THE BROWNS BOARD

How Long Should Front Office's Be Kept Around

BitchTits

Just curious as i listen to the fan in cleveland, and i hear alot of ppl saying that we should fire holmgren and heckert.

How long should a group be given to make a winner? Should we go the 8+ or so years that the bengals have given there coach even though they have only been competitive for 4 of thos years or so? or should we go the route of oakland who turns there group over every year or 2 installs new systems, has players who constantly dont fit due to turnover etc.?

I just thought it was odd that ppl were already calling for there heads. personally i think you need 4 years min. you have to clear the players off the team that dont fit your system in the first 2 years, while drafting rookies that will not fully perform till around year 3 of there time in the league. i think its year 4 that shows whether a team is on the right track winning wise.

Just curious if anyone else thought they should go, and why, and how long they should be given if we keep them.

5yrs max. any semi-decent FO should be able to turn out at least a respectable product in 5yrs. 8-8 9-7 records AT LEAST. like i said, this is just doing the minimum to keep you job. but between 2-3yrs to clean house/build the team you want and another 1-2yrs to smooth out the rough edges and present your team as you envisioned them.

How long does it take to judge the quality of the personnel decisions the FO has made? I think the OP is on the right track with the 4-year Min, but you have to adjust on the fly.

If the futility of the path being taken shows earlier than in 4-years, you make a change. Doesn't Detroit wish they'd done this in the Matt Millen era?

On the other hand if the talent level looks to be on the upturn, like I think it is fair to say is true in the case of Heckert, then I think you keep refreshing the clock.

I think how long Holmgren stays will be determined by the amount of heat in the proverbial kitchen... If we make the playoffs in 2013 and 2014, I can't see him leaving...

I can generally tell if a regime is going to pan out with certainty within 2 fully uninhibited seasons, beginning with the coaching staff and player talent available to them and how they use it vs what the regime wants to do and the talent they bring in to back it..

My experience with these FO types is that they are often arrogant and hard headed and that their thinking is either dead right or dead wrong and even if they are dead wrong they wont admit it and will still move forward as planned regardless..

While this is "the big no shows" third year his first year was wasted with the poor decision of retaining mangini when he knew mangina was not his guy all along and then last years lockout overwhelmed and doomed the browns poorly timed addition of the new systems right along with the literally wet behind the ears raw newbie head coach from day one..

While "the big no show" appears to be a big bust in and of himself, i still think the people he surrounded himself with on the football side of the job namely tom heckert, dick jauron and now brad childress are all capable people and are quite capable of pulling this regime and team out of the mud providing "the big no show" and his pet sidekick pat "the non offensive minded" newbinator stand clear and let the others do their jobs..

A few years ago, I drove a piece of farm equipment on a 18' trailer out to the yearly auction out in Amish country. I got to the auction (it was a piece of equipment we

replaced with a newer, bigger one, a disc)...and pulled up to the gate, manned by two somber looking, old Amish guys sitting on a bench.

I got out and said hi, and asked which way I should turn further down for this disk, they told me, and then said they think the lady in the car behind me wanted something.

She got out, and walked up to me, and tearfully apologized, but said my trailer had kicked up a stone while she was following me, and the stone put a big chip

in her windshield. She was upset because her husband had just bought her this new car. Well, I just smiled and gave her my insurance agent's number, and said

I have great insurance, and it would be fixed as good as new, no problem. And, if her husband was upset, to have him call me and I'd apologize personally over the phone.

She thanked me, and the two guys sitting there nodded to me in approval.

And, I said, if she wanted, when she drove back down the road, I could follow her and she could kick up a stone and it could hit my windshield so we'd be even.

Well, she took me seriously for a second, and realized I was kidding her, and the two old guys were laughing like I have never seen two old somber Amish guys laugh.

So, the horse hitched up to the buggy around the corner from the two Amish guys? That horse could have written a far better beginning to this thread.;)

Archived