THE BROWNS BOARD

Final Exams...

Harry Buffalo

I got boned this semester having two of my exams on Friday, one of which being during the final exam period of the day which means I have to stay at school the whole week instead of getting out on Tuesday like I did last year. Well the exam I have in the final exam period on Friday is in by far the hardest class I have taken this semester. The projects them self weren't hard, but the amount of work we had to do is crazy. Read every chapter and right a half page paper on it every class and then discuss the chapter kind of crap. The problem is that the exams are so damn hard that you not only have the read the chapter when you go over it in class, but you pretty much have to re read the chapters before taking an exam because nothing our professor talks about in class is actually on the exam. Me and my entire class ended up bombing the midterm to hard that she is making us retake the midterm with the finals, so now I have an exam over the whole course. Even though this pisses me off since she at least tells us the crazy amount of work we have to put in in order to pass the exams, my problem with this bitch is the following.

She first off claims that the test is the same one used by every teacher who teaches the course, but every other person I know taking another teacher has not only told me that they do at most half the amount of work we do in our class, but their tests are much simpler word wise and they don't have to know as much detail as we do, i.e. They get What did Booker T. Washington say black people should do during his speech? and we get What did Booker T. Washington propose to his wife after the speech before they went back home in the summer of 1873? Ok fine I have a teacher that secretly wants us to do more. The only thing that truly pisses me off about all of this is that the stupid bitch makes us do all this reading and studying to literally take a near impossible test unless you literally study for 48 state hours and she doesn't even have the decency to update our grades. The last grade I have for that class online is from before we took our midterm, so I currently have no realistic idea of what I have in the class at the moment and therefore don't know what I need to get on the exam in order to bet my B or keep from getting C or at worse a D. She lectures every day in her class about personally responsible for our studies yet she can't take 5 minutes to update grades.

Well I guess I got to go study my fucking balls off and read about 300 pages of a book in the next 24 hours. I just wanted to rant a bit and if you take anything away from what I said it's this. I fucking hate hypocrites.

Ya man, this happens all the time with profs.

Is this your first year in college? I went to Kent for my undergrads and YSU for my masters (and I'm going through my 2nd masters as we speak.... two more classes and I'm done with that noise) The Kent Profs were like this ALL the time. (Kent was also great for hiring instructors from out of the country that barely spoke English.... How the hell do you take notes from a guy you can't understand?)

There is ALWAYS this individual in a department. I always got this Prof. in a class that didn’t have much to do with my major…. I would spend my finals week cramming and studying like crazy to learn all this crap that I have NEVER even thought about using again…

You gotta get good at weeding them out the first week of the semester so you can switch out before you get locked in to the course. I talked to EVERYONE I could on my floor or cafe or gym and ask them if they had so and so and what the class was like. Ask the people that help you make your schedule to…. If you get good, they will steer you away from this lady. Saved me a ton of headaches.

I always found that if a class didn't have a Prof listed when you signed up for it (It usually says STAFF) you were REALLY rolling the dice. Usually meant the person they will get has never taught the course before and you are either in for a coaster course or a flippin nightmare.

None of my Profs would update their grades. I would usually turn in my final not having the foggiest idea as to what my grade for the class was. I used to keep track of my tests but I would never get any other work back... really pissed me off. I had an abnormal psychology course that I thought I had a C in and ended up with an A some how. Come to find out the dude graded on a 70+ was an A scale and he never told us....

The thing that will REALLY piss you off is you and everybody else in the class will BLAST this lady on her evaluation and she will be teaching the course next semester without a second thought.

(Just a note, if you ever go back for a master’s make sure you look into it and try to find someone that has done the degree with the school you are looking at…. This master’s program I am in now is unreal. I’ve been writing 30-35 page papers every week for the past two years….. You should see the binders I have stacked in my office…. My buddy just started the same degree at another university and his is a cake walk compared to mine…)

Archived