THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Tuesday, Hippie Hippie Shake

The Gipper

Here are this week's survey questions, some taken from other topics on this board etc.:

1. Which team is the NFL's biggest surprise this year so far, both good and bad?

2. Which Browns uniform color combination do you like the best?

3. So? The NBA has gone on lockout and will miss at least part of the season. Do you care?

4. What is your favorite non-alcoholic beverage?

5. My wife and I were having this discussion yesterday: Which are the 5 biggest "Hippie Songs" from the 60s/70s?

6. Edited in to ask Ghoolie's question: Should the Browns retire the whole "Dawg" persona that the team has been perpuating in their marketing campaign?

Here are this week's survey questions, some taken from other topics on this board etc.:

1. Which team is the NFL's biggest surprise this year so far, both good and bad?

Some would say the Lions....but actually, I think a lot of people thought they would be good, playoff contenders at least. On the positive note, I say a tie between the 49ers and the Bills.

Negatively, obviously, the Eagles.

ONLY with white pants, and ONLY with either White or Brown jerseys. Nothing else is acceptable to me.

3. So? The NBA has gone on lockout and will miss at least part of the season. Do you care?

Only somewhat. I hardly paid much attention to it anyway until after the Super Bowl...and then I paid far more attention to March Madness...college basketball...and when March Madness was over baseball would begin.

The NBA season in my opinion is way, way too long anyway. It really ought to be about a 60 game season. And its playoff system is absurd. Sixteen teams make the playoffs? And they have to play 4 Best of 7 Series? Baseball, whose regular season is 162 games only includes 8 teams, and their first round is best of 5. I would probably watch more college basketball....and maybe check out more hockey.

Coke is the real thing, (Pepsi's for chicks),but I also enjoy a good vanilla milkshake.

5. My wife and I were having this discussion yesterday: Which are the 5 biggest "Hippie Songs" from the 60s/70s?

Here is one list: Give Peace a Chance by the Plastic Ono Band; Mellow Yellow by Donovan; Too Much To Dream by the Electric Prunes; C'mon People Now by The Youngbloods; Almost Cut My Hair by CSNY

Honorable Mention: Take you Higher by Sly and the Family Stone; Mama Told Me Not to Come by Three Dog Night; War by Edwin Starr; Rainy Day Woman by Dylan; Time Has Come Today by the Chambers Brothers; White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane; White Bird by Its a Beautiful Day; Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul, and Mary; Groovin by The Young Rascals, Nights in White Satin by The Moody Blues; Innagadadavida; Green Tambourine, Oye Como Va, and a few others.

6. Edited in to ask Ghoolie's question: Should the Browns retire the whole "Dawg" persona that the team has been perpuating in their marketing campaign?

It should have been retired with Dixon and Minniefield.

The Bills. Their redzone offense has been off the charts this year.

White top White bottom

I could care less about rich people complaining about how much richer they could be. I think that Miami's big 2 little 1 (no, Bosh is not the little 1) ruined any integrity the NBA had.

Arnold Palmer.. both alchoholic and non-alchoholic

That's not really my era lol.. but I would say Bad Moon Rising, Come Together, and Ohio would be 3 of them

Not at all. We just need to get our secondary to cover people so they can begin barking again

Buffalo = good.....Philly = bad

White + orange

Not even a little

Water

"If you're going to San Francisco...wear flowers in your hair...."

Yes....let's change the nickname to the pups...the players can all make wimpering sounds, and piss all over the opponents

Lions are the good surprise, even though most expected them to be improved. At 5-0, I doubt anybody had them at 5-0.

Bad: NY Jets & Philly. The media anointed these teams, they suck.

Brown tops on white pants, (or orange pants)

Not really, but I feel bad for the people who depend on their season, like local bars, vendors, etc.

Hawaiian Punch

Hard to say...how about Born to Be Wild (Steppenwolf), War Pigs (Black Sabbath), Smoke on the Water (Deep Purple), Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin), Time (Pink Floyd)

No, it's a tribute to Hanford Dixon, who should be in the Hall of Fame.

1. Which team is the NFL's biggest surprise this year so far, both good and bad? Bills.

2. Which Browns uniform color combination do you like the best? White/White

3. So? The NBA has gone on lockout and will miss at least part of the season. Do you care? No

4. What is your favorite non-alcoholic beverage? Coke.

5. My wife and I were having this discussion yesterday: Which are the 5 biggest "Hippie Songs" from the 60s/70s? :-(

6. Edited in to ask Ghoolie's question: Should the Browns retire the whole "Dawg" persona that the team has been perpuating in their marketing campaign? No. They are marketing a tradition which is fine.

Det, Atl

White on white

No

Water

Name 5 Mama's and Papa's songs

I guess all teams have some sort of persona...we have a dawg pound...what else could be used??

1. Can't think of one. I was a little surprised to hear the "analysts" looking for chinks in Steeler armor.

2. Anything but orange. I guess I've seen too much Clemson orange so the color seems too collegiate to me. I don't have the aversion to brown pants that a lot of folks seem to have.

3. Not at all.

4. Coffee or Water. If it has to be carbonated, then ginger ale. If there were such a thing as a calorie free malt, that would be it.

5. It may not possible to narrow this down to a handful of songs. Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Santana, Jefferson Airplane and Moody Blues if my collection of vinyl is to be the judge. Individual songs that come to mind: Brand New Key, California Dreamin', All Along the Watchtower (all my dates seemed to adore this song), (Four Dead in) Ohio. The 'sixties' to me consisted of more Beatles v. Rolling Stones (63-4)and coincided with folk music (the seedlings of the hippie era). The hippies generally sprouted in the late 60's (We all lived in a yellow submarine in '68), blossomed full force simultaneously with Woodstock (69) and was fueled by Kent State (70). But that was just my personal experience with it. Pete Seeger started writing "Where have all the flowers gone?" in 1955 and released it in 1961. The version by Peter Paul and Mary made it famous in '62. That might be a song that needs to be on the list of hippie themes since it carried through the 60's and 70's era, performed by several artists. The anti-war movement had it's own set of songs. Interesting question.

6. I don't think you can just retire the dawg pound theme without something to replace it with. I wouldn't miss it, but I don't have a beef with it.

Detroit (Good) Jets (bad)

Brown Jerseys,Orange pants

Dont give a shit really,I hope it folds

Coffee w/cream

Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix)

Inagaddadavida (Iron Butterfly)

California Dreamin (Mammas n Pappas)

Theme for an Imaginary Westarn (Mountain)

Machine Gun (Jimi Hendrix)

Hell no!

This to Me is the Bible of Lead electric guitar playing. Jimi is totally on. No Digital delays or Harmonizers. Pure tone and a univibe and a Marshall Plexi amplifier. Its just simply magic. Lyrical and explosive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzTYFEgKZk

Archived