THE BROWNS BOARD

If Tim Tebow Was An A-Rab....

Chicopee John

.....would the 'Hollywood' elite (SNL, Bill Mahar, etc.) be making fun of him?

IMHO, the political elite believe it is fine and dandy to denegrate (sp) Christians, and Jews but not A-Rabs, Atheists, Hindus, etc.?

I know, these folks 'hate' people of these faiths but, in truth, I don't understand why it is so accepted, so pervasive and so 'progressive'?

Again, those who cry, 'Tolerance' at the drop of a dime, become completely intolerant of those who believe in Christianity or Judism?

What's wrong with making fun of people who think God can put a wall of protection around a football team? It's ridiculous. Tebow seems like a nice, sincere guy, but I'm glad some people find his brand of full-time evangelism distasteful.

And, of course, he is tolerated. He's free to do whatever he wants, and believe whatever he wants. I don't believe anyone is saying, "Hey, you can't do that, Tim Tebow!" But tolerating it doesn't mean no one gets to make fun of you, or disagree with what you believe, or roll their eyes at your constant and outward displays of religiosity. The fact that people are upset about a barely controversial tweet or that SNL sketch, some version of which has been part of comedy routines for years, is just bizarre. It's hardly notable to mock that idea that Jesus and the Devil are waging a proxy battle through the National Football League. It's old hat, in fact. But you guys sure love to play that martyr card.

"Wow, Jesus just fucked #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler "Hey, Buffalo's killing them""

...Really? You can't handle that without complaining? You're going to cancel HBO for that? I heard worse things said about Tebow in the Buffalo Wild Wings this past weekend.

Similarly, if Tebow wants to stop and praise Jesus every other play, who gives a shit?

And if you can find a Muslim or Jewish equivalent to Tim Tebow in sports, good luck. So I don't know what you're going to compare it to. But you're kidding yourself if you think a similarly obsessive Muslim or Jew wouldn't be made fun of. Tebow is talked about as much as he is because he's become a part of the red state/blue state culture war, and that wouldn't happen if he were a member of a minority religion. And in that overly simplified world part of America thinks his outward and constant displays of faith make him some sort of national treasure, and the other part thinks it makes him look ridiculous.

Personally, I think it's more notable that Cam Newton is putting up the best season ever by a rookie QB, besting passing records set by Peyton Manning, and setting the rushing TD record for a QB, and everyone is talking about Tim Tebow, who is an impressive competitor and extremely limited NFL quarterback. So you've got race, religion, region, sports, politics, all wrapped up in one discussion. And somehow you're surprised people are taking sides?

You are the only one bringing race into it, Heck.

Cam is benefitting from having a solid set of offensive tackles, and get open wideouts,

and... his own athletic ability. You are implying that a direct comparison between Tebow and CAm is valid, because

there are no other mitigating factors... such as oline, receivers, rb's, te's etc?

From now on you will be referred to as, "Heck the Matador".

Nice pontification. Nice soapbox rant.

You never answered the question but attached two questions that were never asked.

And I guess having the NBC band play, "Lying Bitch" or something like that is another case of me getting upset.

FWIW, I laugh a lot more than I get upset with left handed pablum.

What's wrong with making fun of people who think God can put a wall of protection around a football team? It's ridiculous. Tebow seems like a nice, sincere guy, but I'm glad some people find his brand of full-time evangelism distasteful.

And, of course, he is tolerated. He's free to do whatever he wants, and believe whatever he wants. I don't believe anyone is saying, "Hey, you can't do that, Tim Tebow!" But tolerating it doesn't mean no one gets to make fun of you, or disagree with what you believe, or roll their eyes at your constant and outward displays of religiosity. The fact that people are upset about a barely controversial tweet or that SNL sketch, some version of which has been part of comedy routines for years, is just bizarre. It's hardly notable to mock that idea that Jesus and the Devil are waging a proxy battle through the National Football League. It's old hat, in fact. But you guys sure love to play that martyr card.

"Wow, Jesus just fucked #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler "Hey, Buffalo's killing them""

...Really? You can't handle that without complaining? You're going to cancel HBO for that? I heard worse things said about Tebow in the Buffalo Wild Wings this past weekend.

Similarly, if Tebow wants to stop and praise Jesus every other play, who gives a shit?

And if you can find a Muslim or Jewish equivalent to Tim Tebow in sports, good luck. So I don't know what you're going to compare it to. But you're kidding yourself if you think a similarly obsessive Muslim or Jew wouldn't be made fun of. Tebow is talked about as much as he is because he's become a part of the red state/blue state culture war, and that wouldn't happen if he were a member of a minority religion. And in that overly simplified world part of America thinks his outward and constant displays of faith make him some sort of national treasure, and the other part thinks it makes him look ridiculous.

Personally, I think it's more notable that Cam Newton is putting up the best season ever by a rookie QB, besting passing records set by Peyton Manning, and setting the rushing TD record for a QB, and everyone is talking about Tim Tebow, who is an impressive competitor and extremely limited NFL quarterback. So you've got race, religion, region, sports, politics, all wrapped up in one discussion. And somehow you're surprised people are taking sides?

You are showing your level of maturity again. The last time we got to see you perform like a 12 year old was when you proclaimed that Tea Party members were racists. You need to get a grip on life and put up the crayons.

From now on you will be referred to as, "Heck the Matador".

Nice pontification. Nice soapbox rant.

You never answered the question but attached two questions that were never asked.

And I guess having the NBC band play, "Lying Bitch" or something like that is another case of me getting upset.

FWIW, I laugh a lot more than I get upset with left handed pablum.

Why don't you tell us how people should treat Tim Tebow when they disagree with him so that it's in accordance with your rules? Why don't you tell us what was wrong with that SNL skit?

And you asked one question (with a racial slur) and I answered it. If he were an Arab who praised Mohammed every other down, people would make fun of him. But it wouldn't be the same because a minority religion wouldn't have the same cultural relevance as a majority one like Christianity.

Did you ask any other questions I missed? I can't see one.

As for this, "You ...attached two questions that were never asked."

So what? Am I restricted to your cues? Is that how this works? Since when?

And what does the Jimmy Fallon incident have to do with any of this?

Here's one for you: Do you believe that praying to God can effectively put a wall of protection around you and your teammates?

>>Here's one for you: Do you believe that praying to God can effectively put a wall of protection around you and your teammates?>>

It really doesn't matter what I believe, Heck.

To answer your question, however, I do believe in the power of prayer. I can't respond to your question directly because I don't know about this particular instance.

I really don't care all that much about Tebow but I am bemused by all the attention he garners without him reaching out for the spotlight.

PS Truth be told, I didn't see the SNL skit but it does bother me that people make fun of our Lord and Savior.

PPS Thanks for speaking out about me so-called 'slur'. It pretty much served as proof of concept.

Is Ray Stevens a dyed in the wool racist?

Actually I think the tebow story has been of interest just because he's some kind of underdog in the pro league. So many hot college prospects fall on their ass when they get to the big show and he certainly had some question marks. So I think it's natural to root for the guy, especially since he doesn't seem to be an asshole.

Didn't we see 1 or more ravens players last week kneeling after touchdowns?

Anyway, saturday night live has a demographic to appeal to. I almost always think it's funny even though it's a little 1 sided. _

Maybe you'd be more upset, Heck, if they gleaned a few of the presidents remarks on Christianity and roasted him for it.

In the end I bet that Tebow saw the humor in the skit anyway.

Your guys get awfully angry about stuff that doesn't seem all that outrageous.

WSS

These charges from the left - "if you disagree with the left, then what you said is "racist", or "anti-gay", "anti-women", "anti-free speech", "partisan".......,

...always a derogatory label. I figure it's because they know they need to hide their minority special interest "take it all down" emotional bent.

People like you, Heck, are never FOR anything. It's always attack, and criticize, and support those who do the attacking and criticizing. The phoney

banners and slogans, as well as outrageous hypocrisy has long since gotten tiresome. Gee, I wonder what Shep has to say about his

special "bring us all together, fix all the problems" super president? Oh yeah, that's why he left immediately after bashing Bush and Cheney and the "man" became

invalid. Instead, people like Shep, mz the pussy the pussy, et all, run and hide when the truth comes out.

These charges from the left - "if you disagree with the left, then what you said is "racist", or "anti-gay", "anti-women", "anti-free speech", "partisan".......,

...always a derogatory label. I figure it's because they know they need to hide their minority special interest "take it all down" emotional bent.

People like you, Heck, are never FOR anything. It's always attack, and criticize, and support those who do the attacking and criticizing. The phoney

banners and slogans, as well as outrageous hypocrisy has long since gotten tiresome. Gee, I wonder what Shep has to say about his

special "bring us all together, fix all the problems" super president? Oh yeah, that's why he left immediately after bashing Bush and Cheney and the "man" became

invalid. Instead, people like Shep, mz the pussy the pussy the pussy, et all, run and hide when the truth comes out.

m....z....

mz the pussy the pussy

hah. I didn't know that would automatically come up. LOL

>>Here's one for you: Do you believe that praying to God can effectively put a wall of protection around you and your teammates?>>

It really doesn't matter what I believe, Heck.

To answer your question, however, I do believe in the power of prayer. I can't respond to your question directly because I don't know about this particular instance.

I really don't care all that much about Tebow but I am bemused by all the attention he garners without him reaching out for the spotlight.

PS Truth be told, I didn't see the SNL skit but it does bother me that people make fun of our Lord and Savior.

PPS Thanks for speaking out about me so-called 'slur'. It pretty much served as proof of concept.

Well, if you believe that Tim Tebow can ask God to put a wall of protection around him and his teammates - that is what he recently prayed for, and it's on a video that a lot of people saw - and that this is the type of thing God does, I want to make fun of you and your concept of God, too. How's that?

Because I'm pretty sure God doesn't intercede in football games. After all, as Steve notes, there are lots of devout Christians playing in the NFL, and on both sides of the field.

Your concept of a Lord and Savior is not my concept of a Lord and Savior. And I don't have to obey your rules about what can and can't be said about your religion, and nobody else does either. If you think that's beyond the pale, that's your right. And you can be as sad as you like. But other than according you a basic level of decency, I don't care.

People aren't making fun of God. They're making fun of how certain people, like Tim Tebow, think God is someone who grants favors for people who really, really like him. Both the SNL skit and the Maher tweet are mocking this idea. And like I said, it's hardly new territory.

PS - And you probably shouldn't call Arabs "A-Rabs" in, say, the workplace. In 2011. Or 2012. Just a heads up.

>>Your concept of a Lord and Savior is not my concept of a Lord and Savior. And I don't have to obey your rules about what can and can't be said about your religion, and nobody else does either.>>

But you 'say' only about..............one religion, I bet. You have no credibility and - actually - I feel sorry for you.

You select who you want to ridicule and - at the same time - rail about those who are 'intolerant'. Don't you see the duplicity of your position? Most others do.

>>People aren't making fun of God. They're making fun of how certain people, like Tim Tebow, think God is someone who grants favors for people who really, really like him. Both the SNL skit and the Maher tweet are mocking this idea. And like I said, it's hardly new territory.>>

Explain the difference. Please.

Is Ray Stevens a Racist????????? I'll take you answer-avoidance as a, "No".

>>People aren't making fun of God. They're making fun of how certain people, like Tim Tebow, think God is someone who grants favors for people who really, really like him. Both the SNL skit and the Maher tweet are mocking this idea. And like I said, it's hardly new territory.>>

Making fun of God:

memes-god-does-indeed-work-in-mysterious-ways.jpg

Making fun of Tebow:

tim-tebow-stealing-african-miracles.jpg

If you really consider your God to be just and that he's defending you and your teammates, your moral compass, quite frankly, is fucked.

IMHO, the political elite believe it is fine and dandy to denegrate (sp) Christians, and Jews but not A-Rabs, Atheists, Hindus, etc.?

It's okay to make fun of them all, but if they made fun of atheists, hindus, muslims, etc, not enough people would care about it to make a difference. I'm an atheist, and if you think the 'political elite' don't make fun of us, you're a doofus.

Heck, do you believe that the president prays to Jesus and God for guidance on matters such as war or the economy? Do you believe that he asks Them for guidance?

Furthermore, do you think he follows that advice should it be forthcoming?

Finally, do you think that God is more interested in the marginal tax rate than He is football?

WSS

Heck, do you believe that the president prays to Jesus and God for guidance on matters such as war or the economy? Do you believe that he asks Them for guidance?

Furthermore, do you think he follows that advice should it be forthcoming?

Finally, do you think that God is more interested in the marginal tax rate than He is football?

WSS

This is ridiculous. Not the same thing, and not what we're talking about.

Obama says he prays for moral guidance, or to do the right thing in a certain situation, so I can only take him at his word. He's not asking for advice on marginal tax rates, or for God to intercede on his side against the Republicans in Congress.

What you're suggesting is that Obama prays to God for advice on marginal tax rates, and that he gets advice back - "Top rates of 39.6% are the way to go, my son!" - and then follows that advice. This is not the concept of prayer that any serious Christian believes in.

If Obama thought that, or expressed that, I'd worry about him being president. But he doesn't. Most Christians don't either.

>>Your concept of a Lord and Savior is not my concept of a Lord and Savior. And I don't have to obey your rules about what can and can't be said about your religion, and nobody else does either.>>

But you 'say' only about..............one religion, I bet. You have no credibility and - actually - I feel sorry for you.

You select who you want to ridicule and - at the same time - rail about those who are 'intolerant'. Don't you see the duplicity of your position? Most others do.

Is Ray Stevens a Racist????????? I'll take you answer-avoidance as a, "No".

No, I don't say that about only one religion. Not at all. What, do you know me or something? If you'd like to talk about what I think of Islam, Mormonism, Scientology, etc., feel free to ask.

But Arabs are not a religion, John. They're a race of people. You don't seem to get this distinction. I'm just suggesting to you that referring to Arabs as "A-Rabs" doesn't say the best things about you. Perhaps you'd also like to try something like "Jew-boy" or "Whitey." Because you're not saying something about what people do, or choose to believe; you're saying something about what people are. But don't let that stop you. You can do whatever you like.

As for the distinction, I think it's pretty clear. There are many different forms of Christianity. They're mocking the idea that you can pray for God to help you win a football game. There are millions of Christians who believe in Christ, but think that the idea that you can call on him to put a wall of protection around your team - and that he will do this - is ludicrous.

As for Ray Stevens, I have no idea. I don't know him. And I didn't watch the video. And I don't care. What Ray Stevens does doesn't change the point about what you do.

FWIW, I used the term, A-Rab simply to get a rise of people who - otherwise - seem comfortable in denegrating (sp)anything 'Christian'. Some may call that 'inconsistency'. Others might use words with sharper edges.

You seem to know a lot about Christianity - or at least you say you do - for an Atheist.

Your rants are ugly. Your positions are erratic. Your core values appear to be lacking.

Funny how you can laugh at SNL but refused to watch the Ray Stevens video. What's up with that?

Case closed.

>>Are you talking to me or heck? Heck's not an atheist, IIRC, but I am and considered myself a 'good' Catholic for almost two decades.>>

Not you, Vape.

>>He's YOUR lord and savior, not mine. If I want to make fun of this imaginary friend of yours, then I will.>>

Nobody said you couldn't.

But, again, you don't rant and rave about certain political (un)truths. You're pretty consistent on your beliefs and don't 'adjust' your position to rationalize certain events or people.

If it keeps us from going down a rabbit hole, use ethnic group instead of race. Whatever you please.

It's not a religion. There are Arab Christian, Arab Muslims, and Arab Jews, and Arab atheists. Arabs and Christians are not analogous. If you want to make an analogy to someone making fun of Tim Tebow for his beliefs, might I suggest making fun of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for his.

And John, I'm not an atheist. And I don't see how I'm being inconsistent. I just see you trying to say that since you're upset with me that means I'm wrong. But I don't think I am.

Making fun of God:

memes-god-does-indeed-work-in-mysterious-ways.jpg

Making fun of Tebow:

tim-tebow-stealing-african-miracles.jpg

If you really consider your God to be just and that he's defending you and your teammates, your moral compass, quite frankly, is fucked.

It's okay to make fun of them all, but if they made fun of atheists, hindus, muslims, etc, not enough people would care about it to make a difference. I'm an atheist, and if you think the 'political elite' don't make fun of us, you're a doofus.

Vapor, I think both of these are examples of making fun of human interpretations of God, not God. I don't imagine you think that a God - should he exist, in your mind - disapproves of homosexuality. It's just people that do.

Personally I don't know any Christians who hate gays because the bible tells them to.

I do know quite a few man who are physically repulsed at the thought of homo sexual contact but that has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of religious beliefs. I think that's probably human nature. Of course there are dozens if not hundreds of deviations and fetishes in the world. Society has decided to make some acceptable (though keeping them at arms length) and a few others taboo.

Vapor and I have discussed moral relativity before and found some common ground.

Still it's pretty clear to me that atheists and the pious alike believe that there set of social rules should apply to the world.

Heck, I don't suppose you're particularly inconsistent with your views of religion as superstitious rubbish.

Still I think you're happy to accept the insults of people like Maher As long as they're directed against a group you don't like very much. Hypocrisy?

And brother John, Christians over the centuries have had to deal with a lot worse than a saturday night live skit.

But sure, Heck would be outraged if that kind of humor will directed toward one of his protected groups.

It's probably just a couincidence that those group don't tend to vote republican.

:)

WSS

...Um, no.

First of all, none of the Muslims I know want to kill Americans because they think it's their duty as Muslims. I guess that means no Muslims want to kill Americans because they think it's their duty as Muslims.

I mean, come on, man. All you have to do is pay attention to the Republican campaign to understand that there's a swath of Christian America that doesn't approve of homosexuality, wants to keep it illegal, wants gay marriage to stay illegal, and even wants to keep a "moral exemption" for Christians who want to continue to harass and bully gay kids for being gay. Where do you imagine that Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum, Rick Perry, and many of their supporters source their disapproval of homosexuality if not the Bible?

How about when people directly quote the Bible to support their disapproval of homosexuality, like many of the people in here do? This is news to you?

What was it supposed to tell us that you don't know any Christians who disapprove of homosexuality other than because it gives them the willies?

And I have no problem criticizing or poking fun at these "protected groups" you speak of if it's done properly, or accurately. Saying, for instance, that all urban blacks are welfare criminals is about as dumb as saying all Christians hate gays. One is racist, the other is bigoted. So let's get real, brother. In between "All Christians hate gays" and "No Christian I know hates gays" is the reality. Let's live there.

PS - Maher's insult was directed at Tim Tebow, and Evangelical Christians like him who believe there's a Christian God who plays favorites after you ask him nicely, not all Christians. He also has a show, and a career, and made a movie where he makes fun of Muslims, Orthodox Jews, Mormons, Scientologists, and pretty much everyone else.

According to you, when he writes something similar about fundamentalist Muslims, or Jews, I get really offended. Except that I don't.

You keep believing it, though. Like that when I disagree with the guys in here about, say, the Ground Zero mosque, it's because I'm for mosques because I feel bad for Muslims, but I'm against churches because I hate Christians. It has nothing to do with upholding the American ideal of religious freedom and pluralism guaranteed in the Constitution.

And the people who didn't want that mosque have really strong beliefs, and obey the Constitution. Whereas I don't have any beliefs, and hate America.

I'll comment a little more later on, but I will repeat this: I don't really know any Christians who hate gays.

For the record on the rare occasion that someone quotes the lying with man quote from somewhere in theBiible, someone else will point out that there are many more helping the poor references.

As I see it Christianity is more about turning the other cheek, being meek and subservient, and getting the kingdom of God as a reward. That and not being concerned with material wealth.

That's certainly 1 reason I don't consider myself a practicing Christian. The reason I can't consider myself an atheist is because I don't know. I can tell you that's the biggest homo phobes and racists I do know personally art card carrying union democrats. (And no, I don't think that's a good standard to judge by either.) Maybe you have noticed, however, the fear the world wide media had about printing cartoons about mohammed.

Doesn't seem like anyone cuts jehovah such a wide berth...

But when I say your protected group I mean blacks, poor people and gays.

Now lets review: racism means that certain behaviors are as they are because of race.

So it would not be racist to make fun of certain attributes that might be affected and adopted by certain group. Still, as I recall, you got angry when I made fun of ebonics.

All that aside, when I think of regular Christians, I think of people like John.

By the way I have contact with a lot of Muslims too all of which seem like a pretty decent folks to me.

Still, I'd say that the world faces more danger in todays environment from Muslim extremism than from Christian extremism.

WSS

>>You keep believing it, though. Like that when I disagree with the guys in here about, say, the Ground Zero mosque, it's because I'm for mosques because I feel bad for Muslims, but I'm against churches because I hate Christians. It has nothing to do with upholding the American ideal of religious freedom and pluralism guaranteed in the Constitution.>>

Here is a couple of scenarios, Heck, and my take on them. They might be wrong but they might be right.

#1:

Muslims want to build a Mosque close enough to Ground Zero that it offends some folks - some more than others. The Right, for the most part, opposes this because of the imagery they perceive.

The Left - on the other hand - believe they should be allowed to build the Mosque where they want to build it because - they can.

#2 (Because I can't think of an analogous example, off the top of my head, I'll create a hypothetical. For the sake of discussion).

Ultra Conservative Christians place pictures of Homer Simpson around a sacred or, otherwise, important Muslim artifact.

The Right says they should be allowed to do it because - they can.

The Left - on the other hand - say the Ultra Conservatives CAN do what they did but should have used some discretion about where they did what they did. Maybe move it to another site.

My point - perhaps unclear from above - is the Mosque CAN be built where it is proposed to be built. However, because of the strong imagery it creates to some folk, coupled with respect for the families and friends who were directly affected by 911 should build their Mosque somewhere else.

Just because the Law allows you to DO something, it doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD do it. Unfortunately a lot of people get all caught up for causes they support and for causes they oppose without regard for consistency of believe or action.

Maybe this sounds crazy.

And the people who didn't want that mosque have really strong beliefs, and obey the Constitution. Whereas I don't have any beliefs, and hate America.

I'll comment a little more later on, but I will repeat this: I don't really know any Christians who hate gays.

For the record on the rare occasion that someone quotes the lying with man quote from somewhere in theBiible, someone else will point out that there are many more helping the poor references.

As I see it Christianity is more about turning the other cheek, being meek and subservient, and getting the kingdom of God as a reward. That and not being concerned with material wealth.

That's certainly 1 reason I don't consider myself a practicing Christian. The reason I can't consider myself an atheist is because I don't know. I can tell you that's the biggest homo phobes and racists I do know personally art card carrying union democrats. (And no, I don't think that's a good standard to judge by either.) Maybe you have noticed, however, the fear the world wide media had about printing cartoons about mohammed.

Doesn't seem like anyone cuts jehovah such a wide berth...

...Still, I'd say that the world faces more danger in todays environment from Muslim extremism than from Christian extremism.

WSS

Of course. I'm not sure that's even a question. And it's not what we're talking about.

And for the record, I know Christians who don't approve of homosexuality because they believe the Bible says it's wrong. Hell, Tupa disapproves of homosexual behavior because of what his religion tells him. You really don't have to look that far. But so what? The point is we don't use anecdotal evidence to make a point. It doesn't really matter to the larger discussion. It only matters if we're talking about our friends. And we're not. I'm sure your friends are lovely, Christian people one and all.

And yes, there are some very bigoted Democrats.

And I could give a shit if someone makes a cartoon Mohammed. The idea that you'd kill someone who draws a cartoon of your prophet is about as backward as any religion gets, and it's completely counter to democratic values. And I don't mind so much if someone makes a Jesus out of chocolate, or whatever else gets the Catholic League all fired up. I feel similarly about the flag. They're all revered symbols, and for the most part I hope they're respected and other people's feelings aren't trampled on needlessly. But Christianity, and Islam, and America are important for their ideals and teachings and principles. Those are the important parts. When those religions, or countries, aren't living up to those ideals, and someone wants to take it out on their symbols in protest, that's called free speech. You don't have to like it, and sometimes I don't. But this is the price we pay for living in a free society.

Making fun of God:

Making fun of Tebow:

Here is something for you to ponder while thinking about evolution

Genesis 2:7 The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
I wouldn't mock God either.

If Tebow was from the Islamic faith nobody would say a dang thing about him rolling out his carpet on the field and praying. IMO: That would be boastful and we are taught not to behave in that manor. We are to bring glory and Praise to Yahweh and we are not to use it as a badge of being holier than anyone else.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

But when I say your protected group I mean blacks, poor people and gays.

Now lets review: racism means that certain behaviors are as they are because of race.

So it would not be racist to make fun of certain attributes that might be affected and adopted by certain group. Still, as I recall, you got angry when I made fun of ebonics.

WSS

Next up, let's tackle this because it's all wrong.

Your definition of racism is not my definition of racism, and leaves off the major part. What you're talking about could be construed as "culture." What racism is the believe that certain racial traits make that race inferior, or superior. (Maybe we should have laid this part out first. Might have saved us a lot of trouble.)

So it would not be racist, necessarily, to say that blacks in America aren't as educated as whites. It's racist if the point you're trying to make is that they're not as educated because they're intellectually inferior to white people.

If you're making fun of Ebonics because you have some opinion about Ebonics, that'd be one thing. What I remember is you typing out black lingo as a substitute for how all black people talk, even if they don't talk like that.

...Would it help you if I told you that I don't know any black people who talk like that?

You don't know the difference between generalizing to make a point, and over-generalizing to express a prejudice. And if you can't see how describing inner city black voters as "illiterate criminals on welfare" is both a racist and prejudiced statement, then I don't know what to tell you.

And do statements like that make me wonder about you when you sub in your Ebonics rendition of how black people talk? Yeah, it does. Does it help me understand that what you're really doing is expressing your highbrow opinion of the self-segregating nature of regionalized speech? No, it doesn't.

So you shouldn't wonder why I treat your forays into race politics with a little concern. I don't think you see things all that clearly. I think your views on race are trapped somewhere in the early 80s.

Archived