THE BROWNS BOARD

Play-Off Overtime Rules

BendMeOver

Instead of sudden death, they should just play a fifth quarter. And in the playoffs, it becomes sudden death only after time expires in the fifth quarter.

Don't change the game or the normal rules ... last man standing.

Z

I understand your position from a baseball and basketball stand point. But like the overtime rules for baseball and basketball the first one to score doesn't automatically win. I would be fine with just playing a 15 minute overtime period but the sudden death rule would have to be done away with. As far as soccer and hockey are concerned they don't have much in common with the other popular sports due to their scoring methods. Shootouts are necessary to prevent ties which is why you see shootouts in playoff/tournament formats. Im pretty sure hockey goes to shootouts in the regular season now but that's more to bring interest to the game then in the interest of fairness (although the points system evens it out). As far as the NFL goes they either need to go to a 15 minute period without sudden death and continue playing until someone wins (no ties) or go to the college system (where there are no ties). Their problem is that the 15 minute period without sudden death takes away excitement and the college system runs into problems with the fundamental properties of the game itself so instead of making a tough call they prefer to create convoluted rules in the interest of placating all parties involved but in the end, end up pissing off all said parties. Bottom line the NFL needs to decide between those two options stated above and stick with it. Those are the only two options that they can realistically pick while being able to say their overtime rules are fair to both teams.

My point about OT is that I want teams to play the game....not some bastardized, pussified version of the game.....that goes for football, hockey, basketball, whatever. The college system is a bastardized, pussifies version of football. Play fucking football.

Instead of sudden death, they should just play a fifth quarter. And in the playoffs, it becomes sudden death only after time expires in the fifth quarter.

Don't change the game or the normal rules ... last man standing.

Z

That would probably be OK....though it would not bother me if they played a reduced period, say a 10 minute OT period. That way the teams would feel more of an expediancy to score in OT...but also not just settle for FGs. Then Sudden Death if still tied.

Archived