THE BROWNS BOARD

Breaking Dawn Review

The Twilight Saga

Breaking Dawn

Summit Entertainment

PG 13 117 min

Geez.

I can’t believe that nothing new opened around here in time for deadline. I tried and found a Kevin Spacey film about the Wall Street crisis from a while back but it was short run and apparently opened back in October. So it looks like I just can’t avoid the fourth and final installment of THE TWILIGHT SAGA, BREAKING DAWN. Yeah I know; it’s part one. That means I’ll probably have to sit through the other half next year.

This time around I actually had a small glimmer of hope. I’d heard from a few people (including my niece Lacie who’s actually pretty smart) that this one was the best of the series so far. Well, I thought, that can’t be too hard. So the closest I could get to that prediction is to admit that it really wasn’t significantly worse than the others.

Don’t get me wrong it really is awful but in a new and special way. We’ll get to that.

You know the drill; there are vampires and werewolves living up in the northwest woods. The two groups have been living under a very strained truce which is being pushed to the breaking point.

Mouth breather Bella (Kristen Stewart) has had the hots for both Dracula and the Wolfman and made the decision to wed Edward the vampire rather than Jacob the werewolf.

So for what seems to be hours we’re treated to a fourteen year old girl’s vision of what a wedding should be. Both the suitors are devoted and understanding and tolerant to the point of nausea until, of course, Bella gets pregnant. You see a while ago the vampires learned how to get along in the world without killing humans for blood but who knows how this baby will turn out? Will it be human or a dangerous being to upset the balance again? Will Bella even survive the pregnancy?

Who knows; who cares, but the wolf tribe has decided the war is back on and the baby bloodsucker has to die.

Before it’s over I feared that I’d be the one to die if boredom can actually kill.

The acting is worse than ever the plot thinner and the pacing stagnant.

Taker along some garlic and a silver bullet if you must but this one won’t appeal to anyone too grown up for Barbie dolls.

F+ (plus because Keanu Reeves isn’t in it)

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...

My niece has saw this twice. She is a huge Twilight fan. As well as her mom, my sister. But there is a warning in the end, as a lot of people in certain scenes, which I won't give away for fear of spoiling the film. As some people had epilesy including a friend of my sister. She had seizures.

Just wanted to warn those that plan to see it as some scenes, are not for the squeamish.

FTR, I am by all means no Twilight nut. Far from it! I have gotten this from my niece and sister.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived