THE BROWNS BOARD

What Is Cribbs Really Saying?

Browns57

My link

I read this article and I couldn't help but wonder what Josh Cribbs was trying to say. I read that he is willing to only play special teams, but why is that? Very interesting. I have a few theories but I thought I would rather see what you all thought the deeper meaning is here.

Several parts to this I think. Frustration after a loss. Frustration after a loss in which the kick coverage team gave up a TD (something that rarely happened when he was covering kickoffs). Although I think he's looked better at receiver this year, other than one nice catch and run I don't remember the ball even being thrown his way. I think Cribbs has shown one thing over his time here and that's the guy is a football player and he'll do whatever the team asks him to do and he wants to contribute. My guess is that he feels like he isn't contributing on offense so why not let him do what he was really good at?

I was also thinking that he might be suggesting that THE COACH IS AN IDIOT for not using him more. Maybe I am being cynical but if you aren't trying to make a jab at the coach why say this in public at all? It is funny how Cribbs is the third player to complain publicly and this is only week 6. And the players supposedly didn't like Mangini but we didn't here this kind of stuff. Maybe they don't respect Shurmer.

I think Goober just likes to post stuff so he can tell everyone how right he was even though he's wrong 3/4 of the time. It must really suck having to use the internet to feel good about yourself because you play the flute and get picked on 24/7 in real life.... just sayin

Now I wonder if Cribbs will take a pay cut? When he was moved to WR he said that he deserves to make more money and now that he's got that money he wants a lesser role with the offense? I dont think so.

Maybe it's time to trade him to.

What he's saying is, that in Joseph Campbell's book, Hero of a Thousand Faces, there is a universal pattern in mythology - concerning

the hero/heroine's quests, obstacles, and all else along the way. Cribbs wants to be a hero for the Browns, but the offensive line is beset with

injuries, a plaque if you will... to the offensive line. No less a bunch of devious doings than in many famous legends, like

"Jason and the Golden Fleece", for example, or the problems Dorothy and her friends encountered via the hands of the evil witch.

And Cribbs simply knows this, and seeks the Holy Grail of Heroism, in a sea of troubles, by heroically working away from the effects

of, symbolically, the evil witch - which in the Browns case, is injuries to the offensive line, and the previous historical stupid ass failure

to build the offensive line.:rolleyes:

He is saying what I have said all along. Cribbs is a return man,,,,,,,,,, NOTHING MORE.

Except he has also been an excellent cover man on Special Teams as well, and he is simply asking to be allowed to go back to doing that as well.

God knows Sunday proved that the Browns need that.

Fair to say?

What he's saying is, that in Joseph Campbell's book, Hero of a Thousand Faces, there is a universal pattern in mythology - concerning

the hero/heroine's quests, obstacles, and all else along the way. Cribbs wants to be a hero for the Browns, but the offensive line is beset with

injuries, a plaque if you will... to the offensive line. No less a bunch of devious doings than in many famous legends, like

"Jason and the Golden Fleece", for example, or the problems Dorothy and her friends encountered via the hands of the evil witch.

And Cribbs simply knows this, and seeks the Holy Grail of Heroism, in a sea of troubles, by heroically working away from the effects

of, symbolically, the evil witch - which in the Browns case, is injuries to the offensive line, and the previous historical stupid ass failure

to build the offensive line.:rolleyes:

Actually, I think Cribbs can be equated more to Frodo and his quest to destroy the evil ring, but in doing so, rather than soliciting the aid of a single comrade (Sam), he employs the tactics of D'Artagnan of the Dumas novels and tries to employ a cadre of like minded individuals who also seek justice. But, unlike the successful Frodo and D'Artagnan, he seems to be having to endure the fate of certain anti-heros like the Roy Hobbs of the book (not the movie) who fail in their goal. He perhaps has a little Holden Caulfield in him as well, not to mention John Conner of the Terminator series. Always fighting....never knowing if you will endure success or failure.

Fair to say that we can elicit other literary and popular culture analogies?

Really? It smacked of complete ignorance to me. You both seem to be saying that if you are a football fan that that status disqualifies you from being learned and literate.

Nope. It's implying that many on here posting are whiney biatches who won't even give a new coach 5 games before they are calling for him to be fired.

Nope. It's implying that many on here posting are whiney biatches who won't even give a new coach 5 games before they are calling for him to be fired.

yeah, to think that shurmur will be fired after this season is crazy. it goes against everything Holmgren said the Browns were lacking - consistency in the organization

My link

I read this article and I couldn't help but wonder what Josh Cribbs was trying to say. I read that he is willing to only play special teams, but why is that? Very interesting. I have a few theories but I thought I would rather see what you all thought the deeper meaning is here.

good article, thanks for sharing it B57.

personally i think it's crystal clear what JC was saying...as well as his motivation for saying it.

that play, where Ford returned the ball 101 yards for a TD:

Cribbs wasn't on the field.

i actually couldn't believe he wasn't out there on that play either. i rewound that play at least 10X and scoured the field...but no Cribbs. I had/have no idea why>>i simply chalked it up to tightness or some temporary ailment...but now it appears it was all by design.

and apparently, not being out there frustrated the hell out of Josh too. in fact, in the big picture that decision to "save his energy for offensive plays" or whatever the motivation was, very well may have cost them the game.

he is and always has been the Browns best gunner and open field tackler, bar none. additionally he helps direct the young guys into position and with his vision and experience he can read the opponent better than anyone else on the field.

not to pile on the current regime but Mangini and Seeley understood Cribbs' contributions to the team thoroughly. while he was being incorporated into the offense the past several years, effort was taken to ensure he was still able to perform the duties that got him where he is today>>which namely are obviously gunning/coverage and returns.

currently i am of the impression mr. pat shurmur is still unaware of who/what he's got where, and is still feeling out his new team...but unfortunately for us he appears to be a shit evaluator taboot.

because going back in time and retaining Mangini for 2011 is obviously not an option, nor is reuniting him with Rob Ryan, Seeley, and the rest of that staff present day...we are essentially left with what we've got. and what we've got is a passive President who really needs to get off his ass and begin putting his touch on an organization that can't get over the hump.

seriously Mike, face it your protege is in the weeds. it's time to step up and earn your pay. this was why you were installed. DO WORK, SON.

and for Speedy>>fuk it. let him keep the money even if he demotes from offense, as long as he delivers the same high level of play we all took for granted when he was regularly adding to his legacy of records and stats. imo, that Josh is worth every penny.

Cribbs needs to be on the unit he can make the most plays/difference in the game. Wonder what unit he's better on....special teams or receiver? Hmmm. He's a decent receiver but conserving him for special teams would be better. Especially since he has a different injury every other week.

To get back on topic. Cribbs is the best special teams player easily as far as covering punts and kick returns. Secondly, the plays he makes on special teams spark the teams and are what cribbs really loves to do. And he's right his impact on offense has been useless. He was taking up Little's spot and we need a true reciever like him to develop so he was just hindering his progress. Lastly, i believe cribbs truly is sick of losing and knows his work is better put toward special teams because as soon as he began to be used on offense last year his return production has declined dramatically.

Archived