THE BROWNS BOARD

The Ides Of March Review

The Ides of March

Columbia

R 98 min

Et tu Brute? From Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar the classic tale of political betrayal to the skullduggery of the post-Watergate era the system hasn’t seemed to change a lot. So as we enter the political circus of the campaign season the political flicks will be hitting the screen more and more often as next November draws nigh.

No matter what one might think about George Clooney’s politics it’s impossible to dismiss his talent and charisma and both of those are on display here as star and director of THE IDES OF MARCH.

This is more about the seamy behind the scenes dirt inherent to the process than an all-out passion play to champion anyone’s ideology. Don’t get me wrong, Clooney’s views of who the good guys and bad guys are show through but neither party escapes unscathed.

Clooney plays Governor Mike Morris, a centrist Democrat seeking his party’s nomination for US president. He has the looks the policies and the gravitas to be the next chief executive and best of all refuses to stoop to unsavory campaign tactics. Steve Myers (Ryan Gosling) is a star struck staffer surrounded by a campaign team who are not quite so innocent.

Myers becomes a pawn in the tactical battle between two more seasoned operatives, namely his boss Paul Zara (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and the rival chief Tom Duffy (Paul Giamatti)

Myers tries to do the right thing as a nasty scandal rears its head and is sorely disappointed as he’s forced to look behind the curtain and face the reality that is our political system.

The cast, which includes Marisa Tomei as a tough political reporter is as good as it gets and the story is compelling as a look behind the doors of what used to be called smoke filled rooms.

Sure it’s easy to see the ideological slant but it never outweighs the story.

Interesting and thought provoking THE IDES OF MARCH is a strong entry into the upcoming Hollywood/political season.

B

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

well actually I see about 6 in a month. That doesn't count the ones that I see on dvd or on the internet. If I see 1 that has been out for say 3 or 4 weeks I won't bother to review it. I suppose now winter season is upon us I will probably go see a lot more especially with the holidays coming up. Let us know what you think of some of these movies in go to see.

Thanks.

WSS

Archived