THE BROWNS BOARD

Can The Difference Between .50-.75 Seconds Determine A Good Qb And A Bad Qb?

Soju

Yeah, I'm bored.

SO:

I went back and timed Ben and Brady from the snap to when the ball left their hands. I did the same with Colt. Here's what I found:

Ben and Brady USUALLY got the ball off between 1.25-1:80 seconds.

Colt, on the other hand, consistently got the ball off between 2-2.5 seconds.

Now. There are TONS of variables. But I noticed Colt got scared around 2.5 seconds and tucked the ball to run or scramble on a broken play--is that the WR not getting open? Is that Colt not being sure of where he wants to go with the ball?

Ben and Brady seemed not to think. They got the ball off in a seconds notice. They looked VERY sure of themselves and where they wanted to go with the football.

Colt looked unsure and unconfident, and if the receiver wasn't open at the 2.5 second mark he panicked and took off--somewhat due to our o-line starting to break down.

Whose to blame: Colt for not getting the ball off quick enough, or the WR's not getting that early separation?

I don't think any of us know, because we don't have the camera view of the WRs during the play.

Just going off of what I saw and comparing it to two great QBs, I saw that Colt IS taking 1/2-3/4 seconds LONGER than Ben and Brady. Does that make a difference?

Who knows? You decide.

Is it the QB's fault, or the receivers?

I'm leaning QB.

But, if the there is nobody open to throw to then what is he going to do? 2.5 seconds is not a lot of time after the snap to drop back set up and check through and throw.

No excuses but keep in mind your comparing 2 of the best to basically a rookie.

This is the spirit of my post! WHO KNOWS if Colt is hesitating, holding onto the ball and second guessing himself, OR if it's because the WRs are not getting open?!

Remember, as I said, we don't know if the WRs are getting open or not because we don't have footage of the WRs during the actual play (unless you have behind the scenes tape that CBS neglected to use.)

This is the spirit of my post! WHO KNOWS if Colt is hesitating, holding onto the ball and second guessing himself, OR if it's because the WRs are not getting open?!

Remember, as I said, we don't know if the WRs are getting open or not because we don't have footage of the WRs during the actual play (unless you have behind the scenes tape that CBS neglected to use.)

True the video from the box that the teams use when watching "film" gives you such a different and better perspective than what you see on TV. Even the stills that you sometimes get a glimpse of from the sidelines shows you something different.

A WR getting open is most of the time just matter of a split second and only lasts a split second. If a QB has pressure on him o see pressure coming he is not going to see that moment when a receiver is open or will be open. The best QBs after spending time behind good O-lines start to sense when a WR will open even if they are under pressure and can throw the ball before the receiver even looks for it. Those timing patterns you always hear about. It takes time to get to that point, not 7 games with a new offense and a busted up o-line.

Heck, if I'm playing QB for our old flag team and I know your running a hook against a zone and the other team calls blitz I'm throwing the ball to where your going to be (assuming there is now RB outlet available)if your there and catch it I look great if your not I look like a chucker.

Another thing to consider is the amount of pressure Colt has had to deal with through the season.

That shortens a QB's internal clock, and they normally start trying to dump the ball off earlier or get skittish when they really don't need to be.

Look at Jay Cutler.

Archived