THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Mccoy

AlbinoRhino40

Does anybody have an intelligent thought on his development as an NFL starter? Do you guys think he has played on par for what would be expected from a 2nd year guy w/ minimal starts as a rookie? Who do you see his ceiling as resembling, as far as past QBs in the league?

1) I think the fact that he was thrusted into the starting position last year was bad for his development. Also, the change in systems has been bad. Many "experts" are saying that the reason other rookie QBs are doing so well is b/c of the shortened offseason causing them to "dumb down" the playbooks for the young QBs (Newton, Dalton). Well, Colt got a copy of our playbook before the lockout... that might've been a bad thing.

2) I think he is on par for what could be expected, especially considering the awful play from our o-line. Steinbach really seems to have had a big impact on that line, and boy are we missing him now.

3) Honestly, Drew Brees. I can't sit here and say that he is horrible yet, he hasn't been given enough time or enough talent at the WR position.

Overall, I am starting to doubt him, but am willing to stand behind him as our QB and I will be expecting big things from him for the rest of the season. Right now... the jury is out still...

Comments...

Does anybody have an intelligent thought on his development as an NFL starter? Do you guys think he has played on par for what would be expected from a 2nd year guy w/ minimal starts as a rookie? Who do you see his ceiling as resembling, as far as past QBs in the league?

1) I think the fact that he was thrusted into the starting position last year was bad for his development. Also, the change in systems has been bad. Many "experts" are saying that the reason other rookie QBs are doing so well is b/c of the shortened offseason causing them to "dumb down" the playbooks for the young QBs (Newton, Dalton). Well, Colt got a copy of our playbook before the lockout... that might've been a bad thing.

2) I think he is on par for what could be expected, especially considering the awful play from our o-line. Steinbach really seems to have had a big impact on that line, and boy are we missing him now.

3) Honestly, Drew Brees. I can't sit here and say that he is horrible yet, he hasn't been given enough time or enough talent at the WR position.

Overall, I am starting to doubt him, but am willing to stand behind him as our QB and I will be expecting big things from him for the rest of the season. Right now... the jury is out still...

Comments...

So far it is Brady McFrye all over again.

I am really disappointed in Colt so far this year.

Take everything else out of the picture for a minute: blocking, running game, receivers, playcalling etc .... When Colt has had time and a receiver is open ... do you have faith he is going to make the throw? I don't anymore. He is overthrowing the deep balls and throwing behind the receiver on the short to medium routes.

The whole theory of the WCO is for the QB to know where he is going and accurately put that ball in that spot ... colt is throwing behind these guys. Open guys on a fly .. we get them, but he misses them.

From what I saw in college and last year, I thought he was going to be an accurate passer in the NFL. He has the smarts, the fire, all that. But you gotta put the ball where it needs to be. Otherwise you are just another Brady McFrye.

Zombo

I like McCoy but I fear he is suffering from a case of David Carr syndrome. Even when he has time he looks shook and if the poor play calling and oline play continues, it maybe irreversible.

McCoy has been asked to do too much for a green qb. He has been expected to produce without a running game, a patchy oline, and playing from behind almost every game. The odds are stacked against him but if(and that's a big if) he can overcome adversity and get this offense rolling I think he will legitimize himself as an NFL starting qb.

In my opinion we are a bad team right now because holmgren is licking the tires and seeing what pieces are worth keeping. I don't agree with a lot of his moves(letting vickers walk, taking a FB in the 4, resigning a gocong, having robo on the roster, firing mangini, how he's dealing with the hillis situation, etc) but as much as it hurts it doesn't appear he's fielding a team to win this season. Hopefully he has a plan because he has dug us in a hole and isn't doing anything to get us out.

I think Colt McCoy has the potential to be the next Joe Montana.

Montana

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV

1979 23 SFO 16 16 1 0-1-0 13 23 56.5 96 1 4.3 0 0.0 18 4.2 5.0 7.4 6.0 81.1 0 0 4.2 5.0 0.0 0

1980 24 SFO qb 16 15 7 2-5-0 176 273 64.5 1795 15 5.5 9 3.3 71 6.6 6.2 10.2 119.7 87.8 15 100 5.9

McCoy

2010 23 CLE QB 12 8 8 2-6-0 135 222 60.8 1576 6 2.7 9 4.1 47 7.1 5.8 11.7 197.0 74.5 23 132 5.9 4.7 9.4 5

2011 24 CLE QB 12 5 5 2-3-0 121 217 55.8 1199 8 3.7 3 1.4 56 5.5 5.6 9.9 239.8 78.1 8 48 5.1 5.2 3.6

Colt McCoy is a good QB. His mechanics are sound and he is highly accurate. I know, he had a down game and hasn't found any rhythm from game to game. I've been watching the games too. Thing is, a lot goes into a QB being successful. The timing Colt has with his wideouts right now is off. This is because of a number of things, the lack of protection he gets and you have to look at the OC for the way timing is created. The OC has to be the one to make sure the QB/WRs rep right and there are a handful of OCs that can take a QB to the next level in the league. Its a lack of protection, the people that surround Colt, and yes, a number of bad reads and passes on his part that have contributed to this slump. But it's important to remember that Colt has what it takes, its not just about him. I keep reading all of this business about his lack of a big arm. NFL is about accuracy and mechanics and McCoy can be accurate. Look at QBs like McNabb and you can see why they never got to the ship in the long run. When it counted he couldn't make those 5-6 throws he needed to move on. That's on his mechanics and footwork. Colt is a good QB, but yall have to look at how the OC sets up practices and the timing with the wideouts is established to see why the passing game isn't working. Also, you have to give your coaches time to get McCoy to the next level. Last thing, he needs time to throw. Seriously. We've all seen QBs go in and get the shit beat out of them. This is happening.

He hasn't looked fantastic, but has shown flashes at times-the Miami game in the last drive, for instance.

My concern is he doesn't look comfortable, and has happy feet. We are playing teams, like Seattle, Jacksonville, the Rams, where I think he can do well in the next month.

I hate being patient, but frankly, it's too soon to make a correct call on McCoy.

you cant judge colt so harshly, because he has one of the worst WR cores in the league, plus he's always running for his life, new offense, new coaches

Just everybody please get off his freaking back my god, you guys sound like idiots

He's done outstanding with the bullshit we have given him

Colt McCoy is a good QB. His mechanics are sound and he is highly accurate. I know, he had a down game and hasn't found any rhythm from game to game. I've been watching the games too. Thing is, a lot goes into a QB being successful. The timing Colt has with his wideouts right now is off. This is because of a number of things, the lack of protection he gets and you have to look at the OC for the way timing is created. The OC has to be the one to make sure the QB/WRs rep right and there are a handful of OCs that can take a QB to the next level in the league. Its a lack of protection, the people that surround Colt, and yes, a number of bad reads and passes on his part that have contributed to this slump. But it's important to remember that Colt has what it takes, its not just about him. I keep reading all of this business about his lack of a big arm. NFL is about accuracy and mechanics and McCoy can be accurate. Look at QBs like McNabb and you can see why they never got to the ship in the long run. When it counted he couldn't make those 5-6 throws he needed to move on. That's on his mechanics and footwork. Colt is a good QB, but yall have to look at how the OC sets up practices and the timing with the wideouts is established to see why the passing game isn't working. Also, you have to give your coaches time to get McCoy to the next level. Last thing, he needs time to throw. Seriously. We've all seen QBs go in and get the shit beat out of them. This is happening.

Today I was talking to my friend, Craig (who played QB at NDSU and PG at Marquette and ran QB camps Kyle Orton attended) about what he thought of Colt McCoy. I wanted to get a QB's perspective. He said he thought that McCoy was good, that he liked him, that his mechanics were sound. That you had to look at the OC and the way that he worked with the Quarterback to prepare him. And he also said protection was important. Just an outsiders perspective, so you know I'm not being a homer. My buddy's a yankee, so you know its not just me backing up an ex-Horn.

Today I was talking to my friend, Craig (who played QB at NDSU and PG at Marquette and ran QB camps Kyle Orton attended) about what he thought of Colt McCoy. I wanted to get a QB's perspective. He said he thought that McCoy was good, that he liked him, that his mechanics were sound. That you had to look at the OC and the way that he worked with the Quarterback to prepare him. And he also said protection was important. Just an outsiders perspective, so you know I'm not being a homer. My buddy's a yankee, so you know its not just me backing up an ex-Horn.

A "yankee"? As in a New York Yankee? That would be baseball, not football....or basketball.

Well... my buddy said he stinks like shit, smells like jizz, and throws like a girl.

Who cares what people say or think. He's not producing and yeah it's not all his fault but it's not good right now.

He's been playing great in the last 2 minutes of the games. He's the GARBAGE TIME CHAMPION. Other than that, i've seen him miss wide open guys, over throw deep routes, under throw short ones. I don't know what it is, but his accuracy and timing is off with this crew.

Maybe he will be the next Montana, but this year he stinks just like the entire Browns offense does.

A "yankee"? As in a New York Yankee? That would be baseball, not football....or basketball.

haha i was just being sarcastic. I call everybody up north a Yankee to ruffle their feathers. its not actually accurate.

Well... my buddy said he stinks like shit, smells like jizz, and throws like a girl.

Who cares what people say or think. He's not producing and yeah it's not all his fault but it's not good right now.

He's been playing great in the last 2 minutes of the games. He's the GARBAGE TIME CHAMPION. Other than that, i've seen him miss wide open guys, over throw deep routes, under throw short ones. I don't know what it is, but his accuracy and timing is off with this crew.

Maybe he will be the next Montana, but this year he stinks just like the entire Browns offense does.

Well if you dont know what it is, then why in the hell are you talking like you do?

He doesn't need to be the next Montana, he just needs to find a timing that clicks with his recievers and he needs time to throw. The protection he's afforded is no small thing. Like I said, weve all seen new QBs get thrown in there and just get the snot knocked out of them. Ive tried outlining a few of the things that are issues and you just get up there and say that he smells like jizz. wtf

Listen here Carlos mi amigos...you little bean factory. I know what he isn't and that's GOOD. So i'll talk all I want, this is a forum after all.

"mi amigos" means my friends so you sound like an idiot to anyone that speaks spanish OR more than one language. And as for your analysis of QBs, i could give a tiny rat's ass.

haha i was just being sarcastic. I call everybody up north a Yankee to ruffle their feathers. its not actually accurate.

By "up north" I assume you mean anything north of the Rio Grande?

Otherwise, in this country, I would say that is a completely outdated term. Over half the people in the southern/western US states moved there from the north within the last 40 years. (ah, the wonder of airconditioning)

And FYI we have a term that has been in use for a long time on this board. It is "DAT". Figure it out. In fact, on this board, that is the official name of a certain NFL team.

Listen here Carlos mi amigos...you little bean factory. I know what he isn't and that's GOOD. So i'll talk all I want, this is a forum after all.

I didnt say you couldn't talk man. Go right ahead.

By "up north" I assume you mean anything north of the Rio Grande?

Otherwise, in this country, I would say that is a completely outdated term. Over half the people in the southern/western US states moved there within the last 40 years.

And FYI we have a term that has been in use for a long time on this board. It is "DAT". Figure it out. In fact, on this board, that is the official name of a certain NFL team.

Its definitely an outmoded term. I was trying to make a jab at the fact that some folks from the South still act like the Civil War is going on. Wasn't very funny but it was just a joke.

"mi amigos" means my friends so you sound like an idiot to anyone that speaks spanish OR more than one language. And as for your analysis of QBs, i could give a tiny rat's ass.

Lol. I'm pretty sure every knows that. I had a friend names Carlo and we'd always say mi amigo. Anyways, no one around here really seems to give a rat what you say either.

So welcome to the club.

Lol. I'm pretty sure every knows that. I had a friend names Carlo and we'd always say mi amigo. Anyways, no one around here really seems to give a rat what you say either.

So welcome to the club.

okay cool its good to be here

Anyways Colt is 21st in yardage and 27th in qb rating.

I'd say my assessment of he stinks like shit is pretty accurate.

youre entitled to it.

Oh, bullbleep.

if YOU whiners were an NFL qb, pretty much a rookie, with a new coaching staff, new offense, only one legit blue chippie caliber wr (Little @@),

without your battering ram rb Hillis, and your other rb can't catch a cold or a simple dump off pass, you don't even HAVE a legit ORT,

and your veteran OLG is out for the year and a rookie plays in his place, your ORG is still learning and growing into a solid player,

and your are your outstanding center is playing WHILE RECOVERING FROM APPENDIX SURGERY, and your offensive line has little or no legit depth....,

you can't run the ball, and you have no protection on the right side, and ....

you criticize Colt for being jumpy? Come on, man. Seriously. Get a grip.

Oh, bullbleep.

if YOU whiners were an NFL qb, pretty much a rookie, with a new coaching staff, new offense, only one legit blue chippie caliber wr (Little @@),

without your battering ram rb Hillis, and your other rb can't catch a cold or a simple dump off pass, you don't even HAVE a legit ORT,

and your veteran OLG is out for the year and a rookie plays in his place, your ORG is still learning and growing into a solid player,

and your are your outstanding center is playing WHILE RECOVERING FROM APPENDIX SURGERY, and your offensive line has little or no legit depth....,

you can't run the ball, and you have no protection on the right side, and ....

you criticize Colt for being jumpy? Come on, man. Seriously. Get a grip.

Great reasons for why his play has been bad. I like the kid and think he has what it takes but you gotta judge him by his performance. If you don't judge by that, what else is there to go off of?

He's got potential but he's stuck on a bad team and he's playing bad football.

I think the team as a whole is playing really tight right now. They need a couple breaks and a big scoring game this weekend to loosen things up. Once Hillis gets back and healthy you'll see this offense start to warm up.

Oh, bullbleep.

so if you were to place blame on a single individual as to why those things you've pointed out have happened, who would that be?

whose fault is it we have a new coaching staff, no playmakers, no discipline and aren't ready to play on sunday? i'm not talkin injuries either.

i can only think of two people that you can attribute these things to. and yes if everything works out they get the praise. but that isn't the case right now.

i wonder who that could be????

so if you were to place blame on a single individual as to why those things you've pointed out have happened, who would that be? Miktoxic

There isn't any blame on any single individual. That's just invalid. It is a cumulative disaster of all sorts of coaching bad judgements by all sorts of

coaches and FO. It's taken two years to get this far, and now we have injuries, which the Browns can not afford. So, the offense is helpless to

compete.

Meanwhile, the defense is way, way better under Shurmur than they were under Mangini. And with few injuries, cept Haden's hamstring.

whose fault is it we have a new coaching staff, no playmakers, no discipline and aren't ready to play on sunday? i'm not talkin injuries either.

The new coaching staff is a huge arse PLUS. Whose fault is it that Mangini was a hc? That Davis and Butticheck sucked blue slime off of carp's butts?

We have playmakers. Little is that, but he's a rookie. Colt is that, but he doesn't have a complete, competitive offensive line. Haden is that, but he's hurt.

Watson is that, but the oline is worthless at RT, and defenses are simply stacking against the short passes and the run, and Mack is playing while recuperating from surgery.

Desperately trying to make something work fast enough with a new offense? That isn't discipline, that's just life. Getting caught

on a few trick plays? A lot of new players still learning new defense, special teams.

i can only think of two people that you can attribute these things to. and yes if everything works out they get the praise. but that isn't the case right now.

The Browns have historically drafted really stupid, and the lack of legit NFL players has reaked havoc on any chances of a winning team.... so it takes more than

one or two years of really solid drafting to fix the entire team. With all the needs, you want to draft about 20 starters with only 14 draft picks? Come on.

i wonder who that could be????

Who? More like what. Bad, ignorant drafting history, until the last two years - with a few exceptions. That's "who".

Maybe he does good because he has more time to throw because teams are less likely to rush the passer with aggression.

Archived