THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Hire Brad Childress As Offensive Coordinator

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/01/brad_childress_closing_in_on_c.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- With Mike Sherman close to becoming offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, former Vikings coach Brad Childress is the frontrunner for the Browns' vacancy at that position, a league source told The Plain Dealer.

The Browns had narrowed their choices to Sherman, the former Packers coach, and Childress, the former Vikings coach, the source said. But Sherman spent Thursday with the Dolphins and came close to taking the job, where he would replace former Browns coordinator Brian Daboll.

That means Childress -- the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia from 2003-05 when Pat Shurmur was quarterbacks coach there -- will likely become the Browns first coordinator under Shurmur. The hiring could happen in the next few days.

Shurmur was his own coordinator in 2011 and called the plays. The Browns finished 29th in offense and 30th in points per game, scoring just one more point (218) than the 1999 expansion team.

Shurmur and Childress spent seven years together on the Eagles staff under Andy Reid before Childress left to take over as head coach of the Vikings from 2006-10.

But if Childress is hired, will Shurmur relinquish his play-calling duties?

Shurmur said during his season-ending press conference that he'd be willing to do that if the right coordinator came along. He acknowledged that he's good friends with Childress and respects his ability.

Childress, 55, did not call the plays under Reid in Philadelphia, but was on the staff for three consecutive NFC title games and a trip to the Super Bowl in 2004. Childress was the quarterbacks coach from 1999-2002, as quarterback Donovan McNabb earned three of his six trips to the Pro Bowl.

Childress was fired by the Vikings after 10 games of 2010 season after going 39-35 in his four-plus years, and 1-2 in postseason. The Browns did not interview him for the coordinator job last season.

Both Childress and Sherman are represented by agent Bob LaMonte, who also represents Browns President Mike Holmgren and Shurmur.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all do know this is the 6th Lamonte client on the Browns staff and FO..This is really troubling.

Is it me or is Holmy trying to get all his boys on the Lerner gravey train..This is getting comical.

He's going with guys he knows, guys he has worked with, guys that have worked for him, guys that he has had success with ... Belichick does it, they all do. Winning cures everything.

I'm ready for the cure.

Zombo

He's going with guys he knows, guys he has worked with, guys that have worked for him, guys that he has had success with ... Belichick does it, they all do. Winning cures everything.

I'm ready for the cure.

Zombo

And it just happens that most people who have worked with Holmgren and Heckert also have the same agent. If Childress had a different agent he would still be getting looked at.

Childress has a decent history as an OC doesn't he?... I figure with talented additions, the Browns can turn things up a notch.

I really have faith that this year we will actually grab some talented players that make people talk about the Browns as if they have a future.

Robert Griffin and Alshon Jeffrey are my hopes for the first round. Also hoping for a great running back in the second round.

Stupid question - Is Hillis worth Franchise Tagging or signing to a short deal that we can easily trade him with?

I really feel like this guy got a raw deal this year and if he hadn't had the Strep Throat thing with the Retarded Agent people wouldn't have reacted the way they did (including myself).

Childress has a decent history as an OC doesn't he?... I figure with talented additions, the Browns can turn things up a notch.

I really have faith that this year we will actually grab some talented players that make people talk about the Browns as if they have a future.

Robert Griffin and Alshon Jeffrey are my hopes for the first round. Also hoping for a great running back in the second round.

Stupid question - Is Hillis worth Franchise Tagging or signing to a short deal that we can easily trade him with?

I really feel like this guy got a raw deal this year and if he hadn't had the Strep Throat thing with the Retarded Agent people wouldn't have reacted the way they did (including myself).

He is not worth the franchise tag, but he would be worth resigning to a deal between 2-4 million for a year or two. We need to save the franchise tag for Jackson in case he doesn't resign and then Dawson if we do get Jackson resigned.

He is not worth the franchise tag, but he would be worth resigning to a deal between 2-4 million for a year or two. We need to save the franchise tag for Jackson in case he doesn't resign and then Dawson if we do get Jackson resigned.

Is Dawson really worth keeping around for that kind of use of the Tag? I know he is the 'face' of the franchise but he is a kicker. We need to move away from being a field goal team eventually if we want to win. I like his dedication to the Franchise, but in the end he is on the verge of being an 'aging' veteran too.

I'm ready for the cure.

Zombo

They don't ALL have the same agent..That is unque to onlt the Browns..if its not..Show me

They don't ALL have the same agent..That is unque to onlt the Browns..if its not..Show me

I don't pay attention to agents. If you told me that Holmgren hired Shurmur who hired Cromwell and Childress, etc., while removing the agent factor, I would say that makes perfectly good sense, they are all WCO guys that worked in the same circles. If you told me that coaches that work together in the same circles had the same agent, that wouldn't surprise me either.

I think you are making too much of this. If we go 10-6 then Holmgren did a great job of instituting a system, sticking to it, and bringing in the right guys to run it. If we go 6-10 then Holmgren brought in his cronies to siphon off Lerner's money and get rich and fat without progressing the franchise.

The difference between 6-10 and 10-6 is going to come down to playmakers, so I am much more interested in who Tom Heckert's personnel staff is going after than the fact that a coach is hiring coaches he knows with the same agent.

Zombo

Childress has a decent history as an OC doesn't he?...

not by my standards...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52940/childress-isnt-the-answer-for-browns

The Browns made the right call when they decided to add an offensive coordinator, and they needed to hire someone with experience.

lastname

Childress

But hiring Brad Childress -- who is reportedly the front-runner for the job -- is not the answer. The Browns really needed to push to get Mike Sherman, who appears to be headed to the Miami Dolphins to be their offensive coordinator.

The problem with Childress is his track record with offenses. In the eight years that Childress has been a head coach or offensive coordinator in the NFL, his offenses have ranked in the bottom half of the league five times.

The disturbing part is he's only been an NFL playcaller for one season. The result? The Vikings finished 23rd in yards and 26th in points (17.6 per game) in 2006 before Childress passed those duties over to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell the next season. Childress didn't call the plays in his three seasons as the Eagles' offensive coordinator (Andy Reid held that role) and he didn't call the plays in his final four seasons with the Vikings.

That resume doesn't inspire confidence that he will turn around a Browns offense that scored more than 17 points twice last season. Then again, it's hard to imagine any coordinator could really affect an offense that has major question marks at quarterback and running back as well as a void of playmakers at wide receiver.

If the Browns hire Childress, it wouldn't be the worst move. The team could have simply promoted quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple, but that wouldn't have accomplished anything.

Pat Shumur was overwhelmed in his first season as the Browns head coach, and he needed to have the responsibility of running the offense taken away. The only way an inexperienced head coach will succeed is if he has experienced coordinators supporting him. The Browns will have veteran voices with Childress and defensive coordinator Dick Jauron.

If I were Shurmur, I would rely on Childress' advice but not his play-calling ability.

------------------------------

he seems to get credit for mcnabb, yet gets no mention on the development of tavaris jackson or sage rosenfels. much like holmgren, the guys all hype generated from...well....outta nowhere.

i'm hoping for the best with this hire even though i wouldn't have gone in that direction.

1) too old - hey i just turned 50 so i know about getting old and the ageism and all...but c,mon the league is changing and the same old schemes aren't working with these new DCs that are riding the new wave, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

2) he is a holmgren cronie. just falling in line with a quote i had posted in another thread: "too loyal to some players and coaches." would it have killed you (holmgren) to look outside your loop and maybe groom a guy into who you wanted him to be? some young up and comer, not some old guy that looks like if he got hit on the sideline he'd shatter like a china doll.

3) his record. wasn't he the guy that sold his soul for an aging brett favre who was ultimately his demise? spineless.

as someone posted above i think it all comes down to the talent on the team and what heckert can do with this draft. even though this draft and free agency will not take us to the playoffs, our record BETTER be at least 8-8. then 2013 we should be playoff bound after another heckert win of a draft.

Childress has a lot of street cred as an OC. I saw an article basically touting his offenses with Philly and McNabb going to the probowl 3 times when he was the QB coach for him.

That being said, I live up here in MN, and Childress was a horrible, horrible, horrible head coach. I actually think he will make a good OC for the Browns though.

his offenses in philly? sigh.....

he was reids coffee fetcher in philly, and didn't call any plays in his 3 years there. as HC in minnesota, he tried HC/OC one year and gave it up. and im sure you saw all the reports during that one year about how predictable and bland the vikes O was?

so where does he get this street cred as an OC when he's never done the job of an OC before?

his offenses in philly? sigh.....

he was reids coffee fetcher in philly, and didn't call any plays in his 3 years there. as HC in minnesota, he tried HC/OC one year and gave it up. and im sure you saw all the reports during that one year about how predictable and bland the vikes O was?

so where does he get this street cred as an OC when he's never done the job of an OC before?

to be fair frazier's offense is nearly identical, I think he'll be better than Shurmur though which isn't exactly saying much heh.

to be fair frazier's offense is nearly identical, I think he'll be better than Shurmur though which isn't exactly saying much heh.

think im missing the point....bevell was still OC the year after childress was fired. then they hired musgrave last year. im not sure the type of system, or the fact it didn't change after his departure means anything in regards to his (lack of) experience and ability to call plays.

what im getting at is trying to get people to judge a person on their merits rather than perceived success due to whom they have hitched their wagon. e.g., childress success was predicated on by andy reid. childress was essentially the QB coach.....yet to say childress is a decent OC because philly had a good offense is simply an incorrect evaluation.

I would have preffered bruce arians who knows a thing or two about our conference...but oh, well Walter White will have to do....i do agree this will be a disaster and this locker room will become a cauldron of dissent by October.

The same Bruce arians that everyone thought was a terrible OC when he was our OC??

Bob Lamonte = WCO agent?

Archived