THE BROWNS BOARD

Hillis And Browns

tampadawgs

With contract discussions between the Cleveland Browns and Peyton Hillis still ongoing, reports are now circulating that the team has offered the running back a three-year contract extension that would be worth $16.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.

WOIO’s Tony Zarella, sports director of Cleveland’s 19 Action News, is reporting that the Browns’ offer is very similar to that of linebacker Chris Gocong, who signed a three-year extension a little over one month ago. The version offered to Hillis would pay the running back $4 million in the first year, $4.5 in the second and $5 million in the third with a signing bonus of $3 million that would be fully guaranteed.

With contract discussions between the Cleveland Browns and Peyton Hillis still ongoing, reports are now circulating that the team has offered the running back a three-year contract extension that would be worth $16.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.

WOIO’s Tony Zarella, sports director of Cleveland’s 19 Action News, is reporting that the Browns’ offer is very similar to that of linebacker Chris Gocong, who signed a three-year extension a little over one month ago. The version offered to Hillis would pay the running back $4 million in the first year, $4.5 in the second and $5 million in the third with a signing bonus of $3 million that would be fully guaranteed.

Didn't he want somewhere in the vicinity of 5 yr/$40 million? I'm too lazy to look it up, but I thought I remembered reading that.

If that's the case, Hillis won't be back next year after getting this offer.

IMO, good riddance. It's too hard for a player to concentrate with an agent in his ear.

It looks pretty good to me.

The reality is 7 mil is guaranteed. Unless something terrible happens he will get that first years salary, and if something really terrible happened, knowing how the Lerners have operated in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if we paid the contract in full.

Take it or get the fck out. We need players who want to help the team and not ME ME ME. Hillis used to be humble but it doesn't seem so any more.

He'd be a fool not to take it. I can't see that many teams offering much more for a 1 year wonder so far.

I love hillis but i understand the business side as well and hillis simply has not done enough to prove he is worth more than a 3 year contract worth 15m..

If he wants more than that this boneheaded regime needs to trade him instead of letting him walk..

I would add a 3 yr/15m contract would need to be laden with some heavy incentives to even bigger payouts though..

He should fire his douchebag agent and take the offer. It's job security while he plays for his next contract.

Browns could throw some escalators in there for production.

Zombo

Every player on the Browns should be given an escalator of $2 million if they make the playoffs and win at least one game. $5 million if they win the Super Bowl.

Hillis is embroiled in another controversy after allegedly failing to show up for a promoted appearance at the Cleveland Boys and Girls Club on Monday night.

Former Browns lineman LeCharles Bentley, who is on the club's board, secured a commitment from Hillis' brother and business agent to appear at a Halloween party at the club on Broadway, said a source. A press release promoting Hillis' appearance was distributed to media on Friday.

More than 40 boys and girls, some of whom were bused in from other clubs, were on hand, another source said.

Hillis was also scheduled to appear on Bentley's Internet radio show.

On Monday night, Bentley wrote on his Twitter account: "Peyton Hillis looking for 10mil guaranteed from Browns and can't show up to kids charity event? #ManPlease."

The issue became a topic on the sports radio talk show circuit all day on Tuesday.

Bentley declined to comment on Tuesday. A text message to Hillis' agent asking for comment was not returned.

Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis had no comment and pointed out, via email, that the appearance was scheduled and promoted "independently of the Browns and our Community Outreach Department."

The Madden curse is real. The first time in the Madden curse history it's fooked someone's brain up.

Take it or get the fck out. We need players who want to help the team and not ME ME ME. Hillis used to be humble but it doesn't seem so any more.

I am starting to come around in thinking this too. Now I am not sure Hillis' intelligence, but I am sure his fag agent is pulling on his ego strings.

Hillis is embroiled in another controversy after allegedly failing to show up for a promoted appearance at the Cleveland Boys and Girls Club on Monday night.

Former Browns lineman LeCharles Bentley, who is on the club's board, secured a commitment from Hillis' brother and business agent to appear at a Halloween party at the club on Broadway, said a source. A press release promoting Hillis' appearance was distributed to media on Friday.

More than 40 boys and girls, some of whom were bused in from other clubs, were on hand, another source said.

Hillis was also scheduled to appear on Bentley's Internet radio show.

On Monday night, Bentley wrote on his Twitter account: "Peyton Hillis looking for 10mil guaranteed from Browns and can't show up to kids charity event? #ManPlease."

The issue became a topic on the sports radio talk show circuit all day on Tuesday.

Bentley declined to comment on Tuesday. A text message to Hillis' agent asking for comment was not returned.

Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis had no comment and pointed out, via email, that the appearance was scheduled and promoted "independently of the Browns and our Community Outreach Department."

The Madden curse is real. The first time in the Madden curse history it's fooked someone's brain up.

Man. Wow. Hillis is losing some major points with me now after reading this. He's turning into a prick.

I'm starting to wonder if he just wants out of Cleveland, to go to a team with a solid oline. @@

But, missing that Boys and Girls Club? I want to know who is agent is, so I can despise him, too.

Let him go, then, and draft a great one next draft. I can't make Hillis any excuses now. That was a dirtbag move.

I also wonder why Hillis dumped two other agents before, and went ...with this one.....

...wait a minute, it's coming to me....:angry:

What happened to this guy? What is he thinking playing games like this. He has really hurting himself if he thinks these stunts will help him get what he wants from the Browns or anyone else for that matter. Other teams will not be willing to give big money to a RB who takes himself out of games and misses multiple games because of a strain.

I think he'd be much better off going out and playing for what he think he's worth. Address the contract in the off season rather it's with the Browns or not. Either way he's making himself look bad by pulling this stuff he's putting down. He's killing whatever marketability he has with every team not just the Browns.

@WillBurge Peyton Hillis said hes sorry about the charity event & said there was a miscommunication between him & his management #Browns

I would have to assume this is the reason, because he not only missed the charity even but a radio show in the same night. That's why you don't hire family for your management positions.

WOIO's Tony Zarella, sports director of Cleveland's 19 Action News, is reporting that the Browns' offer is very similar to that of linebacker Chris Gocong, who signed a three-year extension a little over one month ago. The version offered to Hillis would pay the running back $4 million in the first year, $4.5 in the second and $5 million in the third with a signing bonus of $3 million that would be fully guaranteed.

after Friday's reinjury of his hammy i think he should seriously consider taking this offer. he is still young and has fairly low miles. and, it's a fair offer after only one year of solid production...although if Gocong is worth18 MIL, Hillis is too.

as mentioned, maybe some escalators will get his pen to paper.

From NFL dot com: "The Plain Dealer reported Saturday, citing league sources, that the Browns are preparing to move on without RB Peyton Hillis after this season."

Hillis' erratic behavior:

“People you talk to who are close to Peyton Hillis and knew him in Denver say his behavior in the locker room in Cleveland is similar to what happened in Denver — one of the reasons why Denver wanted to trade him. It was inconsistent, always off the wall a little bit. I think ultimately Cleveland is seeing that, and that’s why they’re backing out of doing a deal right now.”

My take:

To compete with the Steelers, the Browns should learn some lessons from them first.

1. No contract negotiations during the season of play.

I dunno when the Steelers adopted this rule, but it seems to go back a long time, and it seems to have served them well.

All deals are done before opening day and no contract talks are allowed until the season is over, and the Steelers season always seems to extend several weeks beyond the Browns season for some reason, I dunno why. But maybe one of the reasons is that there are never any contract-talk distractions.

after Friday's reinjury of his hammy i think he should seriously consider taking this offer. he is still young and has fairly low miles. and, it's a fair offer after only one year of solid production...although if Gocong is worth18 MIL, Hillis is too.

as mentioned, maybe some escalators will get his pen to paper.

If I was the Browns, I would rescind all offers and be ready to draft two RB's next year something we have never done with conviction for many years and try to get an offensive gamer from one, futher I would draft two WRS as well hoping for the same results

Hillis is done, a one demensional player with limited skills and now exposed as a self absorbed greedy not so smart person

or we can do our MO draft two OL guys and two DL guys and hope we can get a TD next year

Ghoolie said, I get it, we both get it, when is the Herd gonna stop eating cow pies

Archived