THE BROWNS BOARD

Statistical Potpourri

The Gipper

Here are just some random statistics that may have interest to some of you:

The Rams are -111 in point differential this year, second worse only to the Colts at -155. The Browns are -51

The Giants are 6-2 in first place in the NFCN, but have only a +14 pt. differential. The Eagles at 3-5 are +21 in pt. diff.!

Every team in the AFCWest has a negative point differential.

Top 6 teams in fewest points per game allowed: 1. 49ers 2. Ravens 3. Texans 4. Bengals 5. Steelers 6. Lions. Browns are 12th in fewest ppg allowed

Top defenses in Yards allowed per game: 1. Texans 2. Ravens 3. Steelers 4. Bengals 5. Jags 6. Browns

Top defenses in Yards passing allowed per game: 1. Browns 2. Texans 3. Steelers 4. Ravens 5. Lions. Bengals are 10th

Worst teams in points per game scored: 32. Jags 31. Rams 30. Colts 29. Browns 28. Seahawks

The Browns are 30th in total yards per game gained on offense. They are 31st in rushing ypg.

The Odd thing though is that the Browns have converted the 5th most 3rd downs in the league, behind the Saints, Texans, Chargers, and Steelers.

The Browns are 10th best in 3rd down conversion percentage.

The #32 and worst team in kickoff coverage return: The Ravens 34.3 avg.

The Browns are 7th in the NFL in punt return average.

Colt McCoys average yards per attempt: 5.7. Tim Tebow: 5.5

McCoy is 19th in total passing yards

McCoy has mor TD passes this year than Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, Blaine Gabbert, and Sam Bradford, among others

McCoy is 7th in the league in the number of times he has been sacked...tied with Aaron Rogers. Sam Bradford is 3rd in being sacked the most. #1: Ben Roethlisberger

"The Rams are -111 in point differential this year, second worse only to the Colts at -155. The Browns are -51"

This one blows my mind, wow. The Rams are awful!

Some suprising statistics there Gipper. How is it that the stats don't seem as bad as the performances on Sunday?

Gips,

here is the only thing about trying to predict wins and losses by those stats.

I, myself, wasn't trying to predict a win or loss from these stats. i simply put them here as "fun facts". You are free to try to use them as predictors. (but these stats by no means tell an entire tale, I agree)

By nature, statistics are aged and what happened in week one is 8-9 weeks removed from what the Rams did today, or in this case, last game.

For instance, in my own case bowling. My average today is 200. However it isn't at all representative of my game. I was injured early on this season and struggled. My average actually dropped to 191 at one point. However, my last 4 weeks I rolled 682, 704, 611 and last night 801. If someone would bowl me and expect me to roll a 600 set, based on my cumulative average? They're gonna get smoked!

I like it when you talk bowling, Dude. It gives me a chance to post scenes from one of my favorite movies. I see a lot of Walter Sobchack in you....except instead of a Pomeranian you would bring a pit bull to the alley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBsHxuNzCS4&feature=related

These overall stats aren't really telling at all. What is MORE telling are the parts of statistics that deal with standard deviation, median, mean, etc....

Then you have to look at how the teams stas do against certain types of opponents and of course, how tough their oppenets are.

There are some indicators that tell me the Rams are not only a much better team than their record and cumulative stats, but also that they will indeed defeat the Browns.

Jackson is averaging 5.1 ypc and after beating NO, they gave a good accounting of themselves against the Cards. I also don't know the status of Hardesty and Ward but I understand both may not play. That makes the Browns even less effective.

If you look at the last two weeks as an indicator, the Rams have a lot more MO coming in.

I think they will keep our defense on the field, make a few big plays late.

ALSO, I think that the Browns are on thin emotional ice. HEar me out. A lot is going into the "JOSHUA THE SAVIOUR" gameplan. WHile he might make a play or tow, he is also going to be predictable and in my opion get his ass handed to him out of the backfield. We will see. However, it is foolish to think that all along our golden egg was just to get Cribbs involved a the messiah. He ain't all that man. Just like Kordell never worked out for Pittsburgh in that or any other role.

To me, this is a sign that Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur are in way over their heads. It's like Tressel going on 4th and from his own 38 early in teh game against Florida.

I'm betting the Rams.

Fair points. I hope you're wrong, but you could be right.

Gips,

here is the only thing about trying to predict wins and losses by those statso

By nature, statistics are aged and what happened in week one is 8-9 weeks removed from what the Rams did today, or in this case, last game.

For instance, in my own case bowling. My average today is 200. However it isn't at all representative of my game. I was injured early on this season and struggled. My average actually dropped to 191 at one point. However, my last 4 weeks I rolled 682, 704, 611 and last night 801. If someone would bowl me and expect me to roll a 600 set, based on my cumulative average? They're gonna get smoked!

I envision you looking like big ern from kingpin but with worse hair. I'm sure twenty year old playboy bunnies are falling all over themselves to get with geriatric semi pro bowlers.

the only statistic that matters is ......................3-6

Heck the Chargers had the #1 offense, and the #1 defense last year................and they STILL missed the playoffs

Archived