THE BROWNS BOARD

Rbs And The Wco

The Gipper

There is absolutely no reason that Payton Hillis should not be thriving in the NWCO that this team is trying to run. Case in point:

Mike Holmgren had Shaun Alexander in his WCO system....which I assume is essentially the same as is being run by Shurmur. Is there any doubt that Alexander was the best RB in the league for about a 3-4 year period? Hillis or Hardesty should be able to fill that role

Take the WCO run by Holmgren protege Jon Gruden which had a guy with the same build, same number, same skin color as Hillis: Mike Alstott. He was outstanding for a number of years with the TB Bucs under Gruden.

And of course take the original WCO RB: Roger Craig. Like Hillis a very tough runner, but not necessarily a breakaway runner. He like Hillis was very sure handed out of the backfield. Both can catch the hell out of the ball.

Thus, there is no reason I see here why this running game shouldn't be highly successful (unless of course we have O Line issues...which I suspect we do.)

There is absolutely no reason that Payton Hillis should not be thriving in the NWCO that this team is trying to run. Case in point:

Mike Holmgren had Shaun Alexander in his WCO system....which I assume is essentially the same as is being run by Shurmur. Is there any doubt that Alexander was the best RB in the league for about a 3-4 year period? Hillis or Hardesty should be able to fill that role

Take the WCO run by Holmgren protege Jon Gruden which had a guy with the same build, same number, same skin color as Hillis: Mike Alstott. He was outstanding for a number of years with the TB Bucs under Gruden.

And of course take the original WCO RB: Roger Craig. Like Hillis a very tough runner, but not necessarily a breakaway runner. He like Hillis was very sure handed out of the backfield. Both can catch the hell out of the ball.

Thus, there is no reason I see here why this running game shouldn't be highly successful (unless of course we have O Line issues...which I suspect we do.)

Yup, and we're finding out "Hands of Stone" Hardesty (he of the 6 drops- and counting) is unreliable in the WCO. Add in I heard Hillis went back into the Raiders game with a bad hammie because Hardesty wasn't cutting it in pass blocking.

And you're both is onto something as far as the o-line is concerned. Losing Steinback for the season really hurt the chemistry there. Joe Thomas said the Raiders played out of character that came. If the Browns blocked with five, the Raiders sent six. If we blocked with six, they sent seven. Heck, on one of McCoy's sacks- they sent EIGHT. If Colt had been able to hit a wr, it would have been an easy TD there was nothing behind them except end zone.

There is absolutely no reason that Payton Hillis should not be thriving in the NWCO that this team is trying to run.

Him being sick 1 game, and getting injured the next are both pretty good reasons

Hardesty played well in the game Hillis missed which is why we saw such a split in the Tennessee game. I'm pretty sure if Hillis doesn't get hurt last week we would have saw him play 75% of the snaps...

This regime knows Hillis is a great fit for our backfield, his agent is just asking for $ that the Browns are not sure is worth giving to the guy unless he finishes this year healthy. I'm confident they'll work out the deal, but in the meantime he's gotta show that he wasn't a 1-year wonder, and has to stay healthy.

Archived