THE BROWNS BOARD

Qb's In This Year's Draft

Harry Buffalo

God forbid that McCoy isn't our guy, I hope he turns his shitty looking season around, blah, blah, blah. Now that we got the hopes and dreams with our currently QB out of the way, who do you want if Colt isn't the guy. We all know about Luck, how he is amazing and the surest thing since Manning, but who are the other guys who want?

Personally, even though I am not very found of taking spread QB's and trying to convert them, I really like Robert Griffen III from Baylor. Despite the offense he runs he is extremely accurate with 78% of his passes completed so far along with his 11-1 TD to INT ratio, has a good arm as he bombs it down feel several times a game, and is plenty shifty to get away from pressure which is a good thing since our O-Line has looked like Swiss cheese so far this season. Plus the fact this guy is extremely intelligent as he is a graduate student as a Junior I would feel that RGIII is the best choice after Luck if he decides to enter the draft this year.

I'm not sure about Griffen..this is the first year he's played this well. He reminds me of Akilli Smith and we all know how that turned out. Have to also factor in what free agents are going to be out there. I know that hasn't always worked out well for us, but I think if we had signed Hasselbeck we wouldn't be 3-3 right now. I just don't know if there's a guy like that who will be out there.

Given the following:

- Considering every single analysis and thier mother believe Luck is the second coming

- The way the leauge is taylored to the QB more than ever.

- Considering the talent level at the QB position for the browns

- Holgrem's recent comments.

- The revised CBA that changed the rookie pay scale.

Do you think he would consider selling the farm (draft picks and whatever talent we have) for Luck. Holgrem has been quoted as saying "It starts with the QB and until we have our guy we will continue to look for people at that position."

Common sense tells me that whoever gets the first pick would never consider trading it to any team, however, if it was a godfather offer, i.e. 1 & 2 for next two drafts and players, could we "trick" some team out of that pick?

I would try anything to get this years number one if my QB is not a playoff QB, and I am assuming that we all know who are playoff QBs in the league.

I put this in another thread, but I will post this here too. There has been no progress with Colt and Carolina was smart enough to go at QB again after the Clauson experiment failed. If Colt ends the season with his current level of play, would you try to sell the farm for Luck?

I wouldn't because you're basically giving up our entire draft for one guy and that's assuming that the team who finishes with the #1 pick would consider selling that pick.

I think we have too many holes to fill to give up the entire draft for one player.

Maybe Jason Campbell might not be a bad option at end of Season, if Palmer plays well once picks things up in Oakland. Believe Campbell is free agent, so use draft picks to get another good WR to add to Little and might be looking a lot better with just two more pieces in the Offense.

There isn't anyone in this year's forthcoming draft that I would prefer over Colt McCoy except Luck, and the Browns by winning 3 games already have already assured themselves of not getting him. The rest are a bunch of ham and eggers.

No, like I pointed out, there are about 8 other offensive positions and about 5-6 defensive positions that are a greater need for the Browns to solidify rather than QB at this point.

We need WRs, LBs, safeties, OL on the right side before we need to worry about another QB.

I don't disagree Gipper...but if Colt continues to struggle, what do we do at QB next year? Do we build up the rest of the team and go after an Orton or a Campbell or some other retread to come in and compete with Colt?

You follow the Steeler model. Despite having many idiot fans, the Steelers organization certainly knows what it is doing.

You build up the rest of that team, particularly the defense and running game. And you live with the QB you have. If the Steelers could live with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox while building up the championship caliber team, the Browns can live with Colt McCoy.

When they got BR as a rookie, they went 15-1. And BR in his first couple of years was a below average at best QB, but they went 15-1 and then won the SB.

If after another year or two and McCoy looks more like Maddox than Montana, then you bring in your franchise QB in the first round.

FYI, all the QBs that are expected to be at the top of the draft in 2012 could actually all stay in school for another year including Luck, Barkley, Landry Jone, Robert Griffin etc. etc. I doubt they all will, but they could. So we don't know who will be available in April 2013's draft.

I'm in favor of that plan rather than dumping most or all of our draft to try and move up to #1 to take Luck. As bad as Colt's looked, he's better than others that we've had and you're right with a running game and even better defense, he might be able to manage the game enough to win some games.

1: Nick Foles

2: Matt Barkley

3: Landry Jones

I would be fine with any of the three. I'd also pass on the RB/Wannabe QB Robert Griffen.

And none of them are as good in college as Colt McCoy was....so just to change to bring someone new in doesn't mean you actually improve.

Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M, converted from receiver to QB last year. Has only started about a season's worth of games, but has shown alot of potential. He'll need to be developed but has all the tools and pretty good accuracy 65% for only his second season at QB. You might be able to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round and you let him compete with Colt, but probably sits a year. That will allow you to further evaluate Colt, but still have a backup plan in development. If Colt works out, great, then you have an asset to trade. If not, you have a guy that will know the offense with all the tools.

They're better prospects with stronger arms than McFrye.

No they aren't. None of those guys was considered better than McCoy coming out of college.

And certainly as we all know, a stronger arm is irrelevent.

Mike Phipps had a stronger arm than Brian Sipe. Who was the better QB?

Vinny Testaverde had a stronger arm than Bernie Kosar. Who was the better QB?

Derek Anderson had a bazooka arm and a bubble gum brain.

Jamarcus Russel could throw the ball 80 yards from his knees.

So much for relying on mere arm strength..

The Browns need two immediate impact players from those first two picks next year. Qb is NOT one of those.

But, I can see drafting a guy in the second round, or third, if you find a kid you can develop behind Colt for a year or two.

Did you all see last nights game? Ratbirfds vs Jags? Those two qb's can't hold a candle to Colt - they make crap decisions,

and although Gabbert is a rookie, he doesn't have Colts' agility, mechanics, accuracy, or smarts.

The Jags won ugly. That's how the ratbirds and squeelers, and a lot of other teams... have won here and there.

The Browns' defense is #7 in the NFL was it? And Cincy, the stupid, ugly, stinkin ratbirfds and squeeeelers defenses are in the top six.

The Browns will NOT pick a qb in the first round, I think. Gip is right.

You follow the Steeler model. Despite having many idiot fans, the Steelers organization certainly knows what it is doing.

You build up the rest of that team, particularly the defense and running game. And you live with the QB you have. If the Steelers could live with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox while building up the championship caliber team, the Browns can live with Colt McCoy.

When they got BR as a rookie, they went 15-1. And BR in his first couple of years was a below average at best QB, but they went 15-1 and then won the SB.

If after another year or two and McCoy looks more like Maddox than Montana, then you bring in your franchise QB in the first round.

FYI, all the QBs that are expected to be at the top of the draft in 2012 could actually all stay in school for another year including Luck, Barkley, Landry Jone, Robert Griffin etc. etc. I doubt they all will, but they could. So we don't know who will be available in April 2013's draft.

It is funny you missed the Steeler model completely, especially the idiot fans part while ignoring how more ignorant our fans are, but , and the Steelers even wrote a book about it............................but that is why we Browns fans have lost all identilty with winning and continue year after year justtify a strategy of losing.......................and our management bought into to fans stupidity while Steeler Management just keeps doing what it takes to win...........................mostly opposite of Browns strategy

It is funny you missed the Steeler model completely, especially the idiot fans part while ignoring how more ignorant our fans are, but , and the Steelers even wrote a book about it............................but that is why we Browns fans have lost all identilty with winning and continue year after year justtify a strategy of losing.......................and our management bought into to fans stupidity while Steeler Management just keeps doing what it takes to win...........................mostly opposite of Browns strategy

Actually, it is YOU who has missed the Steeler model....i.e. the Steeler model of the 2000s, not the 1970s. That team had everything else IN PLACE, then plugged in the final piece at QB.

The 2005 Steelers could have won the SB with Pinochio as the QB....and fact, they virtually did. Now, that Pinochio went on later to become a real boy....i.e. a real QB...but their model was to build up an outstanding defense and run game, then worry about the passing attack as the last item on their agenda...and THAT is what the Steeler management did to win.

Sorry, but you seem to be lost in that fog out in San Fran over this.

Archived