THE BROWNS BOARD

Mmq: Peter King On Hardesty

bonedawg

We usually don't get much of a mention from national writers. Here are King's thoughts on our glorious running back situation.

FTA:

7. I think if I'm the Browns, I'm having serious questions about Montario Hardesty's ability to be the every-down running back. A win's a win, and Cleveland somehow beat Seattle in a slugfest, 6-3. But Hardesty (33 carries, 95 yards) was a plodder more than a runner Sunday, and had 20 carries of two yards or fewer. I wonder when was the last time a runner has rushed 20 times in a game, basically, ineffectively. At one point in the first half, here were Hardesty's rushes in succession: 1, minus-1, 1, 2, minus-1, two. I'm thinking the Browns should kiss and make up with Peyton Hillis.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/24/Week7/index.html#ixzz1biwbHa00

You think Peter King actually watched our game?

He's paid to stir crap up. Trust what YOU see, not these national columnists.

You didn't have to watch the game to know that Hardesty was lacking as a runner for 60% of his carries.

I did watch the game and while he had an occasional burst, it was pretty ugly to see someone run 33 times and NOT break 100 yards.

That said, it would be nice if he had some holes to run through.....

exactly. no blocking whatsoever. it seemed like colt was doing a fifteen step drop back on every play cuz the defenders just came right through the line without even a touch.

not a hillis hater but he better fix what's ailing him soon because if this coaching staff is willing to give the ball 33 times to hardesty and bring in ooga booga for some plays as well..........the ol' huckleberry has gotta be squirmin in his drawers just a tad.

exactly. no blocking whatsoever. it seemed like colt was doing a fifteen step drop back on every play cuz the defenders just came right through the line without even a touch.

not a hillis hater but he better fix what's ailing him soon because if this coaching staff is willing to give the ball 33 times to hardesty and bring in ooga booga for some plays as well..........the ol' huckleberry has gotta be squirmin in his drawers just a tad.

Huckleberry. That is a fitting nickname for Shurmur. Nice Job Mik.

Michael Lombardi (who used to work for the Browns) with his thoughts on NFL.com

» I hated watching the Seattle-Cleveland game as it was poorly played by both offenses. Tell me again, how did Seattle beat the Giants two weeks ago? That loss has to kill Giants fans after Seattle only scored three points on Cleveland. And each time Colt McCoy went back to pass, I kept wondering when the Browns will realize he is a good No. 2 QB, not a full-time starter capable of carrying the team. His inability to make plays down the field is more about him than a lack of playmakers. This was not a well-played game, and it was not much fun to watch.

I told you the Browns would win..

You have seattle who is notoriously bad after a bye..

then you have the recent trend of teams playing poorly after a bye.. All the non contact practices and not being allowed to practice for a few days..

Leave hardesty alone. He is coming off knee surgery. It take a full year to come back to full strength and explosiveness.

» I hated watching the Seattle-Cleveland game as it was poorly played by both offenses. Tell me again, how did Seattle beat the Giants two weeks ago? That loss has to kill Giants fans after Seattle only scored three points on Cleveland. And each time Colt McCoy went back to pass, I kept wondering when the Browns will realize he is a good No. 2 QB, not a full-time starter capable of carrying the team. His inability to make plays down the field is more about him than a lack of playmakers. This was not a well-played game, and it was not much fun to watch.

Mike Lombardi is a feckless f**k who always gives an opinion meant simply to rile somebody up and to demonstrate how he is in love with himself.

Mike Lombardi is a feckless f**k who always gives an opinion meant simply to rile somebody up and to demonstrate how he is in love with himself.

He may be a feckless f**k but he was correct about two things: The game was poorly played offensively on both sides and it was not fun to watch.

I was surprised to read all of these comments, and commentary by Mr. King, WITHOUT mentioning the fact that Hardesty ran up against the NUMBER 1 RUSHING DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE.

That being said, I do prefer Hillis. If he got 33 touches, he would have had more than 95 yards.

I haven't been able to see the last few Browns games with Hardesty being the primary RB because I have been at work but I do know that he hasn't put up starting RB numbers and has dropped several passes.

I do hope that we are able to figure things out with Hillis and that he can return to his form from last year but am also ready to accept that we may have to spend one of 1st round picks or our 2nd round pick on a RB.

Are we forgetting that Seattle's run D is one of the best in the league?

http://blog.seahawks.com/2011/10/20/thursday-in-hawkville-51/

"The run defense. Anyway you stack the stats, the Seahawks have been doing a good job of stopping the run. Entering Sunday’s game against the Browns in Cleveland, they are allowing 3.1 yards per carry to lead the NFL and rank seventh is average yards allowed per game (97.8)."

He may be a feckless f**k but he was correct about two things: The game was poorly played offensively on both sides and it was not fun to watch.

Was it poorly played....or was it just a well played by the defenses? I think a lot of it was very good defensive play.

And the Browns defense is one of the best in the league. Why all the wailing about the offense?

The defense had to be fixed. Those two picks, Taylor and Sheard? Defensive line switched to 4-3... fixed.

Well, except for another blue chippie cb... but Sheldon played a really nice game.

And undervaluing Mitchell on the dline is a mistake. Add a terrific shut down cb, and a great lb...

and this defense will be scary for years.

But the offense needs an OG and a OT. I don't care where they come from. Or the cb or lb for that matter...

Hardesty plays real tough, and has some nice speed. The dropped passes are a temporary disgrace...

but the offense line is seriously lacking on the right side.

What you have to realize, is that Lombardi hates the Browns, and anything or anyone associated with them....but he was right about the game not being much fun to watch.

I would like to say Peyton Hillis has averaged 3.5 yards per carry this year and Hardesty is 3.3 so I personally don't think it makes a difference. No one is blocking for anyone. I personally believe Hillis' selfish attitude is distracting the team with his "injuries" and now he's getting married. If I ran the team I'd cut him today for missing practice to get married. Give Hardesty the ball cause he has a better future here than Hillis.

And the Browns defense is one of the best in the league. Why all the wailing about the offense?

The defense had to be fixed. Those two picks, Taylor and Sheard? Defensive line switched to 4-3... fixed.

Well, except for another blue chippie cb... but Sheldon played a really nice game.

And undervaluing Mitchell on the dline is a mistake. Add a terrific shut down cb, and a great lb...

and this defense will be scary for years.

But the offense needs an OG and a OT. I don't care where they come from. Or the cb or lb for that matter...

Hardesty plays real tough, and has some nice speed. The dropped passes are a temporary disgrace...

but the offense line is seriously lacking on the right side.

Well said. Mitchell is underrated so far this season. Also, we are looking good defensively into the future with our best players on defense being the youngest (Haden, Ward, Sheard, Taylor, and even D'Qwell is only 28). A playmaking linebacker and a solid corner is all the further we are from one of the best defenses in the league. Also, we need a true #1 receiver with big play ability and the O-line needs serious help. As far as Hardesty goes, I think he did a great job Sunday. I keep hearing how his average was very low but Seattle has a great D and if he wasn't running the ball effectively why would Shurmur continue to give it to him? As far as the drops, they were all due to his lack of experience and I think he will become very good out of the backfield in the near future.

Archived