THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Mccoy Breakdown

marcus

There are good things to be had with Colt McCoy. I understand all the angst about the 12 years of suck we've all witnessed....well 10 if you consider the 9-7 and 10-6 seasons during that time. We are some delusional fans to expect a ton of Pro Bowlers, a division championship, much less a Super Bowl championship in a season where virtually there was no off season. Call them excuses if you must but, they are factors none the less. One thing I will say about Colt is he is committed to winning. He was last year as well...trouble is those "deer in headlights" looks I hear a lot of you speak of are probably in wonder on where the rest of his team is. I noticed the same looks against Pittsburgh last year the very last game of the season. He looked like he was out there by himself most of the time during that game. Enter the lock out. Instead of making excuses or dicking around like you'd see a Leinart or Young do......Colt did the following:

1. Got a copy of the new playbook in that narrow window he had to do it in.

2. Sought out help from one of the greatest in the West Coast System in Brett Favre (say what you will but the man is a legend...love him or hate him)

3. Put together team workouts and at least tried to introduce his offense to the new system.

*Can't coach these things and I've seen a few QB's with a lot more arm do a lot less.

The WCO is a whole different animal to learn. It's a very effective offense when run correctly (Execution and Play Calling are critical)

The WCO depends heavily on making the reads well before the ball is snapped. Once that happens the QB is supposed to throw to a spot....not directly to a receiver but a spot. It is the responsibility of the receiver to get to that spot. The problem is if the read is there but the receiver is not in position to make the catch it throws off the timing of the play. Well then you get a young QB into trouble because he now has to think about what to do next and by then the average 3 seconds to get rid of the ball is almost up. Also in that time frame, the defense has a chance to see not only the hot read (1st target) but also has time to get wise to the short routes which we seem to run an overabundance of. It'll seem that way until there is someone that can effectively run the routes as designed and Colt can worry about throwing to spots instead of over thinking. It also wouldn't hurt for the QB to have a working knowledge of the 2 and 3 options as well. With that said...if the same problem exists with those options turnovers and sacks are inevitable.

The over thinking part is caused by what I just explained and inexperience. I know I know...there are rookies playing better than Colt right now that are in the same boat and blah...blah...blah. Those rookies are not running the WCO and have the benefit of at least two play makers in their respective systems. Give Colt a full off season to learn this offense and bring in a play maker or two or three or ten and you're going to see some good things. It is critical to allow this thing to gel under a full off season and a team with a clean bill of health. It's also important to remember that the run is not abandoned in the WCO. There a lot of gaps that need to be stopped for this thing to really be as effective as advertised. I know the same tired song but this is the best chance I've seen for a turn around. The time has come to decide rather to have Colt carry the team, the RBs, or the Defense. That decision is up to the coaching staff and FO. Not the QB.

Great job !

But there are just some people who want to bash on one high profile player, or coach, and lay all the blame.

It never works to convince anybody, it's just so they can vent. Or, they can't think of two or three factors at one time....

Great job !

But there are just some people who want to bash on one high profile player, or coach, and lay all the blame.

It never works to convince anybody, it's just so they can vent. Or, they can't think of two or three factors at one time....

I hear ya bro. I understand where all of us are coming from. I gotta say it is fun looking at the colorful characters on here. It's downright hysterical at times. Not trying to convince anyone just pointing out a few facts and interjecting my two cents afterwards. I have fun posting on here and discussing football with all of you. I think some of us should switch to decaf but the again.....what fun would that be?

There are good things to be had with Colt McCoy. I understand all the angst about the 12 years of suck we've all witnessed....well 10 if you consider the 9-7 and 10-6 seasons during that time. We are some delusional fans to expect a ton of Pro Bowlers, a division championship, much less a Super Bowl championship in a season where virtually there was no off season. Call them excuses if you must but, they are factors none the less. One thing I will say about Colt is he is committed to winning. He was last year as well...trouble is those "deer in headlights" looks I hear a lot of you speak of are probably in wonder on where the rest of his team is. I noticed the same looks against Pittsburgh last year the very last game of the season. He looked like he was out there by himself most of the time during that game. Enter the lock out. Instead of making excuses or dicking around like you'd see a Leinart or Young do......Colt did the following:

1. Got a copy of the new playbook in that narrow window he had to do it in.

2. Sought out help from one of the greatest in the West Coast System in Brett Favre (say what you will but the man is a legend...love him or hate him)

3. Put together team workouts and at least tried to introduce his offense to the new system.

*Can't coach these things and I've seen a few QB's with a lot more arm do a lot less.

The WCO is a whole different animal to learn. It's a very effective offense when run correctly (Execution and Play Calling are critical)

The WCO depends heavily on making the reads well before the ball is snapped. Once that happens the QB is supposed to throw to a spot....not directly to a receiver but a spot. It is the responsibility of the receiver to get to that spot. The problem is if the read is there but the receiver is not in position to make the catch it throws off the timing of the play. Well then you get a young QB into trouble because he now has to think about what to do next and by then the average 3 seconds to get rid of the ball is almost up. Also in that time frame, the defense has a chance to see not only the hot read (1st target) but also has time to get wise to the short routes which we seem to run an overabundance of. It'll seem that way until there is someone that can effectively run the routes as designed and Colt can worry about throwing to spots instead of over thinking. It also wouldn't hurt for the QB to have a working knowledge of the 2 and 3 options as well. With that said...if the same problem exists with those options turnovers and sacks are inevitable.

The over thinking part is caused by what I just explained and inexperience. I know I know...there are rookies playing better than Colt right now that are in the same boat and blah...blah...blah. Those rookies are not running the WCO and have the benefit of at least two play makers in their respective systems. Give Colt a full off season to learn this offense and bring in a play maker or two or three or ten and you're going to see some good things. It is critical to allow this thing to gel under a full off season and a team with a clean bill of health. It's also important to remember that the run is not abandoned in the WCO. There a lot of gaps that need to be stopped for this thing to really be as effective as advertised. I know the same tired song but this is the best chance I've seen for a turn around. The time has come to decide rather to have Colt carry the team, the RBs, or the Defense. That decision is up to the coaching staff and FO. Not the QB.

What I want to know is why McCoy gets a "pass" when we have other young QB's in the NFL that are doing quite well, such as Dalton in Cincy. He's a rookie and has only played a half season. McCoy sucks and is very similar to Quinn. He's a backup at best. Always an excuse "homers" out there when players are hyped up then do poorly!!

What I want to know is why McCoy gets a "pass" when we have other young QB's in the NFL that are doing quite well, such as Dalton in Cincy. He's a rookie and has only played a half season. McCoy sucks and is very similar to Quinn. He's a backup at best. Always an excuse "homers" out there when players are hyped up then do poorly!!

Because the WCO requires much more out of a QB than say Cinci's system. Cincy has more than two play makers that change the dynamic of Dalton's play. Cincy's line is healthier and playing better than ours. I explained these points in the opening post had you read it all and not stopped reading the moment you got a hard on for someone that's not already on the banish McCoy bandwagon. The WCO is a very effective offense but it's one of the most complicated systems in the NFL to run as a QB and to Coach as a coach. It's hard to watch them execute poorly I'll give you that but you're talking about a rookie in an offensive system that has been in place for a little over 10 years so I expect Marvin Lewis be able to better advise Dalton than Shurmur to advise Colt no off season or not. It's not homerism to not expect a 10+ win team out of a young QB in a brand new and complex system add to that a brand new head coach that's common fuggin' sense. If he sucks next year after a complete off season and a healthy team and hopefully a few play makers I'll double fist a torch and pitchfork right next to you. Until then I'll support the kid. That's my take...like it...hate it...doesn't matter to me just the way I see it friend.

Cincy is running a WCO now under Jay Gruden, who they just brought in this year. Cincy does have far more talent and weapons on O.

Yes there are young QBs doing great (Cam) and doing good (Dalton). There are also young guys now struggling such as Bradford before he was hurt. Dalton is 7 games into his career. People might want to wait and see how he looks after teams get more and more film on him.

Cincy is running a WCO now under Jay Gruden, who they just brought in this year. Cincy does have far more talent and weapons on O.

Yes there are young QBs doing great (Cam) and doing good (Dalton). There are also young guys now struggling such as Bradford before he was hurt. Dalton is 7 games into his career. People might want to wait and see how he looks after teams get more and more film on him.

Ah good point. I forgot that Jay Gruden now runs the offense in Cincy. Just the same...they're a lot better off talent wise as you and I pointed out. Time will tell rather or not he is the real deal. Thanks for the correction without being a total blowhard.

Nobody is giving McCoy a "pass", Dawg08. You would know why, if you researched a bit.

Dalton has what McCoy doesn't get to work with - I figure the Browns defense will dominate the interior of

the Bengals offensive line next time they play them. McCoy is getting killed from Tony Pashos' side of the line,

and so are a lot of running plays..... etc etc. The Browns have never? drafted a RT at all, since '99.

Other teams do. It works. Palmer is no slouch, but he was getting beaten up. Look who thei

wr's were. And yes, the Bengals had both OT's in place, before they drafted a qb.:angry:

solid, dependable, very good bookend offensive tackles:

Left Tackle

Andrew Whitworth #77 Tackle Cincinnati Bengals Team Home

Height: 6-7 Weight: 335

Born: Dec 12, 1981 - Monroe, LA

College: LSU

Draft: 2006 - 2nd round (23rd pick) by the Cincinnati Bengals

RIGHT TACKLE

Andre Smith #71 Tackle Cincinnati Bengals Team Home

NewsTeam ReportBlogsScores & ScheduleStatsRosterDepth ChartTransactionsPhotosHeight: 6-4 Weight: 335

Born: Jan 25, 1987 - Birmingham, AL

College: Alabama

Draft: 2009 - 1st round (6th pick) by the Cincinnati Bengals

Bobbie Williams #63 Guard Cincinnati Bengals Team Home

NewsTeam ReportBlogsScores & ScheduleStatsRosterDepth ChartTransactionsPhotosHeight: 6-4 Weight: 345

Born: Sep 25, 1976 - Jefferson, TX

College: Arkansas

Draft: 2000 - 2nd round (30th pick) by the Philadelphia Eagles

Why is Dalton looking good? Take a look at the teams he has faced. None of these D's strike much fear in a QB's heart.

Cleveland

Denver

SAN FRANCISCO

BUFFALO

Jacksonville

INDIANAPOLIS

Seattle

Wait until he gets a taste of Baltimore and Pittsburgh then we'll revisit Dalton vs McCoy.

I'm rooting for McCoy. We can win with him.

It sucks to have to be patient. I've been a fan since 1970, and patience is thin now; but, I say our O-line is setting us back (no Steinbach, no RT), and Ghoolie is right, we need PLAYMAKERS.

We're going to be drafting in the top 10 again, and hopefully Atlanta will underachieve, and we get their pick around 15. Get the playmaker (WR) on O, grab a stud OLB...bingo, we're competitive (assuming H & H fix the O-line in FA).

Dalton: 1479 yards, 62% completion, 9 TDs, 7 INTs

McCoy: 1618 yards, 57% completion, 9 TDs, 5 INTs

So Dalton is playing a lot better?! The only difference is the Bengals are 5-2, and the Browns are 3-4. Don't let overall record cloud your judgement. A.J. Green is the big difference, not McCoy vs. Dalton..

I really like McCoy's competitive spirit and wouldn't give up on him. However, I would also draft a QB with my first pick of the 2012 draft. The new QB wouldn't start until 2013 and only if I saw no progress with McCoy.

Archived