THE BROWNS BOARD

Seneca Mccoy

roach

It is interesting how comparable their NFL stats are.

Colt: 21 starts, team is 6-15, 28% win percentage

Seneca: 19 starts, teams are 6-13, 32% win percentage (1-4 with Browns, 20%)

Colt: Passing 400/685, 58% completion, 4,309 yards

Seneca: Passing 417/690, 60% completion, 4,484 yards

Here's a big difference....

Colt: 20 TD's, 20 Int's, rating 74.5

Seneca: 30 TD's, 16 Int's, rating 84.4

i don't know what to make of this, but i find the similarities to be remarkable.

At this point, NFL coaches know where Seneca's ceiling is. Colt's ceiling is somewhat of a mystery which is why he needs to play out the string if he is healthy enough to go. The Browns gain nothing by playing Seneca.

He played ok...we've seen McCoy play well also, unfortunately not a whole lot this year. I don't think either of them are the QB of the future. Wallace will be the backup next year here I would guess and we're going to have a new QB. McCoy will move on to some other team and in my guess have a long career as a solid backup in the league.

It is interesting how comparable their NFL stats are.

Colt: 21 starts, team is 6-15, 28% win percentage

Seneca: 19 starts, teams are 6-13, 32% win percentage (1-4 with Browns, 20%)

Colt: Passing 400/685, 58% completion, 4,309 yards

Seneca: Passing 417/690, 60% completion, 4,484 yards

Here's a big difference....

Colt: 20 TD's, 20 Int's, rating 74.5

Seneca: 30 TD's, 16 Int's, rating 84.4

i don't know what to make of this, but i find the similarities to be remarkable.

At this point, NFL coaches know where Seneca's ceiling is. Colt's ceiling is somewhat of a mystery which is why he needs to play out the string if he is healthy enough to go. The Browns gain nothing by playing Seneca.

Senecas ceiling is known. Colts ceiling is not, but judging by what is displayed, it is evident that his ceiling is not going to be very much higher than Seneca atleast in the system we are running. So what has been established is that we have 2 backup QB's. What we need is a franchise QB.

last time we saw Seneca impress us in a Browns uni he was starting vs the Falcons. before he left the game (2nd quarter was it?) with that high ankle sprain he had the Browns up early with a nice lead--imo a pretty good showing for a QB in a totally new system for the first time in his career after being a career backup in strictly WC offenses.

as we all know stats never tell the whole story, and based on live observation i'm not so sure Wallace's ceiling is so cut and dry. taking all the snaps in practice and developing chemistry with a viable receiving core cannot be underestimated. both Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers were putrid their first year starting in the NFL and they had basically the same physical attributes as they do now. after gaining proficiency in their offensive systems and some time to gel with their receivers the difference is staggering.

Seneca vs Colt

SW throws a tight, accurate short ball. quick release, good timing-he leads his receivers well and places the ball in front of them and/or hits them in stride. Colt throws mostly wobbly balls and too often they are behind his receiver, too high, too low, or late.

SW throws an accurate long ball and can push it down-field without much effort. Seneca's abilities help open up the run. i'd like to defend Colt but let's face it--he rainbows all his long passes and needs a running start to do so. defenses don't respect Colt's long ball and they stack the box.

Colt typically still can't beat the blitz. Seneca's answer to one particular Cards blitz was connecting with Little for 35 yards through the air--which Little then took to the house for a TD. not only did he locate his open receiver among 5 defenders and hit him in perfect stride, but he did it all from a FULL SPRINT with defenders biting his heels...and made it look easy. sure, Colt's good on the run, but not THAT good.

Colt's tough as nails and takes hits like a man. Colt accepts getting sacked like it's par for the course. when faced with pressure Colt appears to panic and typically abandons the pocket and proceeds to scramble for his life, often taking unnecessary sacks. Seneca gets rid of the ball fast, typically makes quick & effective decisions, steps up into the pocket to avoid the rush, and smartly throws it away if nothing is there...and if he takes a sack at all he looks visibly pissed.

the ATL game and the Cardinal game were certainly winnable and would change SW's stat line, but to be fair Special Teams lost a couple games Colt had the team in a position to win.

all things considered, we have a pretty good idea who Seneca Wallace is and agree the Browns gain nothing by playing Seneca from here on out.

if Colt is healthy he should definitely play out 2011 and continue his evaluation--the team needs to know all they can before making their final decision on him and obviously, should the Browns lose any more games it only helps their draft position for next year >> win/win.

it's only Tuesday, we'll find out who's starting for sure on game day morning.

not saying it won't be Seneca, just a lot can happen in 4 days. and the Brass MUST realize the long term advantages of playing Colt over Seneca, even if they are done evaluating him.

He played ok...we've seen McCoy play well also, unfortunately not a whole lot this year. I don't think either of them are the QB of the future. Wallace will be the backup next year here I would guess and we're going to have a new QB. McCoy will move on to some other team and in my guess have a long career as a solid backup in the league.

I think mark O is on the mark, however we apparently have some real dimwits running things and they may need to "observe" both colt mccoy and our WRs for another year or two before actually making any determinations about anything..

Archived