THE BROWNS BOARD

Positives/negatives Week 3

Harry Buffalo

Negatives:

This has to be Sheldon Brown's last season. Not to take anything away from Hartline, but he made Browns look like an old man today, and that is becoming a weekly trend in my opinion.

RT is horrible for us. I'm not seeing much pressure coming in from the DT's, so I am not going to going to comment on Pinkston or Lauvou, but I am always seeing the DE over who ever is in at RT collapsing the pocket. This position needs to be addressed with either a Pro Bowler in FA, or a rookie in the first 2 rounds in the draft. Until this is fixed McCoy is going to keep looking like crap.

Alex Smith in the 4th quarter. I can honestly understand why he is getting playing time over Moore. He is a good blocker and he is still a way better pass catcher than Royal was last year, while Moore is an amazing pass catcher but has zero blocking ability. So I can understand why Smith is in there, so he can block. But when we are down in the 4th quarter why is Smith out their running routes over Moore. Had a key drop and ran the wrong route on consecutive plays. Fix this.

Play calling. Again I am giving this coaching staff a longer leash but our offensive play calling up until the last 3 minutes was horrible. It was like our last drive was what the WCO is supposed to be, while the rest of the game was long drawn out post/flag routes mixed with streaks. I know there is the whole, "They'll just stack the box" issue when we just run and use short routes, but the only way to open up those longer routes is to establish the short passing game first. It seriously looked like we ran Daboll's offense from last year the whole game and then switched back to the WCO on the last drive.

Positives:

Our D Line played fantastic. Sheard was constantly putting pressure on Henne and he ended up chasing him into a few of those sacks. Rubin got good pressure and Taylor got his first sack as a Pro. Hell even Mitchel had a good day.

Gocong looked a lot better. He did a good job with pressure today and even in coverage.

Coverage was good minus Brown. Haden did a good job shutting down Marshall, only giving up short catches, Patterson did a decent job, Skrine did great on the Dolphins last drive, Ward did a good job in run support, and both Adams and Young played very well.

Clutch WR's in that last drive. Colt was very confident in throwing the Little and MoMass had a very clutch catch for the winning TD.

Hardesty had a good first start. Nothing flashy but he did have a 4.8 YPC and almost 90 total yards.

Coverage was good minus Brown. Haden did a good job shutting down Marshall, only giving up short catches, Patterson did a decent job, Skrine did great on the Dolphins last drive, Ward did a good job in run support, and both Adams and Young played very well.

How about Patterson? The guy kept his composure and had a key deflection after getting called for the horse collar.

Posistives

Defense, Defense, Defense, and did i mention our Defense? think we had 5 Sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF and recovered it also.... Now don't get me wrong The dolphins gave away points like the salvation army gives away clothes at christmas, but i'm not complaining the stats speak for themselfs!

Winning a game without Peyton Hillis, Yes this is a posistive for the browns as a whole to know if need be we can have colt lead the 2 min drive and handle business.

So So's

Colt Mccoy once again showed he is a general, not a stud still but like last week he did just enough to win this one.

Play calling was So So i would say it was a negative but since we won the game that last drive pushed me to say this was SOSO esp since Hillis didn't Play.

Negatives

Time of possesion.... 22 Minutes really?

Evan Moore didn't even come in till the 4th Quarter i think.

I can't nitpick hard i love the win but it was hard to point the finger at all, was just an all around ugly grinder.

Good post hilliz is boss.

Agreed sheldon was getting beat like a red headed step child.

Our right side of the oline is putrid. Orien harris is shit.

Our defense is the surpise for sure. Dline has impressed me.. we need some lbs for sure but haden is great...

I would like the browns to play with the urgency they had the last drive..

Positives....you guys all nailed it. I'm becoming a Greg Little fan; get him the ball more.

Negatives....officiating. I've never seen a defense called for roughing the passer when he didn't throw the ball. Also, the "excessive celebration" penalty after MoMass' TD was total BS.

GO BROWNS!! Protect the home turf!!

Hardesty played well. Colt got it done when it mattered. I was holding my head when he missed Cribbs behind the defense in the first quarter. Our two big tackles are clogging the line of scrimmage a lot.

Right tackle stll shaky but better than the first two games. We are going to need to hit on another cornerback in next years draft, Brown is playing hard but he looks to have lost a half step. Could use another outside LB with some speed.

The excessive celebration call was BS. That and the horsecollar is how we usually lose the game on a last second field goal. Props to the defense there. Im happy, we won!

most of what has been said, but I dislike the routes and generally the play calling, that needs to improve.

mccoy is playing too conservative or having too many conservative play calls(Kosar mentioned the same thing about Shurmur). it makes it feel like I'll never see a 400 yard passing game from Mccoy, let alone 300 at this point.

and like others said, I've been saying since before the season even began that Little needs to be starting, with deep routes called for him.

I like how Hardesty played, he had a quick burst on a lot of his runs that got us first downs, that was good and I hope they utilize him more now when Hillis is back, splitting it even or close to even (60/40).

Marecic should never be on the field, let one of the TEs take his place, he doesn't block any better than Alex smith would.

there's a lot of work to do with this team, but it's definitely improving.

glad to have the win.

POSITIVES: We Won.

NEGATIVES: We Won by Only 1 Point.

Seriously, Rubin, Taylor, Sheard and Mitchel played great and they're gonna get better.. Gocong was chasing all over the field and Jackson was making plays in the oponnents backfield.. Hadens a beast and some of the rookies are following suit... The last two drafts were great, can you imagine what we'll look like after next years draft and free agent signings???

We've finally seen what Hardesty brings and I like it...

McCoy didn't have a great game and in fact he had a poor game but when the chips were down he manned up and did what had to be done.. Maybe the WCO with a no huddle concept plays more into McCoys hands...

Once again, last year we would have lost this game.........

Peace

T.Dawg

Unquestionable Positive:

ATLANTA LOST AGAIN TODAY!!!!!!

Maybe that first round pick is going to be that much more valuable after all.

Falcons look mighty shaky.

+1 lol caught me out of left field.

most of what has been said, but I dislike the routes and generally the play calling, that needs to improve.

mccoy is playing too conservative or having too many conservative play calls(Kosar mentioned the same thing about Shurmur). it makes it feel like I'll never see a 400 yard passing game from Mccoy, let alone 300 at this point.

and like others said, I've been saying since before the season even began that Little needs to be starting, with deep routes called for him.

I like how Hardesty played, he had a quick burst on a lot of his runs that got us first downs, that was good and I hope they utilize him more now when Hillis is back, splitting it even or close to even (60/40).

Marecic should never be on the field, let one of the TEs take his place, he doesn't block any better than Alex smith would.

there's a lot of work to do with this team, but it's definitely improving.

glad to have the win.

Seriously still with the Marecic hate? He did not have a bad game and if you think Smith blocks just as good as he does then your crazy.

cant help it with the vickers homers....marecic will never be good enough to them. nevermind he's gotten considerably better every game, facts dont matter.

cant you remeber vickers being lights out from the first time he stepped on the field? :rolleyes:

Positives: winning a tough fight of a game - the dolphins did not want to give that one up...they played hard defence all day and our crew stepped up with a win. there was a ton of pressure on sparano for that one and they certainly threw alot at the browns.

WR's made plays today...it was fun to watch

d-line, haden and ward are just fun this year..thanks dick jauron.

Negatives: excessive celebration calls...that one on massqoui is xxxxing ridiculous. get it together NFL way too many cheese ball rules to allow the refs to control the game.

Positives:

Everyone we've drafted in the last two years

Everyone we've signed in the last two years

Perrenial Studs: Cribbs, Thomas and Mack

Gocong

Negatives:

Colt had an off game or something isn't clicking with the offence. Does anyone have tapes of the games last year against New England and Pittsburg. I mean our offence was unstoppable and made their way up the field quickly, again and again. I think they need to look at Colt in those games and understand what was being done that generated so many yards through the air. However, some of the plays in the last two minutes were phenominal.

I thought Jackson had his worst games of the season.

With the two exceptions above (Thomas + mack) the rest of the O'Line needs a lot of help.

Our punter. One really bad punt and two that he angled out of bounds at the 20.

Robiskie (Cribbes and MoMass had equally difficult catches and came down with the ball).

With Colt not playing well, and without Hillis, we were really fotunate to win this one. But overall, I don't give the offence a good grade.

Good take hillis iz boss...

Every game will yield experience and improvements in specific areas and every game will also be hard lessons learned for other areas of the team..

We have a genuine rebuild underway and it shows in the form of "growing pains"..

Positives:

Our defense is looking formidable as the rooks are improving and getting decisively more involved..

Jauron is doing a good all round job..

Hardesty looked very good for his first nfl start..

We are 2-1 for the first time since 2002!

Cribbs and little..

Negatives:

The offensive playcalling by shurmur is lackluster and sometimes questionable and it often simply fails to provide a means to an end or impress or even imply that a WCO system is in place to much of the time..

The right side of the o-line needs to be fixed asap, the pressure on colt is affecting the very growth of this offense unit, neither hicks or cousins is the solution, heckert needs to get off his ass and address this issue now before colt is seriously injured..

No speedy WR plays intensely into the above complaints along with colt having to hold on to the ball to long due to no seperation and having no where to roll out to, robiskie stinks and momass is overall average at his very best with poor awareness to boot, we need some vertical speed and some matching vertical playcalling desperately, the nickel and dime approach cant and wont work without speed to spread defenses..

Mangini strangled this offense and i dont see shurmur doing much to improve upon the concept of WCO or moving the ball vertically..

I realize it takes time to install and then build an effective and efficient new offense but i am starting to develop question marks about shurmurs coordinating and heckerts reluctance or ability to improve certain areas so this team can grow..

This offense just looks stuck in the mud and the playcalling is often inappropriate and somewhat over conservative and colt sometimes appears to be regressing under shurmurs tutelage..

Pretty much everyone already commented on the Negatives and Postives i saw from the game,it just feels great to get a win..Towards the end with those two penatlies i really thought we were gonna give up a FG and lose thats what a typcially Browns team from past would have done,i gotta say im impressed the way we came away with a Win.

Its even better to know this team is so young and are only going to gain more confidence from this and improve,i really feel like we are putting the peices together now to build a Championship caliber team.It feels good to be a Browns fan.

Hardesty played well. Colt got it done when it mattered. I was holding my head when he missed Cribbs behind the defense in the first quarter. Our two big tackles are clogging the line of scrimmage a lot.

Right tackle stll shaky but better than the first two games. We are going to need to hit on another cornerback in next years draft, Brown is playing hard but he looks to have lost a half step. Could use another outside LB with some speed.

The excessive celebration call was BS. That and the horsecollar is how we usually lose the game on a last second field goal. Props to the defense there. Im happy, we won!

Isn't Buster Skrine a CB? If so, maybe he and Browns will soon switch jobs. Skrine the starter, Brown the nickel?

That would be something you don't see very often for a 5th round pick to become a starter at CB as a rookie. Skrine has been impressive at times, he does have great speed and plays with an attitude. Patterson has made a few plays too, good pickup. The defense has been pretty good so far. Keeping the Titans running attack under control next weekend is going to be a challenge.

We need an explosive WR. None of our current guys demand a double team, we have a lot of good second and third recievers. If we had "that guy" at wr, I think you would see the field open up a bit more for MoMass, Cribbs and even Robiskie.

Man, we have the wrong OSU reciever. Hartline is a good player. Dolphins got him in the 4th round.

Isn't Buster Skrine a CB? If so, maybe he and Browns will soon switch jobs. Skrine the starter, Brown the nickel?

That would be something you don't see very often for a 5th round pick to become a starter at CB as a rookie. Skrine has been impressive at times, he does have great speed and plays with an attitude. Patterson has made a few plays too, good pickup. The defense has been pretty good so far. Keeping the Titans running attack under control next weekend is going to be a challenge.

We need an explosive WR. None of our current guys demand a double team, we have a lot of good second and third recievers. If we had "that guy" at wr, I think you would see the field open up a bit more for MoMass, Cribbs and even Robiskie.

Man, we have the wrong OSU reciever. Hartline is a good player. Dolphins got him in the 4th round.

One thing I like about Shurmur- he's putting the best guys out on the field, rookie or not. We saw a lot of Patterson yesterday, and I think we'll see a lot more. Skrine has shown some promise too. It's getting pretty obvious Sheldon Brown doesn't have the speed to be a starting CB anymore.

And ditto that about Slowbiski. Had one ball thrown his way- yeah, tough catch, but the guy doesn't belong on the field anymore. Starting wrs should be MoMass, Little, and Cribbs in the slot.

One thing I like about Shurmur- he's putting the best guys out on the field, rookie or not. We saw a lot of Patterson yesterday, and I think we'll see a lot more. Skrine has shown some promise too. It's getting pretty obvious Sheldon Brown doesn't have the speed to be a starting CB anymore.

And ditto that about Slowbiski. Had one ball thrown his way- yeah, tough catch, but the guy doesn't belong on the field anymore. Starting wrs should be MoMass, Little, and Cribbs in the slot.

Well, I think pretty much this year Robo IS at best the 4th WR, if not less. In fact, here are the stats so far this year for the Browns:

Age Pos G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G YScm RRTD Fmb

40 Peyton Hillis 25 RB 2 2 44 151 2 24 3.4 75.5 22.0 10 53 5.3 0 19 5.0 26.5 204 2 1

31 Montario Hardesty 24 RB 3 1 22 86 0 19 3.9 28.7 7.3 3 19 6.3 0 10 1.0 6.3 105 0 1

12 Colt McCoy 24 QB 3 3 8 19 0 9 2.4 6.3 2.7 1 -5 -5.0 0 -5 0.3 -1.7 14 0 2

48 Owen Marecic 23 FB 3 3 2 4 0 3 2.0 1.3 0.7 2 13 6.5 0 9 0.7 4.3 17 0 1

35 Armond Smith 25 RB 3 0 2 2 0 6 1.0 0.7 0.7 2 0 0

16 Josh Cribbs 28 WR 3 2 1 -3 0 -3 -3.0 -1.0 0.3 7 103 14.7 1 33 2.3 34.3 100 1 0

82 Ben Watson 31 TE 3 2 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 10 125 12.5 1 34 3.3 41.7 125 1 0

15 Greg Little 22 WR 3 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 8 74 9.3 0 18 2.7 24.7 74 0 0

11 Mohamed Massaquoi 25 WR 3 3 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 8 148 18.5 1 56 2.7 49.3 148 1 0

89 Evan Moore 26 TE 3 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 6 70 11.7 2 17 2.0 23.3 70 2 0

81 Alex Smith 29 TE 3 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 4 28 7.0 0 9 1.3 9.3 28 0 0

10 Jordan Norwood 25 WR 3 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 1 6 6.0 0 6 0.3 2.0 6 0 0

The red are the number of receptions. Note that Robo doesn't have one catch in 3 games.

Here's the thing...this is the NFL...MOST teams are capable of beating ANYONE on any given Sunday...we proved this axiom true last year with wins against NE and New Orleans...Miami is 0-3, their defense was terrible the first 2 games, BUT based upon the last couple of seasons, their defense is CAPABLE of playing much better than the first 2 games indicate which on Sunday they DID...I thought the Dolphins played a xxxxing GREAT game overall...they played to the VERY BEST of their ability for the most part and you could tell they wanted this game REAL BAD...and this is on the ROAD mind you...the only negative I find in their effort was their continued weak red zone play...had they improved on THAT...we'd have lost. I am saying all this to say that the Dolphins did not play like a winless team on Sunday, they played more like a 9-5 football team fighting for a playoff spot in the last regular season game. And we beat them. Nobody fights as hard as a man whose backed into a corner, and the Dolphins 0-2 start had them backed into a corner and they fought HARD.

Seems most have hit the positives and negatives right on.. However look at our roster and what you see is really amazing.

McCoy, Hardesty, Pinkston, Lavau, Taylor, Sheard, Haden, Ward, Little, Mitchell, Hillis, Watson, Brown, Gocong and Fujita....

All of these players are the result of H & H either in the draft, by trades or in free agency.. Thats 15 players out of the starting 22.. We havent seen this much influx of quality players here in Cleveland for a long time if ever.... If this trend keeps up can you imagine what we'll look like after next years draft and free agency signings???

Another point, none of these new players have experienced much losing in their careers... All have come from winning programs and losing is not a part of their makeup... Winning breeds winning, winning good or winning ugly, just winning.... We're one of the youngest team in the league and our future looks very bright....

Be patient this year, the rooks are gonna make some mistakes but the one thing you wont see is them giving up... This is a 60 minute team and you better be prepared to battle when you get on the field with them..... Last year we would have lost this game, maybe our fortunes are changing right before our eyes.... I'm lovin' it.................

Peace

T.Dawg

Archived