that isn't his best skill at all and he's not good at that. I remember plenty of posters mentioned how Cribbs is best facing the action, not having to look back.

and just how exactly is this Cribbs problem?

Robiske blocked really well a few times. As I said in the tavern...we should steroid him up and make him a RT.

Right. Either they need to cut him loose, or give him something to do that he can do. I don't know if he can be converted to a TE (though we certainly have better TEs), but he is no WR. He can't get open better than I can, and I am pushing 60.

I always thought that Cribbs should be used kind of like how the Patriots use Wes Welker. Lots of screen passes and quick slants across the middle. Due to Cribbs' size difference he would be an easier target and it would be harder for DBs to tackle him.

Robiske blocked really well a few times. As I said in the tavern...we should steroid him up and make him a RT.

Right. Either they need to cut him loose, or give him something to do that he can do. I don't know if he can be converted to a TE (though we certainly have better TEs), but he is no WR. He can't get open better than I can, and I am pushing 60.

Another +1 on that one- time to call Robiski a bust, and move on. We already have a bunch of decent TEs on the roster. No way he should be taking plays away from Little, and Carlton Mitchell is way faster. The only time Slowbiski should be seeing the field is when the Browns go into a 4 WR set. He might be able to get open against a linebacker.

Two games, no catches- enough said.

I wish Robo could of turned out to be good, but he just cutting the mustard. It's sad because he does a well above average job blocking out there, but obviously that shouldn't keep you on an NFL roster. I'd like to see Robo pretty much out of the lineup in the next couple weeks and run a receivers corp of momass, little, cribbs and mitchell.

Little, Massaqoi and Cribbs need to be out there. If you want a WR that can block ... stick Evan Moore out wide ... cause he can catch too.

I thought Robo was coming around at the end of last year, but I was wrong. Let's get the actual talent on the field.

Z

Cribbs is a playmaker and a tough football player. Notice he is still on the punt coverage teams? That's leadership.

i don't care what position we use him in. If he's not involved, then he's one heckuva decoy. Defenses have to pay attention to him at all times.

A lot of players play on punt coverage and I don't think people are scared of Cribbs in the receiving capacity. As a returner sure, as a WildDawg option sure. Otherwise I don't imagine a team in the NFL is going to treat him as a #1 threat at the WR position. Teams certainly aren't going out of their way to develop schemes to stop him. He's a solid player.

I'm not arguing whether or not he should be used; he should be out on the field on most snaps.

what I'm saying is that the passes need to short screen ones because there will be several times where he will juke defenders and run past them with his speed, his ability to break tackles, for a huge gain or even 6 points. that is "facing the action" the same way he faces the action every time he returns a kickoff or punt.

when he runs a deep route he has to look back, and if he manages to get the catch, there won't be much running room, it's not nearly as efficient or effective as using him in screens and short passes.

the deep routes should be going to Greg Little, just look up his college highlights, that's all he pretty much did was catch the long ball.

Your right jerky, I know what your talking about and KGL does too. He just can't do anything but be negative, condescending and argue.

Players see the field differently based on their position. Returners and QB's both have all the action in front of them and they react to it. IMO Cribs shouldn't be used on deep routes he should be catching balls out of the backfield or in the flats.

A lot of players play on punt coverage and I don't think people are scared of Cribbs in the receiving capacity. As a returner sure, as a WildDawg option sure. Otherwise I don't imagine a team in the NFL is going to treat him as a #1 threat at the WR position. Teams certainly aren't going out of their way to develop schemes to stop him. He's a solid player.

Since Cribbs is only listed as the #3 receiver on the depth chart, of course he is not going to be treated as a #1 receiver. What he is is a "specialty player". A guy that you just give the ball to and see what he can do. On special team sure, he is the return guy. On offense he is a hybrid. He could line up in the backfield, or in the slot or at wideout, or anywhere in between. If he could handle the ball 6-8 times a game in the offense that is doing well.

hahaha I knew this thread would have that happen, albeit I don't mind since the Browns won on it, but I still haven't changed my mind. I want to see Little in that spot Cribbs was at where he made the big time catch, cause he made lots of those in college.

guys he makes that catch maybe 30-35% of the time, we can get more efficiency using him on shorter routes.

I was watching the Saints Texans game on the side and I keep saying it, but the way they used Sproles was simply perfect:

2 rushes 35 yards, 1TD

6 receptions 50 yards, but most of these were YAC on short passes(what Cribbs would excel at).

That sort of efficiency is better than :

3 receptions 49 yards, 1TD

I'm very glad he made that catch but it doesn't change my logic just because of one big play(I highly doubt he does that on a consistent basis), Sean Payton is one of the best offensive minds in the NFL(he's the HC but also serves as OC, Shurmur does the same here), you never saw him sending Bush or now Sproles on deep routes, cause he knows it's not nearly as efficient even if it'd work sometimes.

Someone mentioned using him like NE uses Welker would be good as well, and I agree with that, anything is better than constantly running him deep.

so you THINK he'd be better in another role. great....maybe he would. but your using comparisons of some of the best in the league. poor argument imo.....

I'm almost positive he'd be better in another role, when he got some direct snaps last year and maybe the year before, he'd run for a solid or large gain half the time, so I'm pretty sure that translates when mccoy passes him a screen pass(it also would apply attention to cribbs near by, opening up others).

I'm almost positive he'd be better in another role, when he got some direct snaps last year and maybe the year before, he'd run for a solid or large gain half the time, so I'm pretty sure that translates when mccoy passes him a screen pass(it also would apply attention to cribbs near by, opening up others).

Exactly, Cribbs should probably be thrown those "bubble screens" 3-4 times a game. Get him out into open space and see what he can do. Its probable that on half of them he will only get a yard or two, but then on the other half he can get 15-20 yards, if not more. Plus the occasional downfield throw like yesterday's TD.

Archived