THE BROWNS BOARD

Suck For Luck Is On

ITHIKA

Luck Or McCoy?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. McCoy is the future give him some time.

• Luck is the best QB prospect in the last ten years take him at all costs.
    • Give McCoy a shot hes still learning the offense and will come along.

Who agrees we need to make a serious run for Andrew Luck in the next draft? If that takes both number 1s and a number 2, i say lets do it. Most likely itll be the Colts or Rams picking first and both are set at QB. Yeah we're all hearing that the Colts will draft him, I dont buy it they just gave Manning a brand new contract and unless he is seriously injured it wont happen. So guess what the browns become the most likely trading partner with two first rounders. Remember the Flacons arent the team many thought they would be so their pick will be much higher than many anticipated!

Who agrees we need to make a serious run for Andrew Luck in the next draft? If that takes both number 1s and a number 2, i say lets do it. Most likely itll be the Colts or Rams picking first and both are set at QB. Yeah we're all hearing that the Colts will draft him, I dont buy it they just gave Manning a brand new contract and unless he is seriously injured it wont happen. So guess what the browns become the most likely trading partner with two first rounders. Remember the Flacons arent the team many thought they would be so their pick will be much higher than many anticipated!

Let's see how the rest of the year goes, but Colt McCoy has looked terrible so far this year. There is no way we get Luck though, so I'm not sure who would replace McCoy if he continues to play poorly. Our first picks will be on linebackers, offensive lineman, and wide receivers unless we like some other QB to take high in the draft. I'm just not sure what other QB's would be taken as high draft picks so I wouldn't be surprised if McCoy is still the guy..

Realistically we have no shot at Luck. The Dolphins, Colts and Jaguars are the leaders in the Clubhouse to "Suck for Luck". None of those teams will pass on Sir Andrew, regardless of what we offer- and according to the talking heads @ ESPN, the asking price will be both our first rounders, plus another one next year- MINIMUM.

If you want to think the Browns can lose out, be my guest- but we won't.

PS, I always knew McCoy didn't have much of an arm, but what the hell happened to his accuracy?

Realistically we have no shot at Luck. The Dolphins, Colts and Jaguars are the leaders in the Clubhouse to "Suck for Luck". None of those teams will pass on Sir Andrew, regardless of what we offer- and according to the talking heads @ ESPN, the asking price will be both our first rounders, plus another one next year- MINIMUM.

If you want to think the Browns can lose out, be my guest- but we won't.

PS, I always knew McCoy didn't have much of an arm, but what the hell happened to his accuracy?

That is exactly what I have been thinking! His accuracy last year is what had me believe he could be successful in this league. But he can't hit the broad side of a barn this year. I'm not sure if he can't deal with blitzes, can't learn the so called WCO we are running, or just simply last year was a bit of a fluke? I keep waiting for his accuracy to return but it's just not happening..

System and bad coaching. He has to think to much, and shurmur being a rookie hc doesn't know how to help him via effective playcalling.

You just don't forget how to throw....this team as a whole, and individual players, are completely unprepared week in week out. Receivers running wrong routes, blocking schemes, missed assignments.....the system is too complicated at the moment for so many young players.

Shurmur is so far in over his head....he's the problem. Question is....how long before he shapes up....if ever? Ultimately, this is holmgrens bed to flounder in.

Andrew Luck isn't going to save this sorry ass team.

No individual draft pick is going to fix the Cleveland Browns, the shuffling of players is just going to continue the same old cycle of crap in, crap out. They've had 1st rounders before, They've had different coaches. No continuity, no realistic time line for someone to step in and improve. People who expect playoffs in 2 years for every staff they get are Retarded. NOBODY anywhere, is going to fix the Browns in two seasons, if someone can't handle that, they should just stop watching.

Shurmur isn't the answer imo, I think the last 2 coaches could have been but people just booted them for stupid reasons. People don't like Mangini, but the staff he had was far more respectable than this. He had a bad third year, suddenly he has to go... What a load.

If we bomb the rest of the season. Our best case at getting Luck will be if the Rams get the No1 overall pick, and there is a good possibility if it is the Colts. The Colts could take Luck though, but are they gonna use a first rounder on a player who wont play for 3-4 years, because they still got Peyton. Rams aren't gonna take him because they recently got Bradford. We gotta hope that the Dolphins don't get that first pick though, because they will take him.

We have the ammo in this years draft to move up, it WILL take both 1s this year, and probably next years too. Good chance it might take more than that though too.

The fact is, the Dolphins and the Colts are on a mission to get that first round pick. The Colts figure that they have had Payton Manning for 13 years, and have had a string of like 10 years in a row where they have double digit wins so, with Payton out this year, it is perfect timing to afford take a year on the chin to get the next Payton Manning and then have a franchise QB for the next dozen years.

The Dolphins are on a plan to lose and get the first pick because they have been looking for the next Dan Marino for a decade now and haven't found him. Only in losing and getting Luck do they believe they will finally get their next Marino.

Hell, if the Browns didn't win another game the rest of the year I doubt they would get the first pick in the draft.

From Peter King at SI

What exactly is Andrew Luck worth?

Not a lot of people would know, because there have been very few times in NFL history when a relatively sure-fire quarterback prospect such as Luck comes out in the draft. So I asked the only general manager in history (I believe) who has been in position twice to take the top quarterback in a quarterback-heavy draft: Ernie Accorsi. In 1983, he was the rookie GM with the Baltimore Colts who set a high price tag for John Elway. In 2004, he was the veteran GM of the Giants and juggled Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger at the top of the draft, considering all and trading for Manning.

Accorsi told me he has seen Luck on TV but would be doing an injustice to scouting by having an opinion on Luck, the player. But he did tell me if Luck is in league with Elway as a prospect -- which is the widely held view of many scouts; not better, and maybe not as good, but in the same league -- then the Elway situation is a good barometer. Accorsi set a price tag of three first-round picks and two second-rounders for the first pick of the '83 draft, which certainly would be used on Elway. He never got the deal he wanted, so the Colts picked Elway No. 1.

But Baltimore owner Robert Irsay commandeered the trade negotiations for Elway once he found out signing him would cost $5 million over five years. (Exorbitant at the time, ridiculously reasonable in retrospect.) Irsay dealt Elway to Denver for the fourth pick in that year's draft (tackle Chris Hinton) plus Denver's first-round pick in 1984 and marginal quarterback prospect Mark Herrmann. Two ones and a backup quarterback, basically, for Elway. Turned out to be dirt-cheap compensation. Elway led the Broncos to five Super Bowls, winning two. "Five Super Bowls? You can't overpay for that,'' said Accorsi. "It's like overpaying for Joe DiMaggio. In retrospect, three ones and two twos would have been very fair. A bargain, really.''

I think three first-round picks for the first selection in the 2012 draft is more than fair if the team that earns that right is in a dealing mood. One of those picks would have to be in the top 10 of the 2012 draft. "If he's as good as everyone says he is, absolutely it's a realistic price,'' Accorsi said.

In 2004, Accorsi traded for Manning's rights with San Diego in a deal that essentially was two firsts, a third- and a fifth-, with one of the firsts being the fourth overall pick in that draft. (The picks were made, Manning by the Chargers and Philip Rivers by the Giants, and then swapped by the teams.)

But that's not a bad template for a Luck trade. Let's say the Rams have the first pick in the draft next year, but because they've got Sam Bradford, don't feel a need to take a quarterback. The Dolphins, let's say, are picking fourth. The negotiations would have to start with two ones, a three and a five, but I think they'd have to be ratcheted up in value. Luck, in 2012, will likely be much more of a sure thing than Manning or Rivers were in 2004.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/16/Week6/index.html#ixzz1b4QxPCXA

Problem the Browns will have is because we are not to the point where we are totally useless, we will continue to win a few games a year, with our Drafts adding good players in positions other than QB, so if they dont go all out and try and force a deal to get into position to get Luck, they will not be in that position of picking #1 for years to come, they will be lingering around pick 10-15 for a few years. SO the chances of drafting that QB your thinking will be what we are looking for with be just that pure LUCK !!!

So I say if Colt doesnt show major improvements by end of year, why not just throw everything we have available and willing to give up to get Luck if they think he is that good.

I think you have to look also at the fact that QB's drafted later in the draft are also succeeding this year. Look at Dalton in Cincy and although I didn't see it, I heard Ponder looked good last night for the Vikings. I'm not sure we give up an entire draft just to pick Luck when the team has numerous holes to fill.

I think you have to look also at the fact that QB's drafted later in the draft are also succeeding this year. Look at Dalton in Cincy and although I didn't see it, I heard Ponder looked good last night for the Vikings. I'm not sure we give up an entire draft just to pick Luck when the team has numerous holes to fill.

No this is true Mark, and I dont follow the college games that much to know the other good QBs around, I believe there will be a couple other decent ones in this years Draft to, but as you say when you have other needs as well, its hard to give up lots for just one guy. Maybe the Colts will take Luck and we can go get Manning after McCoy does nothing again for us next year to :lol:

I really want McCoy to be the guy so that we can focus on drafting and free agents at other positions but I'm starting to seriously question if he's the guy to lead this team. So the question is who do we draft or what free agents will be out there.

Like many others I am beginning to doubt Colt's ability to lead this team. Obviously he has the determination to try and succeed but determination can only do so much. With this in mind and with as good as Luck is suppose to be I want the Browns to go after Luck. The price of getting the first overall pick could cripple us for years to come if Luck turns out to be a bust.

At the same time I want to give Colt more time to learn the system because it is a new system and the lockout did nothing to help.

Honestly it will just cost to much for the Browns to grab him and in are situation we cant afford that, i mean we are so weak at other postitions we are better to just keep McCoy and draft talent around him and then grab a QB...We are way behind just a Luck to become great and im sure we would cripple his career with what we have and no help or support for him...

Its just not realistic thats all im saying i think the Dolphins will have the first pick and we could offer them 4 first rounders and it probaly wont get done and then imagnie if we set him back because hes all we had and ruined his career.....Typical thing to happen to a browns fan

Archived