THE BROWNS BOARD

Mccoy And Audibles

beefjerky

I was listening to Colt's press conference, and the reporters asked him on that last drive where they ran it 3 straight times to run the clock down, whether he could audible the play or why he didn't, and he answered "No, the coach doesn't allow me to audible." or something like that.

how common is that amongst coaches and QBs? I think it also reflects on Shurmur not trusting McCoy to make the right decision, which isn't exactly putting faith into your QB.

McCoy has looked a lot worse this year than last year, so maybe Shurmur is limiting him more so than just not being able to call audibles.

I was listening to Colt's press conference, and the reporters asked him on that last drive where they ran it 3 straight times to run the clock down, whether he could audible the play or why he didn't, and he answered "No, the coach doesn't allow me to audible." or something like that.

how common is that amongst coaches and QBs? I think it also reflects on Shurmur not trusting McCoy to make the right decision, which isn't exactly putting faith into your QB.

McCoy has looked a lot worse this year than last year, so maybe Shurmur is limiting him more so than just not being able to call audibles.

And Shurmur in an interview contradicts McCoy. But then Shurmur contradicts himself as well as stated in this Article.

wow this is pretty damning evidence. Shurmur is the cause of, I'd say, 50% of our losses.

Hard to believe that mid-way thru the season the coach says the QB can audible,while the QB says he doesn't have that option. Who's right and Who's wrong--I find it hard to believe that this subject has not been discussed between the two of them before, I also find it hard to believe that McCoy would give an incorrect answer to such a question, knowing it would make it's way back to the coach.

I think it also reflects on Shurmur not trusting McCoy to make the right decision, which isn't exactly putting faith into your QB.

NO, it sure the hell does NOT reflect that. It's a new offense. The offense is still learning the offense.

How the hell are you going to integrate all sorts of audibles into an offense that is just being learned?

They still have some players not on the same page on some plays. Come on, man !

The fact that their answers(Colt-Shumur) totally conflict,there is a pretty big disconnect here.

Someone here is lieing and I think Shumur is the guy. Why would Colt lie when asked..

the correct lie would be "yes I can"..therefore young Colt speaks the truth.,Shumur

trying to cover his backside because its extrememly absurd not to be able to audible

if a front you seen will stop the play you've called..its done at all levels..HS, College and

of course in the NFL ALL THE TIME....Hell Brady, Manning audible out of every play to get their team in the correct play. Along with confirmation from another player that no hot reads or audibles are called IN GAMES. The question some media type needs to ask Colt

is if he audibled on the LOS at Texas..I'm sure he did..I think the kids confidence is shattered..and he will be the scapegoat for

a 3-13 season..

The fact that their answers(Colt-Shumur) totally conflict,there is a pretty big disconnect here.

Someone here is lieing and I think Shumur is the guy. Why would Colt lie when asked..

the correct lie would be "yes I can"..therefore young Colt speaks the truth.,Shumur

trying to cover his backside because its extrememly absurd not to be able to audible

if a front you seen will stop the play you've called..its done at all levels..HS, College and

of course in the NFL ALL THE TIME....Hell Brady, Manning audible out of every play to get their team in the correct play. Along with confirmation from another player that no hot reads or audibles are called IN GAMES. The question some media type needs to ask Colt

is if he audibled on the LOS at Texas..I'm sure he did..I think the kids confidence is shattered..and he will be the scapegoat for

a 3-13 season..

This amounts to Shurmer throwing Mccoy under the bus. If you study the situation, Shurmer contradicts himself every time he speaks. I'm all for stability....not changing coaches every other year, but it's not a good sign, if your HC points fingers and puts the blame elsewhere. The really sad thing is...unless Lerner fires Holmgren, we're stuck with Shurmer for eternity. I believe in giving a a guy a chance, but as a HC / OC, Shurmer is completely lost. It really makes no sense to me, why Holmgren would hire this guy, and set him up for failure, by not giving him an OC. I suspected after the first couple games, that Mccoy, maybe didn't have the option of changing plays, but don't fully understand why Shurmer would proceed, knowing that he is ultimately responsible for the success or failure. If Holmgren is aware of wht's going on, I can only assume he doesn't really care either way.

Ask this question.....what if McCoy said "f88k it....Little...go long on this play and I will hit you, no matter that Murmur called for another 2 yard out pattern?

I guess he would be in trouble because, after all, when Bernie Kosar changed a play on Bill Belichick, at that time, Bernie was a veteran and knew more about running a decent offense than BB did. Here however, Colt is still a young QB and doesn't feel like he can stand up to his coach, even if he knows his coach has his head where the sun don't shine.

(actually, I wonder if Shurmur would have the kohones to stand up to asserting his authority over McCoy the way BB did to Bernie)

Ask this question.....what if McCoy said "f88k it....Little...go long on this play and I will hit you, no matter that Murmur called for another 2 yard out pattern?

I guess he would be in trouble because, after all, when Bernie Kosar changed a play on Bill Belichick, at that time, Bernie was a veteran and knew more about running a decent offense than BB did. Here however, Colt is still a young QB and doesn't feel like he can stand up to his coach, even if he knows his coach has his head where the sun don't shine.

(actually, I wonder if Shurmur would have the kohones to stand up to asserting his authority over McCoy the way BB did to Bernie)

I think that if that happened Colt would feel the wrath of both Shurmur and Holmgren. Shurmur is Holmgrens "friendly hire". I also think that given his interviews, and his reactions when questioned about play-callin etc, that Shurmur is a "my way or the highway" kinda guy. McCoy is more than capable of being able to audible (he did last year), however this year I believe he is dealing with an ego-maniac (visions of grandeur) as a head coach "how dare you change my play!!!"

How many years is it gonna take before the offense is allowed to use one of most basic and useful tools, Cal? Please stop with your apologist bullshit. It week 11...not week 2. The fact u can watch this abortion of a team and still defend this worthless coach speaks volumes about your football comprehension.

Shurmur clearly hasn't been allowing audibles. The proof is in the game film. Ask yourself this...why are the Browns more effective in the last two minutes of halves? Because they're in a hurry up offense. That gives the QB more flexibility to adjust to what defensive looks he's getting. It's more ad libbed by the QB. It has to be. That's why McCoy is more effective when Shurmur takes the training wheels off.

Interesting...I live in Baltimore and the local sports talk shows are always hammering on Flacco. Last year some caller complained about Flacco not making any presnap adjustments...I think that came after the Ravens/Steelers game when Polamalu sacked Flacco and changed the game. The Ravens OC Cam Cameron (who by the way is the town's enemy No. 1) said that audibles are overrated. I couldn't believe it. Taking that ability away from a quarterback is like telling a pitcher he can only throw fastballs.

Flacco hasn't developed much in 4 seasons. If they clamp down on McCoy the same way, he won't either.

I hate Shurmur more and more every week. You are correct as he answers the question "do you have the option to audible?" at 2:17 in this clip and answers he answers no.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Colt-McCoy-Post-Game-Press-Conference-1113/c0f38839-c512-4fc2-a4aa-685f51bc1cc1

Colts been a QB for over a full season and hes not even allowed to audible out of a bad formation after reading the defense WTF! This coach might be the worst in NFL history! Andy Dalton has played half a season and audlbles constantly for the Bengals, I watched Colt audible numerous times as a rookie last year out of some bad play calls.

WHAT THE xxxx IS WRONG WITH THIS ORGANIZATION AND MIKE HOLMGREN FOR HIRING THIS STUPID PIECE OF SHIT!

I hate Shurmur more and more every week. You are correct as he answers the question "do you have the option to audible?" at 2:17 in this clip and answers he answers no.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Colt-McCoy-Post-Game-Press-Conference-1113/c0f38839-c512-4fc2-a4aa-685f51bc1cc1

Colts been a QB for over a full season and hes not even allowed to audible out of a bad formation after reading the defense WTF! This coach might be the worst in NFL history! Andy Dalton has played half a season and audlbles constantly for the Bengals, I watched Colt audible numerous times as a rookie last year out of some bad play calls.

WHAT THE xxxx IS WRONG WITH THIS ORGANIZATION AND MIKE HOLMGREN FOR HIRING THIS STUPID PIECE OF SHIT!

Here's a note to Holmgren: You fired Mangini after a year because "he wasn't on the same page". You going to fire Un-Shur-mer after a year because he can't freaking read the page you and Heckert are on?

So here's what I want you to do, Mr. Holmgren. Murmer has another two FG game against the Jags, fire his ass immediately, admit you made a huge mistake hiring the Bozo, either take over yourself or promote Jauron to HC, and get yourself a real HC next year, or at least get a decent OC.

Wow, just wow... It's sad, I had to listen to all my games on the radio or attempt to watch with my terrible internet last year while I was in Missouri.... at least those games (mostly) were entertaining... What kind of game are we expecting this week? It's been so bad this year that I haven't even bothered to watch.

How many years is it gonna take before the offense is allowed to use one of most basic and useful tools, Cal? Please stop with your apologist bullshit. It week 11...not week 2. The fact u can watch this abortion of a team and still defend this worthless coach speaks volumes about your football comprehension.

You talkin about audibles? I'm all for that. I'm just saying that the audibles don't mean that Shurmur doesn't trust McCoy, etc etc etc etc.

I'm just not venting against Shurmur, eh... much, until he has a RT, another blue chippie

WR, and a bigtime RB since I don't see Hillis staying with the Browns. How many years? It hasn't been one year yet with this WC offense.

I like what I see - on the few plays the offense actually gets good blocking vs no blitz.

I was shocked when the blocking held up long enough to run that double reverse pass jobbie. If I had the time, I'd go back and rerun that play

to see how they pulled it off. That strike to Little was an excellent downfield throw that several whining venters around here refuse to admit Colt can make.

But audibles? Why give Colt the responsibility to call audibles when they don't have the RT to make the blocks?

When Pinkston isn't getting bullrushed into the backfield? When Oglesbywanasomething (rb @@) isn't hesitating on a quick hitter up the middle?

Audibles are for established systems will the personel in place. The Browns are closer than in years past - but a few major weaknesses remain.

I just don't believe in projecting my disgust with the offense on the qb. or the hc. or the rb. I see blocking on the right side failing miserably, killing the offenses' chances.

I'm po'd at Shurmur on a few things. But being outraged at Shurmur because he isn't emotional, and because he is,,, is pretty bogus. If this Browns offense had two or three major

-solid- players added, this offense could roar and all this whining goes away.

Until then, I'm disgusted at a few things, and very annoyed that the offense doesn't work well. it's the reasons for the failing that I disagree on with some folks.

Would some of you bashers of Shurmur and Colt be happier with watching the Viking's offense fail miserably? Ponder has a worse day than Colt, and Adrian Peterson

only gains 52 freakin yards the last game, in a 45-7 loss?

With the Browns, Peterson might have gotten a hundred yards. It's a team game, and the Browns and Vikings don't have all the pieces in place. The vikes just have

different pieces missing.

When the oline lost Steinbach, it was a huge hit. The oline isn't getting the job done on the right side, and Pinkston has failed badly once in a while, too.

Until all the missing pieces are put into place NEXT DRAFT AND FA... :angry: it's a whole lot of misdirected angst, imho, to lambast the wco, Mccoy, and Shurmur.

Its been pretty obvious that shurmur doesnt let colt audible and is doing the same unjustifiable crap every other coach we have had does, and that is trying to make the QB something they are not and fit in a system they do not play well in..

Shurmur is not an offensive minded coach and he most certainly isnt a knowledgeable QB friendly coach..

The idea for any coach should be to put round blocks in round holes and reserve the square holes until you have square blocks, so simple yet every coach we get insists on trying to force round blocks in square holes, history proves it does not work and any coach that cant get that should not be a coach for long, just like mangini shurmur does not get it..

The back side of that is - that the Browns have never drafted intelligently before. Some round blocks, some square blocks,

some rotten blocks, and all sorts of block heads. NO system fits that. Shurmur needs a legit OC. I predict there will be one before the draft .

Its been pretty obvious that shurmur doesnt let colt audible and is doing the same unjustifiable crap every other coach we have had does, and that is trying to make the QB something they are not and fit in a system they do not play well in..

Shurmur is not an offensive minded coach and he most certainly isnt a knowledgeable QB friendly coach..

The idea for any coach should be to put round blocks in round holes and reserve the square holes until you have square blocks, so simple yet every coach we get insists on trying to force round blocks in square holes, history proves it does not work and any coach that cant get that should not be a coach for long, just like mangini shurmur does not get it..

interestingly enough the opposite of this would be John Fox, he changed the entire system to better suit Tebow and give the team the best chance to win, not force Tebow to play something he can't(at least he can't for now).

sucks Shurmur doesn't realize that heh.

Archived