THE BROWNS BOARD

Hypothetical - A New Football Team In The City

BrownIndian

The Minnesota Vikings seem likely to move to LA because the city is not supporting their stadium plans. The Jaguars attendance levels make it seem like they are another team to relocate.

Given that situation. Would you guys like it if any of those two teams come to Cleveland ? Would you guys support it ? Also would you like it if this Cleveland Browns relocated to another city ?

I know the Modell Browns were a different team and meant a lot to the City and while the team moved to a different city the history and the legacy was left in Cleveland.

Do you guys think that this "new" Browns team is a continuation of that history, or just an expansion team that has nothing to do with the old team except in terms of the uniform colors and fortunate enough to have the old illustrious history tagged to them ?

You can't make the Browns leave Cleveland. That is first and formost. Also Cleveland doesn't have the media market to add a second team to the city. The only places that I think can pull this off are NYC (They already do), Chicago (They at least do in the MLB, an d LA (Don't have any teams at the moment but could easily add two). Small cities like Cleveland just don't have the ability to house two teams.

You can't make the Browns leave Cleveland. That is first and formost. Also Cleveland doesn't have the media market to add a second team to the city. The only places that I think can pull this off are NYC (They already do), Chicago (They at least do in the MLB, an d LA (Don't have any teams at the moment but could easily add two). Small cities like Cleveland just don't have the ability to house two teams.

What if the current team relocates to LA and the Jags or the Vikings com here ?

When Modell moved, I advocated letting the name Browns die a peacefull and respectable death.

I warned that the love for the old Browns would give the new owner a free pass for many years to come and that no matter how shitty teh team was, the fans would embrace it, just out of sheer hate for Modell. That, and the fear of having to eat crow because Modell was a better owner than Lerner.

Let's be honest. He is a better owner.

Had Lerner's team been named, say, The Cleveland Mauraders for example, they wouldn't have in herited immediate support. Lerner would have had to build a winner and earn fan loyalty, just the way Modell did.

Naming this team the Browns was a mistake from day one.

That is true. If this team was named something other than the Browns perhaps it would put more pressure on the owner to earn his butter and bread.

When Modell moved, I advocated letting the name Browns die a peacefull and respectable death.

I warned that the love for the old Browns would give the new owner a free pass for many years to come and that no matter how shitty teh team was, the fans would embrace it, just out of sheer hate for Modell. That, and the fear of having to eat crow because Modell was a better owner than Lerner.

Let's be honest. He is a better owner.

Had Lerner's team been named, say, The Cleveland Mauraders for example, they wouldn't have in herited immediate support. Lerner would have had to build a winner and earn fan loyalty, just the way Modell did.

Naming this team the Browns was a mistake from day one.

Well that's an interesting way to view it. Does that mean you think it should have been the Baltimore Browns? Or should the name just have been retired?

I also love the old-school type look of the uniform and helmet the Browns wear. I'm not sure I could have supported a team with completely different colors and a logo. I realize there isn't much of a rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh right now, but it would never ever be the same if the team ditched the Browns name..

Well that's an interesting way to view it. Does that mean you think it should have been the Baltimore Browns? Or should the name just have been retired?

I also love the old-school type look of the uniform and helmet the Browns wear. I'm not sure I could have supported a team with completely different colors and a logo. I realize there isn't much of a rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh right now, but it would never ever be the same if the team ditched the Browns name..

Very interesting. So perhaps this means that you are associating this new team with new owners/players/system and everything and pretending them to be the heir or continuation of the old Browns team that you adore ?

So - If this Browns move to LA and call themselves something else and if the Jags move here with the new owners/players and management and call themselves the Browns - Will the support be the same for this new team ?

Very interesting. So perhaps this means that you are associating this new team with new owners/players/system and everything and pretending them to be the heir or continuation of the old Browns team that you adore ?

So - If this Browns move to LA and call themselves something else and if the Jags move here with the new owners/players and management and call themselves the Browns - Will the support be the same for this new team ?

I honestly don't know. I'm not sure I could handle moving the team again..

Archived