THE BROWNS BOARD

Hillis Is Gone

why cant we win

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/11/cleveland_browns_peyton_hillis_9.html

BEREA, Ohio — The Browns are near the end of their rope with running back Peyton Hillis and are prepared to let him walk in free agency after this season, NFL sources said.

At this point, it would take a dramatic turnaround in behavior and production for Hillis to persuade the Browns to re-sign him when he becomes a free agent in March.

"It's one thing after another, and what's been out there isn't even the half of it," one source said.

And now, Hillis is expected to miss at least a couple of more games after re-injuring his hamstring in practice Friday afternoon. Hillis had an MRI on Friday, and it showed a significant strain to his left hamstring. Hillis got hurt in the first 15 minutes of practice, which was open to the media.

On a run up the middle, Hillis came up limping and grabbed the back of his left leg. In dramatic fashion, he spiked the ball and then whipped his helmet to the ground.

Hillis limped off the field and stood hunched over in pain. Then he spent time talking to a trainer with his head down and his hands on his hips. Within a few minutes, he limped halfway toward the fieldhouse, stopped and was examined by the trainers.

He's listed as questionable on the official injury report but is not expected to play Sunday in Houston. Chris Ogbonnaya will replace him in the starting lineup, and newly signed Thomas Clayton will serve as a third-down back.

"I'm sure if [Hillis] can't play this week, he'll be frustrated by that, but the key is to do everything in his power to get healthy so he can play," said coach Pat Shurmur.

After everything that's transpired with Hillis this season, some of the players weren't sure what to make of the dramatic display. "But the injury is legit," a source said.

Browns quarterback Seneca Wallace confirmed a report on Yahoo Sports and in The Plain Dealer that the players are tired of some of Hillis' antics. Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports first reported that some of the players talked to Hillis on Wednesday about his recent actions. A source told The Plain Dealer that it was the Browns' "regular leadership group," which includes Hillis. They stayed after their meeting with Shurmur to confront and support Hillis.

The players were annoyed that Hillis spent most of pregame warm-ups in San Francisco -- despite being ruled inactive for the second straight week with the hamstring -- throwing passes from midfield to the crossbar alongside third-string quarterback Thad Lewis.

"It was a bad look," one veteran Browns player told Silver. "And it did not sit well with any of us."

Said Wallace: "Yes, it did get on some people's nerves that he was throwing balls when he was injured. But at the end of the day, it's his last name on the back of his jersey, and he has to decide how he wants to represent himself."

Wallace also confirmed a report by The Plain Dealer that players were upset Hillis went to Arkansas to get married last Tuesday instead of coming in for treatment. He practiced Wednesday and then sat out the rest of the week, including the Niners game. For comparison's sake, cornerback Joe Haden underwent eight hours of treatment on his knee some days to get ready for the Seattle game Oct. 23.

"Of course we're going to be a little upset if Peyton's not in there getting his treatment," said Wallace. "We're a team, and we rely on each other. But if he felt he wanted to go get married that day, that's his business. You never really know what a person is going through. You don't know what type of influences a person might have. I don't know the stuff that Peyton has going on in his life."

Wallace acknowledged that Hillis doesn't seem to be the same person he was last season when he rushed for 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns.

"I think everybody's noticed a little bit of a change in him, but he could have some family issues or something," said Wallace. "Maybe his priorities have changed. We have a whole new staff, so a lot of things have changed. Maybe some of it's overblown."

A source said Hillis was recently late to a team meeting on top of his other erratic behaviors. On Monday night, he missed a scheduled appearance at the Boys and Girls Club of Cleveland's Halloween party and issued an apology Wednesday. He attributed it to not receiving the right information from his brother and business manager, Kyle Hillis, and not realizing the importance of the event. He also promised to make it up.

Hillis' star-crossed season began with unsuccessful negotiations to extend his contract -- negotiations which broke off recently. Browns President Mike Holmgren said recently the Browns would try to re-sign Hillis in free agency, but that's now in serious doubt. Then came the strep throat that led him to miss the Dolphins game in Week 3 upon the advice of his agent. A league source confirmed some players did not appreciate Hillis listening to his agent and taking himself out before the game. By the time he missed the San Francisco game, some wondered just how hurt he really was -- especially watching him launch those passes from midfield.

One veteran Browns player told Silver: "I've never seen anything like it. Last year, Peyton was such a positive, inspirational force on our team -- but now he's like a different guy. It's like he's in a funk that he can't get out of, and it's killing us, because we really need him. And we've told him that. But we're at the point where we just don't know what to do."

Another confided he thinks Browns management failed to support Hillis at a time when he's apparently mentally fragile.

Another said: "The organization is not going to reward a guy they think is moping or acting out or going about it the wrong way, just out of principle, and because of the message it sends to younger guys. And I totally understand that."

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert told Yahoo Sports, "The guys we did sign [to big contracts], those are the guys we feel are ultimate team guys who want to be here."

Isn't it awesome how some people just love to pat them selves on the back... come on it gets so boring!

at the same time, how many times can 1 guy be right and not be respected or recognized for it?

ghoolie may be over zealous (or not, depending on how much kool-aid you drink) with his statements, but 90+% of the time he's right.

how do you argue with that?

i've pointed out many times before that the tired cycle of browns fans is one of the reasons the franchise dosen't improve itself the way others have (no need to list them is there?). the bringing in of some mediocre FA plus another top 10 draft pick results in all of the fans having enormously overblown expectations, a sub .500 season results with fans hearts being broken yet again with an early end to the season only to have the same cycle repeat again and fans chirping about the next messiah to come to town. part of what puts pressure on a FO to produce a decent product (team) is the fan base's financial support. honestly it's a testemate to how loyal and supportive (or how big of kool-aid addicts they are) browns fans are that their FO feels comfortable with marching out one putrid team after another. a season of a half-full stadium and merchandice sales dropping 75% would send a FIRM message that browns fans simply won't accept another 20yrs of ineptitude.

maybe then the FO will find a way to draft better, get the right coaches, and the skill players they need to become the team they could be.

just my 2 cents.

at the same time, how many times can 1 guy be right and not be respected or recognized for it?

ghoolie may be over zealous (or not, depending on how much kool-aid you drink) with his statements, but 90+% of the time he's right.

i've pointed out many times before that the tired cycle of browns fans is one of the reasons the franchise dosen't improve itself the way others have (no need to list them is there?). the bringing in of some mediocre FA plus another top 10 draft pick results in all of the fans having enormously overblown expectations, a sub .500 season results with fans hearts being broken yet again with an early end to the season only to have the same cycle repeat again and fans chirping about the next messiah to come to town. part of what puts pressure on a FO to produce a decent product (team) is the fan base's financial support. honestly it's a testemate to how loyal and supportive (or how big of kool-aid addicts they are) browns fans are that their FO feels comfortable with marching out one putrid team after another. a season of a half-full stadium and merchandice sales dropping 75% would send a FIRM message that browns fans simply won't accept another 20yrs of ineptitude.

maybe then the FO will find a way to draft better, get the right coaches, and the skill players they need to become the team they could be.

just my 2 cents.

They will just relocate to Los Angeles :). Intelligence is not something you develop through hard work. You are either intelligent or you are not.

They will just relocate to Los Angeles :). Intelligence is not something you develop through hard work. You are either intelligent or you are not.

Nah, the Jaguars will beat them to it. This "don't support a losing team" argument doesn't work anymore. You have it right- don't show, and the owner just moves the team to greener pastures. Hell, we supported the team fanatically, and Modell still pulled the rug out from under us.

just my 2 cents.

Because he's damn obnoxious about being right. I think he's suffered about 4 broken arms and a torn rotator cuff for patting himself on the back too vigorously.

Isn't it awesome how some people just love to pat them selves on the back... come on it gets so boring!

Maybe, if just a few of the herd would step up like men and start patting people on the back for being correctomundo, those correctomundo few folks would graciously accept the adulation with great thanks

I am sure us few folks willing the face the herd and take them on and be correct do not appreciate getting peed on by the herd for being good at football judgement and providing astute insight

Thus the few who repeatedly get it right, enjoy patting themselves on the back, someone has to award those who get it, else the Herd WINS, and we can unanimously glad hand overselves in losing

Gaafreleets, you are a pleasant refreshing surpirse and thanks for defending Ghoolie, how did you resist swilling the cool aid by the gallon poured over you by the herd?

It's just plain dumb to be negative about every freakin thing, and then claim some kind of genius for it, when

anything goes wrong. I guess it's the only way of being right that certain people have....

Too bad. When the Browns starting winning big time... they will surely leave the forum for al long while.....

It's just plain dumb to be negative about every freakin thing, and then claim some kind of genius for it, when

anything goes wrong. I guess it's the only way of being right that certain people have....

Too bad. When the Browns starting winning big time... they will surely leave the forum for al long while.....

Honestly what is there to be happy about? We have about 5 players that are real football talents.

I'm all for being positive but what is there to be positive about? This season is a complete disaster and watching the offense is like forcing someone to watch their parents have sex. Its disgusting.

Maybe, if just a few of the herd would step up like men and start patting people on the back for being correctomundo, those correctomundo few folks would graciously accept the adulation with great thanks

I am sure us few folks willing the face the herd and take them on and be correct do not appreciate getting peed on by the herd for being good at football judgement and providing astute insight

Thus the few who repeatedly get it right, enjoy patting themselves on the back, someone has to award those who get it, else the Herd WINS, and we can unanimously glad hand overselves in losing

Gaafreleets, you are a pleasant refreshing surpirse and thanks for defending Ghoolie, how did you resist swilling the cool aid by the gallon poured over you by the herd?

Jesus dude, that is a lot of man juice chugging going on.

I'm almost glad my father passed away so he doesn't have to see this bullshit that Hillis is pulling. The guy let it get to his head in one year.

I'm wondering if he doesn't suffer from borderline personality disorder.

So why your big block of data a huge picture of Hillis until about a frew days ago

maybe yu need to honor your dad and do a GIANT MEA CULPA for all you have done detrimental and useless for some time, while pounding your chest.................sometimes admitting yiou been a dope and adulatting those who got it, is the the thing to do, but yu can spin your dad in his grave and deny reality or doing what is right

Hiliis never was and never has been anything but average..............................guys like you made nothing into a hero

Because I admired the person Hillis was last year, as did my father.

He was a hard-nosed runner who did his job every week and thanked God for his abilities. Seemed like a down to Earth guy.

He was the brightest spot the Browns had last season. Just because you're a whining blowhard doesn't mean you were right about Hillis. Throw enough shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Because I admired the person Hillis was last year, as did my father.

He was a hard-nosed runner who did his job every week and thanked God for his abilities. Seemed like a down to Earth guy.

He was the brightest spot the Browns had last season. Just because you're a whining blowhard doesn't mean you were right about Hillis. Throw enough shit at the wall and see what sticks.

liked your post as did your dad. Keep in mind some of the stuff you said previously, and do remember, we are all just people who have opinions, all who have opinions, sometines it is better to accept those whom disagree with you and choose to say no, the worst is to attempt to condemn those who go against the herd, and yet proven correct, get abused

you can now become a true Browns fan, I think your dad would like that

liked your post as did your dad. Keep in mind some of the stuff you said previously, and do remember, we are all just people who have opinions, all who have opinions, sometines it is better to accept those whom disagree with you and choose to say no, the worst is to attempt to condemn those who go against the herd, and yet proven correct, get abused

you can now become a true Browns fan, I think your dad would like that

+1

I agree. Things may get heated or personal, but it's only because we're all so passionate about the subject.

It would be much worse if every response was a meek "Meh, whatever." post.

Hiliis never was and never has been anything but average..............................guys like you made nothing into a hero

But yet you want everyone on this board to do the same exact thing for you........make nothing into a hero....congrats you were right. I've seen many posts from many people on here where they said something that was correctomundo, but I haven't seen many of em cryin about people not suckin they're cock for it like you two do. Ya just come across as douche's.

I agree! You could be the smartest football person on this board.... but as soon as you stand up and point to your self and proclaim "look at me I predicted this.... I was right" you sound like my wife!

Dude.... is is so below you because you really have valid football knowledge but.... as soon as you say "I told you so" I tune you out....like my wife! Grow up!

I will respect Tom when he starts admitting he blew it big time on some of his prognostications- like how many times has he predicted the Browns getting blown out this year and been dead wrong?

Ya know there are very few players that are in themselves truly elite, football is a team sport and when one player is really good at something he can make a much lesser player in another position suddenly look good and can even inspire the whole team..

Vickers was a very good blocker that often gave hillis the opportunity to get his slow ass moving at full speed and once hillis is moving at full speed he can be dangerous, extremely dangerous actually..

But the way it stands now without vickers he is average with durability concerns letting vickers walk was a huge mistake by heckert and letting hillis walk instead of trading for anything will be an even huger mistake..

I lose more respect for this boneheaded bumbling ass regime almost everyday..

Archived