THE BROWNS BOARD

Another Flubbed Snap?!? Wth?!?!?

sisky fringo

the Browns' Special Teams have truly gone from sugar to shit.

formerly a consistent strength of the team, the "Bizarro" Specials of 2011 are now a serious area of concern.

when Butch spent a 5th rd pick years ago on Ryan Pontbriand i thought it was a pretty big reach since long snappers typically go undrafted. then a few years later, after the Blizzard game win in Buffalo and being twice chosen out of all special teamers on 16 AFC teams to be the Special Teams Utility Choice to the Pro Bowl, i was beginning to think we just might have something special in this guy.

then the shrrrmmmmrrrr/Tabor era began.

it seemed like it started with the Lions game when (insert no-name washed up veteran here) started getting serious penetration, culminating with a blocked field goal. it appeared that Tabor and shrrrmmmrrrr's adjustment was inserting Alex Mack at LG next to Pontbriand to help solidify protection...which clearly hasn't been a solution.

from Pontbriand we've had high snaps, a snap ricochet off Alex Mack's thigh (Mack's fault fwiw), a snap roll back to the holder on the ground....what gives?!?

Pontbriand was always solid before. ?

Zastudil and Hodges never had issues holding for Dawson, so why now??

all other long snappers in the NFL snap it 6 yards but Pontbriand snaps it 7, because 7 yards gets his laces facing up every time. although it adds a yard to all field goals and punts as far as i know it has never been an issue worth addressing before this season and no one has tampered with it. is Maynard (old dog, no new trick allowed?) or the coach now trying to change the distance of the holder, causing Pontbriand and the kicking team issues executing?

last week the snap was bad but Maynard clearly had time to spin the laces out of the way...and failed to. as a result Phil missed the FG wide left and the Browns lost the game.

this week it again comes down to a Dawson field goal FTW and the ball rolls on its side to Maynard and again, Phil misses. what the hell is up?!?

anyone have any insight as to what is going on here????????????????

I just listened to Shurmers press conference and he talked a little about it. He said they've been discussing the possibility of bringing somebody else in to longsnap. Ryan said he's been in a terrible rut and Shurmer basically said we can't have rut's in professional football...whatever the problem is hopefully its fixed soon.

I just listened to Shurmers press conference and he talked a little about it. He said they've been discussing the possibility of bringing somebody else in to longsnap. Ryan said he's been in a terrible rut and Shurmer basically said we can't have rut's in professional football...whatever the problem is hopefully its fixed soon.

I don't know where the hell Pat Shurmur's head is. This organization has been in a rut for the past 12 years and the current team is still in a "rut" Maybe his head is stuck in a rut.

Pontbriand has been excellent for years. For that matter, so have our special teams. This year, neither Pontbriand nor special teams have been "special". Is the fact that we have a new ST coach just a coincidence? I think not. I think ST coaching is definitely a concern. Just my opinion.

Mike

other long snappers in the NFL snap it 6 yards but Pontbriand snaps it 7, because 7 yards gets his laces facing up every time. although it adds a yard to all field goals and punts as far as i know it has never been an issue worth addressing before this season and no one has tampered with it. is Maynard (old dog, no new trick allowed?) or the coach now trying to change the distance of the holder, causing Pontbriand and the kicking team issues executing?

last week the snap was bad but Maynard clearly had time to spin the laces out of the way...and failed to. as a result Phil missed the FG wide left and the Browns lost the game.

this week it again comes down to a Dawson field goal FTW and the ball rolls on its side to Maynard and again, Phil misses. what the hell is up?!?

anyone have any insight as to what is going on here????????????????

Are you saying Pontbriand's been forced to change his snap from 6-7 yds under the shurmjnator? If so that's why the snaps have sucked so badly this year in addition to the rest of the special teams abominable performance this yr.

Well the good news is, the Browns are in good shape to use the first round pick on another center. These offensive linemen are something we really have to spend a lot of time and money on. They are our future.

No, Ghoolie. A Right Tackle, not a center.

Do you have a particular one in mind that they should select?

Archived