THE BROWNS BOARD

Gruden To The Rams?

WRREBEL

People familiar with Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s plans said Monday that Kroenke is waiting for Spanos to make a move on Smith. If Smith is available, league and agent sources strongly indicated that Smith will be hired as Rams’ general manager and bring along Jon Gruden as head coach.

Sources said Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012 and that his current employer, ESPN, is already preparing for his departure.

Spokesmen for ESPN and the Rams declined comment on Monday night.

Smith also declined comment when asked both about his future employment or his association with Gruden.

at least we have the Shurmur huh?

Gruden is fire, a truly offensive minded coach that loves the game..

Shurmur is ice, just another dimwitted statue coach on the sideline of the cleveland browns much more like an overly conservative defensive minded idiot than an offensive minded coach..

Shurmurs approach to the offense has been a really big disappointment this year and i expect the same next year, this guy should not be calling plays or making critical decisions..

2 more years of this crap and we will be begging for RAC or mangini to return..

That's unfair to say he isn't good with your qbs. Who has he had??

Chris simms?? Mccown??

I love it how people say he isn't good with young qbs when he hasn't had a good young qb.

Oh by the way where are all those gay bucs fans who said raheem morris was so much better than gruden.. hahahaha

ESPN today announced Gruden "signed a multi-year extension with ESPN this fall and remains committed to being a part of Monday Night Football for many years."

Ram fans are speculating that the San Diego GM encouraged that rumor to keep a foothold in San Diego. Bottom line, ESPN did throw water on the rumor, but on the other hand Gruden hasn't said anything. I have a sense most Ram fans are hoping for Fisher.

Regarding Shurmur - as I said before having Shurmur as an OC was a painful experience, sort of like intensely disliking a situation where one guy had the power to turn a football team into a timid display of gutlessness. But as I also pointed out on your forum, the Browns games I've seen this year showed me that Shurmur is opening it up a little.

As far as Holmgren goes, I was never impressed with anything about him. As a coach he never showed my much on the sidelines. We'd play his teams and I'd always scratch my head at his poor in game decision making. More than once I couldn't believe a stupid decision here or there - plus poor clock management. I've always thought Holmgren was one of the most overrated guys in football. I wasn't surprised with his lack of ability (in my opinion) he hired Shurmur. Simply a case of never being impressed with either one.

I don't mean to pile on negative thoughts. I really like the Browns. And maybe Shurmur will turn out to be a good coach - but - he'll probably never be as aggressive as I'd like a coach to be. Personally I like super aggressive coaching such as a Chip Kelly type.

Archived