THE BROWNS BOARD

The Real Reason Mccoy Was Put Back In

Dick Mellon

Shurmur was brought in to develop McCoy and build an Offense around him.

Shurmur has shown no results (CLE ranks 30th in Points Per Game).

CLE had the ball on PIT's six-yard-line, second down, with about four minutes left in the game.

Shurmur could not allow Seneca Wallace to win this game.

That's why, after Wallace moved the ball 14 yards in three plays, McCoy was put back in.

Everything else is simply BS, and window-dressing . . . (was McCoy tested, was he OK, McCy's daddy said this or that, bla, bla, bla)

If that's the case, he should have tried to pound the rock in with Hillis. I realize the running game has been struggling, but running the ball would have had more chance of sucess than letting McCoy throw the bell in the condition he was in. Every decision we made after McCoy got helmet to helmet tackled left me scratching my head.

While I don't totaly agree with your theory, I agree it is Shurmurs responsibility.

How many games have we lost because of coaching errors?

Pittsburgh, Rams, Bengals ... actually both Bengal games but let's just count one ...

Right the we are 7-6 instead of 4-9.

The defense has kept us in every game but a couple, and Shurmur has managed to lose the other 7 with ineptness.

We aren't the most talented team around, but the coach is keeping us back from being as good as we can be, fire him now and let these good young players we have drafted get a real coach and feel like they are in a rea franchise that is committed to winning next year.

Z

While I don't totaly agree with your theory, I agree it is Shurmurs responsibility.

How many games have we lost because of coaching errors?

Pittsburgh, Rams, Bengals ... actually both Bengal games but let's just count one ...

Right the we are 7-6 instead of 4-9.

The defense has kept us in every game but a couple, and Shurmur has managed to lose the other 7 with ineptness.

We aren't the most talented team around, but the coach is keeping us back from being as good as we can be, fire him now and let these good young players we have drafted get a real coach and feel like they are in a rea franchise that is committed to winning next year.

Z

Historically a very good portion of "the most talented teams" is the fact that they were "the best coached teams".

I honestly believe that there may have been teams more talented in the 60s than the Packers, in the 70s than the Steeler, in the 80s than the 9ers, etc. etc. But the way those teams were coached made all the difference between them being the champions they were and the also rans. Yes, you need talent....but I would rather have great coach coaching good talent than a good coach coaching great talent. Inevitably the great coach is going to win even with lesser talent.

Bad coaching combined with below average talent gets you crap. I think the Browns talent level is actually somewhat higher than their performance level, and that is due to poor coaching.

Archived