THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Fans, Harrison, And Defense

Captain Cheesedick

Legendary defensive players: Nitschke, Butkus, Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Lott, Decon Jones, Bruce Smith, all intimidated, and played to punish the offensive players. And you bet each one of these players lead with their helmet and loved making QB's see stars.

Steelers always have this guy, for a while it was Lambert, then Nickerson, then Llyod, then Porter, now Harrison.

I, for one, as a Browns fan, applaud bad a$$ defensive players.

The league was built on toughness. You can keep your new-era non contact NFL.

It's an embarrassment to the Browns teams from the 1950's up to 1995, that we fans cry about tough hits, and intimidating style of play.

Long live Turkey Jones flipping Bradshaw and driving his head into the ground! And here's to Harrison making sure no opponent gets too comfortable.

It's professional football fellow fans, lets get back to it!

Legendary defensive players: Nitschke, Butkus, Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Lott, Decon Jones, Bruce Smith, all intimidated, and played to punish the offensive players. And you bet each one of these players lead with their helmet and loved making QB's see stars.

Steelers always have this guy, for a while it was Lambert, then Nickerson, then Llyod, then Porter, now Harrison.

It's an embarrassment to the Browns teams from the 1950's up to 1995, that we fans cry about tough hits, and intimidating style of play.

Long live Turkey Jones flipping Bradshaw and driving his head into the ground! And here's to Harrison making sure no opponent gets too comfortable.

Sorry, the rules are different now than they were back then. A player would be suspended for the season if they did a repeat of the Turkey Jones piledrive today. You could head slap and chop block then too. Players are way bigger and stronger than they were back in the 60s, and can work on conditioning year round instead of having to take off season jobs to make ends meet. Linebackers are the size of defensive ends, and a 300 pound lineman was a rarity back then. Force = Mass X acceleration = more injuries.

Regarding Harrison's hit- if he had lowered his shoulder (which he was entirely capable of doing) and hit McCoy as hard as he could in the chest and broken a couple of his ribs, you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me. Fourth time the thug has done a helmet to helmet shot, and needs to get taught trying to deliberately concuss someone out of the game isn't going to fly anymore. Like I said elsewhere, it's "tackle" football, not "intent to injure" football.

And don't give me crap about our guys- TJ Ward got fined for a vicious hit, and learned from his mistake- it hasn't changed his style of play, except he's aware of what's legal and what isn't on the field. Harrison hasn't.

Sorry, the rules are different now than they were back then

Yup, what he said. But hey, they want to change the rules back to when they played in the 70's, I'm all for it. In fact, I'd be all for them putting on plaster casts and using them like billy clubs, like they did in the Longest Yard. But rules are rules.

Unless they build better helmets that can absorb the hard hit impacts I'm all for these rules. There is no point in a man suffering during the later half of his life only cos he had multiple concussions during the early half of his life. That ofcourse is just my opinion. The rules have put in a need to have smarter tacklers than just plain old hard hitters whose only game is to injure players. Besides, i do enjoy the offense oriented game, than one where people just get injured. And why do we simply keep talking up James Harrison of the Steelers ? Look at Troy Pollamalu - He is effective, smart and an impact player. Look at Clay Matthews Jr. , Ed Reed ... they are great players and good at what they do. They play hard. Dont tell me that good defenders are only those that injure or try to injure players.

Preach on, my brother.

If we had ONE player with the nutsack to lay a hit like that on Ben (or any QB for that matter), the rest of the NFL might not casually regard us as the laughingstock of the league.

If the QB is in the pocket, he deserves some protection. Once he leaves the pocket, he should be considered fair game, i.e., a football player.

Just my opinion.

The current rules are a joke.

If one of the Browns (now I'm REALLY living in fantasy land) had drilled Rapistburger like Harrison did McCoy, I would have been spanking my monkey with joy.

Say what you will about Harrison or Suh or any other "dirty" player in the league, but when you're going up against the Lions, Steelers, 49ers, or whoever,you better damn well have your head on a swivel and you shit wired tight.

You can keep your new-era non contact NFL.

ok. i will. does that mean we don't have to hear you cry about how the game isn't violent enough for you, you closet steeler fan.

do you hear anybody bitchin about brian urlacher or von miller being dirty? aren't they new era players?

How many if those guys will die early with a brain that looks like swiss cheese?

Preach on, my brother.

If we had ONE player with the nutsack to lay a hit like that on Ben (or any QB for that matter), the rest of the NFL might not casually regard us as the laughingstock of the league.

If the QB is in the pocket, he deserves some protection. Once he leaves the pocket, he should be considered fair game, i.e., a football player.

Just my opinion.

The current rules are a joke.

If one of the Browns (now I'm REALLY living in fantasy land) had drilled Rapistburger like Harrison did McCoy, I would have been spanking my monkey with joy.

Say what you will about Harrison or Suh or any other "dirty" player in the league, but when you're going up against the Lions, Steelers, 49ers, or whoever,you better damn well have your head on a swivel and you shit wired tight.

Actually we do have a guy.....TJ Ward. Remember, he was fined a time or two for his hits on opponents.

The thing though is....yes, there are rules. The rules say you cannot lead by the crown of your helmet. By the way, that rule has been in football for at least since the 60s. We called it "spearing". It has always been illegal to spear. Butkus, Nitschke, Mike Curtis, etc. etc. etc. all those "tough guys" in fact made their plays without spearing.

Harrison will have to learn to do so as well.....or he won't play.

It has been a proven fact that the helmet used right is a weapon. Any idiot in the league can use it as a weapon. Y do think these corners and safties can put a tight end out.

Its funny how colt has taken an azz whoopin all year. Hit from behind high low and gang tackled. one cheapshot and he's out cold. i don't question colts toughness on bit. he's as tough as ANY qb in the league. ANYBODY!!!!

I've seen some ticky tacky calls when it comes to the qbs head. u and Harrison and everyone knows the qbs head is OFFLIMITS. Harrison wasn't even close this time. This was a blaten attempt to harm with a weapon. Intelligence is apart off being great and he is severely lacking some.

Archived