THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini the rat article will not get HC job anywhere

Sez.EJ

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/11211548

This may be old news but I found this article on Mangini. It says he is not trustworthy becuase he is a snitch and a backstabber due to the sypgate thing. I am not saying I agree with it. But the there are valid points to this. I am not factoring this in on my like or dislike for Mangini.. I like Spagnuolo, Scwhartz, and Grim ahead of him.. I am liking Grim more and more because of his knowledge in our division.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/11211548

This may be old news but I found this article on Mangini. I am not saying I agree with it. But the there are valid points to this. I am not factoring this in on my like or dislike for Mangini.. I like Sagnuolo, Scwhartz, and Grim ahead of him.. I am liking Grim more and more because of his knowledge in our division.

We have this one from a while back...and it is one of the reasons we believe there isn't more 'buzz' about Mangini. I think any 'established' GM is going to have a problem with bringing him in unless they have MAJOR ties to him...and the only one that fits that scenario is Belicheck...so that means NOBODY.

That leaves us here in Cleveland...where we are willing to interview Kokinis as the GM on the recommendation of Mangini.

I really think this will not factor into the Browns hiring him...but it WILL make it so we don't have any competition for his services...and personally I think WITHOUT the 'spygate' deal....Mangini would be among the most sought after coaches in the league.

If mangini snitched for the right reasons its fine with me but if he was actually trying to get billyboys job by being the league hero its not alright..cheating is cheating even if its actually a guy like BB that just wants to totally master every single aspect of the game..i dont like backstabbers unless mangini had real convictions dealing with it and having to play against your ex-boss whom you know is cheating is suffcient it shows loyalty to his club and is own passion to win ..

It says to me he aint no romeo crennel and would never without a cross word or media attention let someone else run his game while he sits by and gleefuly takes the blame...

While BB changed the way DCs and HCs call plays(cover mouth with gameplan sheet)it didnt affect tucker or chud who didnt have to cover their intentions because they're playcalling was so basic no nfl or college team would have to cheat to predict what was coming next..

I don't see why Mangini is getting the heat. From what I remember, the Patriots were warned that if they decided to videotape the game, they would turn the guy in.

Mangini or whomever, did not try to stop NE to film other teams, but only theirs. He knew Bellicheck would cheat and how he would do it, so he gave him an option not to do it against the Jets. Bellicheck decided to cheat anyways, so the Jets/Mangini turned them in.

Is it honorable to let your mentor get away with cheating? Or is it more honorable to make sure the team that pays him, has the best chance to win.

I'd like to remind you, Mangini didn't go straight to the league and rat BB out.

BB was warned BEFORE the season started to knock off the cheating and Mangini caught him filming his signals DURING a game.

If you caught your neighbor stealing out of your house AFTER the neighborhood watch had him blacklisted and called the cops on him is that ratting someone out?

BB got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, Mangini was the one who caught him, everyone screamed rat because Mangini was supposed to be BB's protege.

Alot of questions around Mangini and not just whether he is a capable / winning coach either.

Hope Lerner is truly weighing the whole package he's looking to buy and long term affects - don't need to be looking for a coach in 2 years after a terrible 2009 and 2010.

Given the state of this program, I'd be looking hard elsewhere.

Lerner has a guy named bernie kosar right under his nose that would whip this club in shape i dunno why lerner hates bernie so much..he is loved by fans and respected by the media at minimal he would be a fantastic pr guy..

I think Lerner looks at Detroit and Matt Millen and is afraid the same thing can happen. Millen sounds great in the broadcast booth, had a good career, but it doesn't mean it translates into a GM position

He would be a horrible PR person since he doesn't speak well.....unless you are talking about what he already does...showing up at golf outings and stuff like that.

I know everybody loves Bernie, but he isn't a GM or coach.

Hiring him in a capacity such as that would turn in to a "Weekend at Bernie's"

The Browns would be lugging around a dead weight.

Lerner has a guy named bernie kosar right under his nose that would whip this club in shape i dunno why lerner hates bernie so much..he is loved by fans and respected by the media at minimal he would be a fantastic pr guy..

Can someone please tell me why Bernie Kosar inspires ANYONE regarding a front office/"whip this club into shape" position with this team?

Other than clinging desperately to the past, I'd like one solid reason. One fact.

Can someone please tell me why Bernie Kosar inspires ANYONE regarding a front office/"whip this club into shape" position with this team?

Other than clinging desperately to the past, I'd like one solid reason. One fact.

good question. seriously if Bernie had any personnel ability he would be working at such a job already.

Maybe because Bernie has said over and over that he is not interested in a football related position and is not looking for a full time job because of his other business commitments. Bernie has expressed to Lerner that he would take a administrative or advisory role within the FO of the organization. When Jim Brown moves aside that job will most likely go to Bernie.

As of right now, he is a advisor to Lerner and does some work for the team

What exactly has Bernie ever done to make you say this. I mean.... I played little leage baseball against him.. does that make him a hitting or pitching coach too?

I don't think Kosar would ever take a HC or GM job with the Browns simply because he has little to gain and alot to lose from doing so. If he fails as a GM or HC, his reputation is tarnished. Right now, he is still God amongst Clevelanders.

I don't see why Mangini is getting the heat. From what I remember, the Patriots were warned that if they decided to videotape the game, they would turn the guy in.

Mangini or whomever, did not try to stop NE to film other teams, but only theirs. He knew Bellicheck would cheat and how he would do it, so he gave him an option not to do it against the Jets. Bellicheck decided to cheat anyways, so the Jets/Mangini turned them in.

Is it honorable to let your mentor get away with cheating? Or is it more honorable to make sure the team that pays him, has the best chance to win.

Agree 100% For those who consider him a snitch would it be ok to let the Pats cheat against the Browns when he is the coach and do nothing?

Every once in a while you come up with a good question, mz the pussy. Even a comment or observation once in a while.

Bernie had a nice, albeit shortened career. Nothing more. Nothing less.

What has Kosar done ?

Let's see:

- In 2001, he became part-owner of the Florida Panthers franchise of the National Hockey League.

- There had been talk of Kosar taking the head coaching job at his alma mater, the University of Miami, and Kosar (who currently holds a seat on Miami's board of regents) acknowledged that he had considered taking the job before it was ultimately offered to Randy Shannon.

- Kosar also purchased a minority share in the Arena Football League's Las Vegas Gladiators in 2007 and announced that the team would move to Cleveland and play under the name Cleveland Gladiators. On October 16, 2007, Kosar was named team president and CEO of the franchise. The Gladiators finished the 2008 regular season 9-7, earning them a playoff berth.

- Earned a degree in finance and economics from the University of Miami

Do these statistics necessarily make him a candidate for a HC or GM, absolutely not (not yet anyway), but bear in mind the natural talent level he had (did'nt have) and the 'smarts' that he had in order to succeed with such a limited talent level. He was a leader, performer and inspiration. Additionally, learned the Cowboys playbook in less than a week after leaving the Browns and filled in for Troy Aikman to get a win for the Cowboys in 1993. How many guys can sit on the sideline all damn season and not do that well ???? We have at least 2 of those right now.

What have Mangini or others done to get to the level they did in the NFL outside of being surrounded by talented mentor's ?

Kosar should be given at least a position within the organization with which to prove his worth / talents for possible boosting into higher level positions and one day (I believe) a damn good coach. He was definitely NOT your run of the mill quarterback.

wow.. no not if he bought an AFL franchise recently....

Nah, that's just business acumen. While the other AFL teams are dormant or disbanded--or shall I say, "sleeping"--the Gladiators will claim the title as their own! Fools! Bernie has triumphed again, using his superior brains!

Dennis

And now it's off to one of his Taco Bells to celebrate with a Volcano Taco.

Archived