THE BROWNS BOARD

Hugo Review

Hugo

Paramount

PG 127 min

Now almost on the other side of the coin from ANONYMOUS is Martin Scorsese’s striking adaptation of Brian Selznik’s novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It’s different because the film is more interesting than the story itself. I’d never heard of that novel so if the film is off the literary mark you can let me know.

Let me say that I almost hate 3D. Oh it’s sometimes a little cool what with the modern day techniques (a damn sight better than the blue and red cellophane specs of yesteryear) but once you’ve seen it the thrill is over. Besides some producers think they can carry an entire film on that one gimmick. I ask myself would a movie be really good without it? Mostly I think it’s a scam to weasel you out of another three bucks for a ten cent pair of glasses that they want back. <rant over>

Well this one would be impressive. I’ve been trying to think of adjectives like groundbreaking or stunning to kind of hide the fact that while it really is kind of spectacular I didn’t really love it.

It’s obvious why Scorsese (or any veteran filmmaker) would love the story. When it all shakes out it’s about a filmmaker who disappeared after creating a big backlog of cutting edge (for their day) flicks.

It does, however, take a bit of time to get to that.

It begins as young Hugo (Asa Butterfield) is caught pilfering clockwork toys and parts from the gruff old Georges’ (Ben Kingsley) toy shop.

He’s trying to finish his sainted father’s work which is restoring an old wind up robot.

Hugo lives in constant fear of being arrested by the sinister Inspector Gustav (Sasha Baron Cohen) who terrifies all the urchins that frequent the gallery. I hate Cohen (BORAT, BRUNO) a lot less after this one.

The book is itself fiction but inspired by an actual filmmaker’s work and the film itself is as Avant garde as those old celluloids.

The 3D is state of the art and so are the sets and visuals. It’s rivetingly surrealistic almost to the point of creepy.

And though the effects never exactly wear off the pacing is noticeably slow as it rolls on to its revelation.

Still it’s not the run of the mill offering though it may be more impressive than fun. And it really is a masterpiece.

B

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived