THE BROWNS BOARD

What's Going On With Peyton Hillis?

Soju

Besides that burst at th end of the game, he has not impressed me in the slightest.

The Colts don't have a good rushing D, and they contained him pretty easily. Every rushing attempt for him today practically was for either 2 or 3 yards--unlike the chucks of 7-8 yards he got last season. And throw in that fumble he had, and this guy is starting to scare me a bit.

What's going on with him?

Is it a case of a one-hit wonder?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides that burst at th end of the game, he has not impressed me in the slightest.

The Colts don't have a good rushing D, and they contained him pretty easily. Every rushing attempt for him today practically was for either 2 or 3 yards--unlike the chucks of 7-8 yards he got last season. And throw in that fumble he had, and this guy is starting to scare me a bit.

Your one hit wonder had 94 yards, and two TDds. Calm down.

Your one hit wonder had 94 yards, and two TDds. Calm down.

Ok, I get that, but he was doing that last year, too. I'm not concerned about his catches, I'm worried about his running. I want to see him with an average of 4-4.5 yards per carry at the end of the game, not 3.5.

I think Hillis is just REALLY missing Steinbach. Our bread and butter was runs to the left side last year and without Steinbach pulling our run game is just not getting anywhere. It's frustrating to us and to Hillis.. you can just see it on his face during the games. Lets give Peyton a chance to get rolling. I know he didn't blow anyone away today, but I have faith in our Madden coverboy.

are u freaking kidding me? 94 yards 2 td's and over 30 yards receiving playing on one of the most NON-EXPLOSIVE and slowest offenses in the league. Not to mention not having one single solitary hole to run through all game, plus being game planned heavily by every opponent we face.

Don't give me the horseshit about his yards per carry. The dude earned every single yard he gained all day. I challenege any other back in the league to outperform Hillis today going against the non-existent holes Hillis had to run through all day.

After Hillis' outstanding success last year, defenses are trying to game plan to stop him.

He's been tackled a few times, when he never had the ball.

Steinbach was greatly under-appraised by a few folks around here. Pinkston is a rookie,

and ended up on his arse a few times, and got manhandled a few other times.

I don't know if Cousins played at RT, but Hicks didn't do TOO bad of a job, but

he isn't the answer at RT. He just went in and did his best against a fast DE every play.

Pinkston doesn't get much push on the line, and Lauvao sp>? had trouble with agile speed rushers.

And Hillis STILL nearly got a hundred yards and two TD's.

Goodness. Three guys on the oline will have growing pains, hopefully they keep improving.

I thought it was an outstanding effort by Hillis. The line is not opening holes for the running backs. But you can't question his effort. Peyton brought his lunch pale to work today. We would not have won without him.

Ah yeah, 94 WHOPPING yards in 27 carries? Against a weak team? Yes, he is a regular HOF er waiting to happen. 3.5 yards per carry, in an era when running the football is easier than in Browns day.

Hillis is good, not great. We need a runner like Mendenhall or Addai.

You mean the same weak team that hasnt missed the playoffs in the last what, 8 or so years?

It's funny how you think you would make a better coach/player then anyone in the NFL. Keep rooting for the squeelers chubby.

Ah yeah, 94 WHOPPING yards in 27 carries? Against a weak team? Yes, he is a regular HOF er waiting to happen. 3.5 yards per carry, in an era when running the football is easier than in Browns day.

Honestly dude Hillis is better then both of those guys ... And he is way better then Addai. Better on his worst day then Addai on his best day.

I think Hillis is just REALLY missing Steinbach.

steinbach and vickers.

can't knock his production today. it might not be pretty but he got it done. we still need to work in hardesty more. if hillis doesn't get some help in the backfield i don't know if he can last the whole season. i don't think anyone could with his upright takin and givin hits style of running. example: jacobs from the giants (only guy i could think of off the top if my head).

You mean the same weak team that hasnt missed the playoffs in the last what, 8 or so years?

It's funny how you think you would make a better coach/player then anyone in the NFL. Keep rooting for the squeelers chubby.

I've been staying out of this sh.it show but here you are pulling me back in to the ring. I didn't get to watch the game but I did see the highlights and I did get to watch the Colts week 1. The Colts without Peyton Manning are far from a playoff team. The Colts without Peyton Manning are immediately in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes with Kansas City assuming Manning doesn't recover. If he does they're still selecting inside the top 5 and I'd argue the top two. A win is most certainly a win and you take them with a smile no matter what. However to IMPLY that the Colts hitting the field now are the same colts that haven't missed the playoffs in 8 years is so xxxxing dumb it gives me a stomach ache. Manning hid A LOT of the glaring problems with that roster. No manning neuters Reggie Wayne and all those "above average" receivers after Wayne are immediately average outside of Dallas Clark. You take the win this week but I wouldn't parade around celebrating it. Just like I'm not running around celebrating the shutout against the Seahawks. Last I checked the Steelers got murdered week 1. Take the win and move on, a one legged cripple could beat a Kerry Collins lead Colts team.

I've been staying out of this sh.it show but here you are pulling me back in to the ring. I didn't get to watch the game but I did see the highlights and I did get to watch the Colts week 1. The Colts without Peyton Manning are far from a playoff team. The Colts without Peyton Manning are immediately in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes with Kansas City assuming Manning doesn't recover. If he does they're still selecting inside the top 5 and I'd argue the top two. A win is most certainly a win and you take them with a smile no matter what. However to IMPLY that the Colts hitting the field now are the same colts that haven't missed the playoffs in 8 years is so xxxxing dumb it gives me a stomach ache. Manning hid A LOT of the glaring problems with that roster. No manning neuters Reggie Wayne and all those "above average" receivers after Wayne are immediately average outside of Dallas Clark. You take the win this week but I wouldn't parade around celebrating it. Just like I'm not running around celebrating the shutout against the Seahawks. Last I checked the Steelers got murdered week 1. Take the win and move on, a one legged cripple could beat a Kerry Collins lead Colts team.

Its more of a reaction to Ghoolie. He's a Steelers fan and therefore not too bright. I'm sure you understand!

In the end though I do agree with you. The Colts flat out suck, but a win is a win and I will enjoy it.

Ok, I get that, but he was doing that last year, too. I'm not concerned about his catches, I'm worried about his running. I want to see him with an average of 4-4.5 yards per carry at the end of the game, not 3.5.

3.5 yards per carry may not be pretty but it can add up to a lot of first downs.

Very Simple...

Since the Browns gagged on getting any wide-out help via free agency or drafting anyone...There is no threat down-field..Defenses just crowd the box and wait for Hillis to get the ball...Not really rocket science. If they would hve drafted Julion (down by the schoolyard) Jones, it would have helped Hillis...One dimensional offense is what we have here, and here in lies the problem for Peyton.

Very Simple...

Since the Browns gagged on getting any wide-out help via free agency or drafting anyone...There is no threat down-field..Defenses just crowd the box and wait for Hillis to get the ball...Not really rocket science. If they would hve drafted Julion (down by the schoolyard) Jones, it would have helped Hillis...One dimensional offense is what we have here, and here in lies the problem for Peyton.

They drafted Little he's a wide receiver. And, it's Julio not Julion.

It's a typo numbnuts...did you ever hear of Julion down by the schoolyard?..

Sheeesh!

and yeah...Little just puts the fear of GOD into DB's...

c'mon dude

Cause getting two good DT and WR out of the deal was sooooo shitty. You draft Julio Jones and we are no closer to winning last week or losing this week than we were.

I don't think that's true. There's a lot of talent on the Colts team.

Oh really? Where?

Austin Collie - Average without Manning

Pierre Garcon - Average without Manning

Anthony Gonzalez - Average without Manning

Reggie Wayne - Elite talent but getting towards the back end of his career

Dwight Freeney - Elite talent but getting towards the end of his career and injuries have flared up. He's still elite

Robert Mathis - Above average but isn't the same kind of studly that he used to be

Antoine Bethea - Above average

Gary Bracket - The only solid LB and he's getting way up there and he's never been elite or even above average in my opinion, just solid

Joesph Addai - Marginal, especially without Peyton

Delone Carter - Could be very solid but right now he's not going to do a damn thing with Collins under center.

Jeff Saturday - very good center (The rest of the line is marginal)

The above are the most notable.

I could go through the entire roster like this and maybe 5 or 6 guys have top end talent. The Colts have always been putrid against the run. Bob Sanders is gone and he's a shell of his former self anyway. Kelvin Hayden is now a falcon so now they're relying on a guy like Powers. As sad as it is Peyton Manning is that team. Sooooooo where is this "a lot of talent" on the Colts roster? They are putrid without Peyton Manning.

We are better off with Hillis because with the injuries to our OL, and the loss of Vickers which cannot be underestimated, we need someone that that get yards with 2-3 guys on him, because we don't have the blocking. Mendenhall and Addai do NOT have that same skill.

Maybe they are a little quicker on the edge, but then Hillis showed on that TD run that he can get the edge as well.

Those other guys would never even see the edge with poor blocking.

Fair statement. I agree that the Colts without Manning may be in the bottom 5 teams. (But its not just him, they have lost other good players as well. They lost the heart and soul of their defense without Bob Sanders). Though I am not so sure that Kerry Collins is all that bad...and least no worse than about a half dozen or so other QBs in this league right now. His problem clearly is that he was brought in the week before the regular season, and this Colts offense is a very difficult offense.

Archived